UKC

My Rack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DanMc 12 May 2012
Sorry but I am very happy with my gear rack at home and I just had to share it!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/72843715@N06/7183347306/

Has anyone else got photos of their set up at home?
 NIGBEE 12 May 2012
In reply to DanMc:

I just could not be bothered to pack/unpack every time I went climbing.

Mine is in my sack ready to go

But if it makes you happy
 Nordie_matt 12 May 2012
In reply to DanMc:

Not going to lie here. . . I LOVE it! (I have serious ocd regarding my racks order!)
 Petarghh 12 May 2012
In reply to DanMc: Seems to have spent more time hanging up his shiny, unscratched gear than climbing with it

Pete.
 Ian Hinkins 12 May 2012
In reply to DanMc:
UV damage?
 Chris Harris 12 May 2012
In reply to DanMc:
Maybe you should send a submission to ratemyrack
 brokenbanjo 12 May 2012
In reply to Ian Hinkins:

My thoughts exactly! I prefer stuffed in my crag sack, under the bed.
OP DanMc 13 May 2012
In reply to Petarghh: I do admit that is true. But as I can't get out often the least I can do is display my gear
 geordiepie 13 May 2012
In reply to DanMc:

> the least I can do is display my gear

Mind you don't end up on the register then!

Hannes 13 May 2012
In reply to DanMc: Thanks for the reminder, I should probably sort it out, the climbing cupboard is overflowing and spilling out into the hallway
 mataius 13 May 2012
I am very jealous... that's awesome.
 frazzy4 13 May 2012
In reply to DanMc: Impressive, would look even better with a couple of zeros
 Milesy 13 May 2012
Too shiny and clean!

Mine is racked on a length of cord in the boot of the car ready to go at the drop of a hat. Belay plate, some screwgates and slings never leave the harness gear loops.
In reply to Ian Hinkins: That's the first thing I thought too, keep it somewhere dark.
 jimjimjim 13 May 2012
In reply to DanMc: New to climbing are we?
I bet it doesn't look like that in a few years when you own your own house....but for now, enjoy.
 wilkie14c 13 May 2012
In reply to DanMc:
Did you used to play dungeons and dragons? My rack is still in the boot of my car from last week. Next to the oil.
Seriously mate you wanna get you priorities straight, if you have shelf room to spare like that you need to fill it with beer
 Howardw1968 13 May 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
It's a shelf not a fridge where beer should be
 Howardw1968 13 May 2012
In reply to DanMc:
Wow I feel inferior I just chuck our few bits in an ikea plastic box.
 Puppythedog 13 May 2012
In reply to DanMc: I like it Dan, I cherish my rack and what it enables me to do. I have thought about making something like that but whenever I've had the time I either can't be arsed or I go climbing
 JanBella 13 May 2012
In reply to DanMc: so you are not ready to go climbing on a second notice? mine gear is in a bag by the door always ready to go ....
 Fredt 13 May 2012
In reply to Howardw1968:
> (In reply to blanchie14c)

> It's a shelf (not a fridge) where beer should be.

Fixed that for you.

Keeping your gear on a shelf is almost as bad as keeping beer in a fridge.

Steve John B 13 May 2012
In reply to DanMc: I want to keep sneaking in and swapping a couple of the cams round to f*ck with your head
 TobyA 13 May 2012
In reply to Double Knee Bar:
> That's the first thing I thought too, keep it somewhere dark.

Totally agree. Once your kit is dry, it goes in a bag, in a cupboard, away from the light. leaving it hanging anywhere where it can get sun on it is a bad idea.

jules699 13 May 2012
In reply to DanMc: waay too organised! You have too much time on your hands...
 Howardw1968 13 May 2012
In reply to Fredt:

Can you also fix the hole in my wallet that money keeps disappearing through and make the day 28 hours so I have time to climb?
 wilkie14c 13 May 2012
In reply to Ian Hinkins:
> (In reply to DanMc)
> UV damage?

Seriously? A weeks climbing in Spain would see more sunlight that ten years in the UK
 TobyA 14 May 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

> Seriously? A weeks climbing in Spain would see more sunlight that ten years in the UK

I'm pretty certain that's bollocks, but why risk it anyway?
 wilkie14c 14 May 2012
In reply to TobyA: you wouldn't say that if you were here this spring, its never stopped raining here for weeks!
 Reach>Talent 14 May 2012
In reply to Ian Hinkins:
UV damage?

I'm pretty sure that glass has a fairly high UV absorbance across the ranges that are likely to do any damage, when working with UV you tend to have to avoid glass optics as the transmission is rubbish (Quartz is better).

mmmhumous 15 May 2012
 Lurkio 15 May 2012
In reply to DanMc:

Is that the new Pünta range from Ikea?
 Voltemands 15 May 2012
In reply to DanMc: Love the organisation. But shouldn't slings be protected from UV or is that just the hyper-cautious brigades line?
 Camm 15 May 2012
In reply to DanMc:
I do try and keep my gear organised but it always ends up left in bottom of a rucksack in my boot! Although it is nice being able to jump into your car last minute without running around the house looking for my missing climbing shoe.
Don't know if the UV thing will be a problem as modern glazing is disgned to minimise UV rays passing through to help prevent fires. Though saying that if I do happen to store my gear it's always in a cool dark cupboard.
 Cake 15 May 2012
In reply to DanMc:
Nice rack Dan, shame you can't get out at a moment's notice like the other gloaters. It does look like a pain in the bum to get off though.

I didn't realise these UV caution comments were serious! A bit of tat left out in the sun all the time does need regular replacement, but inside a house with much less light and no UV rays coming through is quite a different matter.
 metal arms 15 May 2012
In reply to Voltemands:
> (In reply to DanMc) Love the organisation. But shouldn't slings be protected from UV or is that just the hyper-cautious brigades line?

I only use slings and gear that could suffer from UV damage if climbing at night.

My standard daytime rack is wires, carabiners and a number of bike chains linked together to form a rope. I attach the chain round my waist using a chain tool (available from most bike shops) as I am worried about UV damage to my harness.

Safety first kids. Be careful out there.
 Cake 15 May 2012
In reply to metal arms:

> I only use slings and gear that could suffer from UV damage if climbing at night.

And the moon is not out. My cousin once told me that you mustn't leave your clothes on the line overnight because the moon will bleach them

metal arms 15 May 2012
In reply to Cake:
> (In reply to metal arms)
>
> [...]
>
> And the moon is not out. My cousin once told me that you mustn't leave your clothes on the line overnight because the moon will bleach them

Don't be so ridiculous. It's the stars.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...