UKC

DESTINATION GUIDE: Los Mallos de Riglos

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 14 May 2012
1 pitch to go, 5 kbPaul Bennet gives us the lowdown on the famous conglomerate towers of Riglos, Spain.

"When the nearby tufa paradise of Rodellar is suffering from seepage (or just simply for a change of scene), climbers flock to the 300m orange towers for something a little different, and Riglos is certainly that..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=4614

In reply to UKC Articles: I want to go back there - Mozkitos is an astonishing route, shame the weather crapped out half way through as I wanted to try Fiesta!
 Adam Lincoln 14 May 2012
The article seems to have Fiesta down as 6c+.
In reply to Adam Lincoln: I was told its at least 7a and that the crux is near the top?
 Adam Lincoln 14 May 2012
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
> (In reply to Adam Lincoln) I was told its at least 7a and that the crux is near the top?

Crux is the third pitch, or second if you link the first two as most do. Top is easy on the biggest jugs you could imagine.

Its not at least 7a, its a tough 7a, but it is 7a. Certainly not 6c+ like article says.
In reply to Adam Lincoln: Gotta love a good sandbag!
 kevin stephens 14 May 2012
In reply to UKC Articles:
Nice article, but shame to omit mention of the fantastic and classic Gogarth E3 experience of the 10 pitch route on the Fire tower
 Paul B 15 May 2012
In reply to Adam Lincoln:
and so too does the new local guide and the list of pitches we used. The groove is easier if you use an unobvious sequence. I could go on but it seems a little unnecessary.

Regarding the fire, I struggled to find topos and comments so it was put off for another visit. I'd be interested in hearing details about the good stuff on it, the outdated guide just had a lot of question marks for the gear etc.

mosseee 15 May 2012
Went on a two month road trip round spain, left santander after 5 hours of driving Hannah nearly crashed the van in to the river. We new of riglos but not where it was, we spent a few days climbing here and found the unreal Via Ferrata, still have no idea what we did as we didnt have a guide book (still dont). If youve not been book now its Mucking fental.
 Alun 16 May 2012
In reply to UKC Articles:
Biceps is one of the most mind-blowing routes I've ever done. The low down crux pitch is 7a and completely out of character with the rest of the route , so making things nice and varied. The upper pitches, taken on their own, are probably not worth anything more than 6b+/6c - although my arms were cramping a bit by then!

Yet, I'm not in a massive rush to go back to Riglos. It makes for a great day/weekend out, but once the novelty of yarding on massive pebbles wears off, there is not much variation or interest to the actual climbing. Undoubtedly worth a visit, but maybe more as part of a larger trip to north-east Spain, as opposed to a destination in itself.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...