UKC

Camping in pembroke

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 steve-grigg 14 May 2012
Hi, Im park of Cardiff Uni mountaineering club and we are heading to Pembroke in June, can anyone advise any campsites which would suit us?

Cheers in advance

Steve
 Ann S 15 May 2012
In reply to steve-grigg:

I have only ever used the campsite in. St.Petrox. Very basic but very pleasant location. I think there is no need to book-just turn up and pick your spot. Enjoy. The climbing is brill.
 Rob84 15 May 2012
In reply to steve-grigg: there's two campsites in Bosherston right next to each other, within a couple of minutes walk of the pub, 5mins drive of St Govans car park for most of the crags and cheap (£3 pppn if I remember correctly). The one on the right as you face the entrances has toilets, whereas the left one didn't last time I checked (might have changed now though). No need to book, you can just turn up, pitch tents and the farmer comes to collect money the following morning - he's a top bloke too.
 Rachel Slater 15 May 2012
In reply to steve-grigg: The one on the left is cheaper if there are more of you as its £4 per tent per night.
OP steve-grigg 15 May 2012
Do they have a problem with you getting there late? As it is likely we wont be there till gone 10
 Rob84 15 May 2012
In reply to steve-grigg: you'll be fine as long as you keep the noise down
 Max factor 15 May 2012
In reply to Rob84:

i thought the proper Bosherton campsite has closed when new owners bought the site a year or two back.

On ban hols the next door farmer lets you use a field for £3 a night, but facilities are basically a tap and the loos next to ma westons.

So St Petrox for us, but it's no where near a pub.
OP steve-grigg 15 May 2012
In reply to steve-grigg: Thanks for all the advice people, i cant wait for this trip and it will be the main thing getting me through exams
 Rob84 16 May 2012
In reply to Max factor: There were two campsites right next to each other last time I was there (two weekends ago)
In reply to Rob84:

Well, to call them campsites is stretching it a bit.

There's 2 fields, next to the now closed proper campsite which you can camp in any time (not just Bank Holidays). Well, I've stayed there in October with no problems (except a fox stealing our biscuits).

One of the fields has a portaloo in it and a tap. The other appears to have neither. There is a public toilet not a million miles away though.
Philippahm 16 May 2012
In reply to steve-grigg:
There's a nice campsite near Freshwater East with showers and proper loos, which is walking distance from the beach. Might be busy at half term though.
 Rob84 16 May 2012
In reply to victim of mathematics: I dunno - the right hand one is pretty much ideal in my book. A reasonably flat, grassy field with a toilet and tap is all I'm looking for really - I'd much prefer that to one with laid out pitches in precise 3m squares and a list of rules as long as your arm. That's just me though and I may well be in the minority!
OP steve-grigg 16 May 2012
In reply to Rob84: i have to agree. Basic does suit me, and a few student climbers very well
 Owen W-G 16 May 2012
In reply to steve-grigg:

Depends on how many nights.

If you are one night or two and don't mind smelling, then camp for cheap and within walking distance of the pub in Bosherton.

If you need a shower then class it up in St Petrox at marginally higher tax but drive from the pub. That's basically the choice. Good side burns on the old farmer at Petrox.

Have seen other students camp in the layby between St Petrox and Pembroke for weeks on end.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...