UKC

Tips For Running a Primary School Climbing Club

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MattH 16 May 2012
My lad's primary school is having a bouldering / traversing wall built at the moment and I have volunteered to run an after-school club. Wondered if anybody had any tips on coaching a dozen primary school-aged kids for 1-hour sessions?

I have been in touch with the BMC who have given me some advice on risk assessments, consent forms etc. There will be a member of staff from the school present so no CRB issues. Just after some pointers from those with experience on how to go about the sessions.

Cheers,
Matt
 williemiller 16 May 2012
In reply to MattH:

Get a copy of Climbing Games by Paul Smith. It's a great tool for working with kids. Good luck
 JH74 16 May 2012
In reply to MattH:

No pointers really but what a great idea, good on you. I'm sure you'll get a fair few ideas from others on here..
OP MattH 16 May 2012
In reply to williemiller:

Thanks. will see if I can get one. Sounds good.
 Neil Williams 16 May 2012
In reply to MattH:

I would run yourself through a CRB anyway. The parents will expect it if nothing else.

Neil
 winhill 16 May 2012
In reply to Neil Williams:
> (In reply to MattH)
>
> I would run yourself through a CRB anyway. The parents will expect it if nothing else.

Do you think they will? When it was suggested you'd need to register to give a few lads a lift home from a football match most parents seemed to think it was ridiculous.

Teresa May dropped the requirement to register last year.
Sarah G 16 May 2012
In reply to Neil Williams:
Then the parents can pay for it then. Tch.

Sx
 Neil Williams 16 May 2012
In reply to winhill:

CRB and ISA aren't the same thing, though.

And CRBs are free to volunteers, no?

Neil
 Howardw1968 16 May 2012
In reply to MattH:

Which school can I sign transfer my daughter there!

Well done for running the club. The school will advise you on CRB etc and their helper policy they are bound to use parents for other stuff trips etc
 ayuplass 16 May 2012
In reply to MattH:
Why don't you download the NICAS guidance and log books, they will give you a structure to work from. They will give you a 'lesson plan' of what to include as the weeks progress. You could even drawn up your own sheet of goals for the kids to tick off, they love it when they get to tick a new one at the wall when I'm instructing
 Paul at work 16 May 2012
In reply to williemiller:
> (In reply to MattH)
>
> Get a copy of Climbing Games by Paul Smith. It's a great tool for working with kids. Good luck

Cheers for the recommendation!

Matt find out what the County Council Outdoor Education guidelines are for climbing walls, and follow those.
 AlH 16 May 2012
In reply to MattH: Agree get Paul's book. Consider going on a BMC FUNdamentals course and NICAS will hopefully be going live in the near future with NIBAS- a bouldering version. If it runs like NICAS a centre nearby will become a primary centre and will offer training and advice for you on how to become an awarding centre. Keep your eyes open for when it starts up.
 Jim_Davy 16 May 2012
In reply to MattH:
I run climbing sessions with my class (9+10 y.o.) for P.E. on our traversing wall. If you want a copy of my session plans, you're more than welcome to have them.

Just message me over your email and I'll send them over.

Jim
OP MattH 17 May 2012
In reply to jeed:

Thanks everybody. Quite surprised with the number of responses, and their quality!

CRB - the school don't need me to do one so I don't plan to.
I managed to pick up a copy of Climbers Games by Paul Smith from The Climbing Works yesterday and it looks fantastic.
Saw the wall today for the first time. It's not yet finished, but looks like it is going to feature a lot of traversing.

Will reply to a few of you individually.
Thanks again.
Matt
 Nick_Scots 17 May 2012
In reply to MattH:
> (In reply to jeed)
>
> Thanks everybody. Quite surprised with the number of responses, and their quality!
>
> CRB - the school don't need me to do one so I don't plan to.

You need one, it will show commitment to CP principles and best practice.

> I managed to pick up a copy of Climbers Games by Paul Smith from The Climbing Works yesterday and it looks fantastic.
> Saw the wall today for the first time. It's not yet finished, but looks like it is going to feature a lot of traversing.
>

I run a high school club in and outdoors since 1997. Have my own kit at school etc. Email if you what some advice on sessions and funding sources.
In reply to MattH: The Outdoor Education Advisors Panel produce a set of Outdoor Learning Cards, which are essentially teaching aids for teachers.

Your son's school's Outdoor Education Advisor will be listed at www.oeap.info and your son's school could get in touch with them. In that way, the teachers involved in the after school club could receive some training and resources to use.

If any kids wish to take it further, then there is the the BMC Climbing Wall Essentials DVD, and a range of videos on our site looking at tying on, belaying, warming up and climbing movement.

Finally, the Warm Up poster is free form our online shop. It's another useful teaching aid to get the kids in good habits from the outset.

Jon Garside
OP MattH 28 May 2012
In reply to Jon Garside, BMC:

Thanks Jon!
 Ava Adore 28 May 2012
In reply to MattH:

Sophie Mitchell at the Tower in Leicester wrote a fantastic book for kids:

http://www.rockfax.com/climbing-guides/books/beginners-guide-for-climbers/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...