UKC

Cyclists with cameras

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 EeeByGum 16 May 2012
There have been a proliferation of cyclists taking cameras out on the streets and posting the resulting misdemeanours on Youtube. Here is a classic if somewhat amusing example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBLPb0LzQnA&feature=related

I note in this case, that the chap taking the video not only seems to attract a huge amount of motorists that want to run him off the road (maybe he wears Lynx deodorant?) but also calls out the number plates of each offending vehicle.

Does anything ever come from reporting such incidents to the police, or is it just the arrogance of the cyclist waving a camera in front of a driver as a rather sad threat?

PS Remind me never to cycle in London or with this guy!
 Skyfall 16 May 2012
In reply to EeeByGum:

Yeh, I had a guy with a go pro or whatever on his cycle helmet pull out in front of me on a roundabout without looking. I wonder if he posted that on Youtube..?
In reply to EeeByGum:

There have been prosecutions where the video was used in evidence. I saw one where a van driver was driving in a very aggressive/threatening/bullying manner for a considerable length of time. The owner was asked to name the driver at the time of the incidents and because he refused to do so (or couldn't) was fined quite a large amount of money.

Then there was the case that appeared on the news where a driver got out and assaulted a cyclist, I think that went to court as well.

Of course we don't see what happened in the ten, twenty minutes before the video clip but there's no way you can condone using a tonne or more of metal to threaten anyone. I can't say I'm comfortable with potential evidence being posted on-line or the "us and them" attitude it engenders.

To those motorists who think it is OK to use a car or larger to intimidate a cyclist what would you say to a grown adult who went in to a school playground and began pushing young kids around? It's just the same.

ALC
 jonnie3430 16 May 2012
In reply to EeeByGum:

I don't have half the amount of incidents he has, but I don't ride in London. Taxi's especially have to behave on the roads, so evidence like this gets drivers in trouble. Bus companies don't care, which is a pity, because many of their drivers are terribly dangerous.

Each of those drivers should be embarrassed by their driving, reporting it like this is a step towards getting something done about it.
 Toby S 16 May 2012
In reply to EeeByGum:

Some of those incidents are a bit hairy but many of them don't seem that bad. He's a bit of a gobby whingey git too. I think if I was cycling anywhere near him I'd be keeping well out of his way!
In reply to PeterM:

The incident I was thinking of was in London.

ALC
 JH74 16 May 2012
In reply to EeeByGum:

I'm with the guy in the video. I don't ride anymore but I used to in London alot and it's dangerous at times. Motorists behaving like a**eholes (like the vast majority in that vid) should be fined and/or prosecuted.
 muppetfilter 16 May 2012
In reply to Toby S: He seems like a very angry pillock and to be honest a bad example of cyclists. If he rode more defensively rather than hogging the middle of the lane going slowly then most of the film would be non events. However if that was me there would be at least three black cabs in the Garage getting new wingmirrors fitted ;0)
 Ramblin dave 16 May 2012
In reply to muppetfilter:
> (In reply to Toby S) If he rode more defensively rather than hogging the middle of the lane going slowly

Oh god here we go again...

Toby S 16 May 2012

Cycling defensively does mean holding your line on the road though and that means cycling out towards the middle of the lane if necessary. I'll do that if I'm coming up towards busy junctions or a roundabout and then go closer in to the kerb at other times, although I'll still be a good bit out from the gutter.
 Liam M 16 May 2012
In reply to EeeByGum: In such a piece he does come across as rather shouty, and seems to attract some both aggressive and defensive nutters. Does the way this has been put together portray a false picture of cycling in London, in terms of frequency and style of incidents, or is it really like this on a daily basis?

I cycle through urban and suburban streets on a daily basis, and do come across examples of reckless driving, but I could probably count on one hand the number of times when the actions of drivers have made me fear for mine or another cyclists life whilst commuting.
 Enty 16 May 2012
> (In reply to Toby S) He seems like a very angry pillock and to be honest a bad example of cyclists. If he rode more defensively rather than hogging the middle of the lane going slowly then most of the film would be non events. However if that was me there would be at least three black cabs in the Garage getting new wingmirrors fitted ;0)

Make your mind up

E

doz generale 16 May 2012
In reply to Toby S:

I commuted by bike in London for many years and the best way to cycle is defensively and always to assume that no one can see you. Forget about who is right and wrong and just protect yourself and others as much as possible.
Some cyclists put themselves in danger unecessarily because they feel that they are in the right in certain situations. Cycling in the middle of a lane when you dont have to is a prime example. you impede the flow of traffic and you put yourself at risk of angry car driver stupidity. It's best to stay visable but in a position that car drivers can pass if it's safe. I only hog the lane if there isn't enough room for cars to overtake safely (leaving a cars width of space).
 muppetfilter 16 May 2012
In reply to Ramblin dave: I write this as a cyclist and driver, both species have individuals that range on the spectrum from utterly oblivious to the other end of the spectrum with rabid swearing agressive twunts.

Toby S 16 May 2012
In reply to doz generale:

Thats pretty much what I'm saying. I'm not going to cycle right in the gutter because thats just as dangerous and I'll only take the lane up if I'm coming on to a junction/roundabout or those traffic calming chicane things.

Fortunately Inverness traffic doesn't really give me much cause for concern. It's mainly the old duffers from out of town who go the wrong way round the roundabouts that make things a bit spicy!
 muppetfilter 16 May 2012
In reply to Enty: To clarify for you Enty, I cycle with an awareness of what's around me, try to keep up with the speed of the traffic in built up area's, keep close to the kerb as much as possible.

If someone cuts me up, puts me in danger of being crushed or forced off the road I have been known upon ocasion to catch that driver up at traffic lights and politely tap on their window with a 14" Kryptonite lock while smiling. I would also not have many moral qualms about removing a wingmirror or doing some DIY pannel beating should someone attempt to assault me with a car.
 Enty 16 May 2012

Same here.

I suppose there is a difference between an angry person and an angry pillock

E
 MG 16 May 2012
In reply to EeeByGum: Given his response to even minor misdemeanours of other drivers and his webcam and predication for shouting out number plates I can't help thinking he goes out looking for problems. That said his argument with the taxi driver who claims he was nowhere near him but is complaining about his cab being touched is quite amusing.
 Toby S 16 May 2012
In reply to Enty:

Was it our very own Rubbishy that chucked a taxi drivers keys into the Thames after he had a close encounter with a black cab?
 robal 16 May 2012
hey thats my car....
 ClimberEd 16 May 2012
In reply to EeeByGum:

I didn't even need to watch it to know what vid it is.

He is exceptionally annoying and needs to take a chill pill.

Horse 16 May 2012
In reply to Liam M:
> (In reply to EeeByGum) In such a piece he does come across as rather shouty, and seems to attract some both aggressive and defensive nutters. Does the way this has been put together portray a false picture of cycling in London, in terms of frequency and style of incidents, or is it really like this on a daily basis?
>

People seem to be ignoring the words at the end about 1000's of interactions and only a few being like those shown in the video. Clearly a compilation. As to shouting out the numbers surely that is so there is a record of the offending vehicle.

I cycled for over 10 years in London, looks like the situation hasn't changed much.

gingerdave13 16 May 2012
In reply to EeeByGum: the guys seems like a bit of a tool to be honest.

but i'll admit he's had his fair share of incidents. However, i'd like to see what his commuting style is like from the otherside!
 yorkshireman 16 May 2012
In reply to gingerdave13:

The guy has a serious point but his crusading style seems to turn people off. A bit of a cycling Richard Dawkins.

I cycled for a decade in central London and had a few close scrapes but nothing like this level. I would cycle fairly defensively but I would say I probably only ever got into a couple of verbal altercations per year at most (not including shouting abuse as someone drives off - I mean stand-up arguments). I never got knocked off by a car thankfully.

The recurring theme in the video seems to be buses pulling at stops in front of cyclists in bus lanes where is evident they will cut them up. To me there is no excuse for this - they are professional drivers and should be accountable for their actions.

A lot of SMIDSYs there, which as a cyclist you have to accept as a fact of life. Most people aren't expecting to see cyclists going round Hyde Park corner when they're desperately trying to edge into the traffic - does't make it right but as has been mentioned above, a lot of cyclists would rather prove a point than be safe - it took me a while to learn that I'd rather live to bike another day.
 gingerdave13 16 May 2012
In reply to yorkshireman:
> (In reply to gingerdave13)

I'm not doubting his point, more the way he's trying to go about getting it across
> The guy has a serious point but his crusading style seems to turn people off.

exactly.
> it took me a while to learn that I'd rather live to bike another day.

i think the guy MAY need to consider a chill pill.

Morgan Woods 16 May 2012
In reply to Liam M:
> (In reply to EeeByGum) Does the way this has been put together portray a false picture of cycling in London, in terms of frequency and style of incidents, or is it really like this on a daily basis?

i maybe had the odd van turning in front of me say one a month if that, but then again i never rode south of the river.
 ClimberEd 16 May 2012
In reply to gingerdave13:

There's a big difference between motorists being annoying - but not dangerous - which might cause you to swear under your breath, and incidents which genuinely require extreme evasive manoeuvre and are very dangerous.

He seems to shout 'oiiii' and then yell out the number plate any time a car comes near him, as well as when it is actually being dangerous.

It won't win him friends from any quarters and he comes across as a a bit of a plonker.

gingerdave13 16 May 2012
In reply to ClimberEd: yup agreed..
 balmybaldwin 16 May 2012
In reply to EeeByGum:

I expect that if car drivers got in the habit of running cameras on their vehicles, they would also record a similar number of dangerous/selfish manoevers from other road users (the main culprits being other cars, vans with maybe the odd cyclist)

The standards of driving and the consideration of others by ALL road users in this country are very hit and miss and I think the standards are slipping further. The number of cars that try to bully other cars and cyclists I see on a regular basis is astonishing, but it's not just car drivers, van drivers are renowoned for bullying behaviour on the roads, Taxi and bus drivers are surprisingly poor given they are "professionals", I have a lot of respect for lorry drivers, it's like trying to walk down an ant infested path withour squashing anything, but again there are some bad apples in there (and of course the well documented problems of vision particulraly for left hand drive lorries

Some cyclists also fit this description, although they are often more justified in their outrage due to the personal danger they are in, however they should perhaps make more risk averse decisions (like don't go down the inside of a lorry waiting at lights) for their own good.
 gethin_allen 16 May 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:
"Taxi's especially have to behave on the roads"
I got assaulted by a taxi driver outside Sheffield train station taxi rank because he thought I was parked in the wrong place.
I probably was parked in the wrong place, but that's no justification for physical violence, it went to court and he got fined ~£900 in total.
Not sure if he would have his taxi licence revoked after such an incident.

From what I experience cycling around town, Taxis are quite bad but then this could be a sampling phenomena, there are loads on the road at all times of the day, every incident with a taxi is just seen as a taxi, whereas other cars are individuals, so for example if you get cut up by say 1 black cab, 1 mini cab, a fiesta, a van, a bus and a volvo you think I've been cut up by 2 taxis not I've been cut up by 4 privately owned vehicles.

One thing I've noticed is that people in vehicles don't care about pulling out in a way that is not really dangerous (ie not driving into the side of you) but forces you to slow down dramatically. If another car was to do this they would get really pissed off. It's like they consider you to be second class road user because you aren't a big enough lump of metal to make a mess of their car.
 Rubbishy 16 May 2012
In reply to Toby S:

Not me guv.

I did get on the very bus that over took me on Holborn and then immediately pulled in, squashing me against the barriers.

I think the driver understood the message I was trying to convey, through the medium of trying to rip his perspex panel off and rattle his head against his Oyster machine. I even got a round of applause from some of the passengers.

timjones 16 May 2012
In reply to EeeByGum:

An interesting cross section of incidents. Some genuine issues and rather a lot where he would do better to consider that you ocasionally have to realise that you don't own the road and should maybe lift off and let other road users filter past or into a traffic queue.

I suspect that he would be a real liability if he was driving a car. He appears to believe that he owns the road ;(
 jonnie3430 16 May 2012
In reply to gethin_allen:

"I emailed a formal complaint to the Public Carriage Office (PCO), which licenses both black cabs and minicabs in the capital. The PCO, I'd learned a couple of years before, has no power over allegations of dangerous driving among cabbies – that's a police matter – but can look into discourtesy or abuse.

After a slightly awkward exchange of emails a couple of days later where the PCO asked for me details of the precise abuse ("Dear PCO, as far as I recall, it began, 'You stupid f****** t***' ...etc") I forgot all about the incident.

Until this morning. After looking into the matter, a very efficient PCO administrator told me, they had decided to issue a formal written warning to the driver which will remain on his file. Repeated offences could conceivably see his licence suspended."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/green-living-blog/2010/feb/09/bike-bl...
 Timmd 16 May 2012
In reply to gethin_allen:
> (In reply to jonnie3430)

> One thing I've noticed is that people in vehicles don't care about pulling out in a way that is not really dangerous (ie not driving into the side of you) but forces you to slow down dramatically. If another car was to do this they would get really pissed off. It's like they consider you to be second class road user because you aren't a big enough lump of metal to make a mess of their car.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/delta-samui-air-zound-3-rechargeable-air-horn-pr...

I occasionally beep with one of these if that happens, I find it helps my state of mind to have one on my bike, though I let things go more often than I use it.
 balmybaldwin 16 May 2012
In reply to Timmd:

What goes where with that air horn? big thing in the bottle cage?
loopyone 16 May 2012
In reply to EeeByGum: From that video there seems to be only one asshole but you never get to see him.
 Timmd 16 May 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Yes, and the horn clips onto a handlebar mount. I've found that the plastic the horn is made from can start to crack if you frequently remove and replace it, so it's best to leave it where it is on the bike and work around refilling it with it still on the bars.

The max reccomended PSI is 85 or 87 or something like that, but I fill it upto 100 PSI with no problems which I think gives a little bit more time before refills. It feels sort of more satisfying to press when it's fuller too but that might be more psychological than anything. ()
Talius Brute 16 May 2012
In reply to EeeByGum:

The guy making the videos is clearly a complete tw*t and should not be allowed on the road. I cycle about 15 miles to and from work in London each day and it's really obvious from looking at the behaviour of some cyclists why drivers hate them so much - they ride as if they own the road.
 zoobizooretta 17 May 2012
In reply to Talius Brute:

which is why i bought a dash cam for when we hire vans and go into London

They're only £37 too http://www.ebuyer.com/291685-hd720p-car-dvr-with-2-5-inch-tft-colorful-scre...

Well worth it, for when a cyclist comes through on a red light, you too have it on film
Tim Chappell 17 May 2012
In reply to EeeByGum:

I can't be bothered to play the whole of this clip. But from the first bit of it, it looks like the cyclist is thinking "right, I've got my helmet cam on, let's start a fight with some motorists". He's complaining about a lot of stuff that wouldn't bother me in the slightest, and wasn't endangering him. If a car overtakes you then moves back in front of you that's fine, provided they do it at the right speed and with a bit of room for your elbows. He's just whingeing and swearing a lot over not very much.
In reply to Tim Chappell: Agreed, most of the clips require him only to slow down, annoying but hardly dangerous. A few clips when cars pull out in front of him (with plenty of warning) he doesn't slow until he's up against the car. Either he has shocking reaction times or he's doing it so he can have a go like you say.
M0nkey 17 May 2012
In reply to Toby S:
> (In reply to EeeByGum)
>
> Some of those incidents are a bit hairy but many of them don't seem that bad. He's a bit of a gobby whingey git too. I think if I was cycling anywhere near him I'd be keeping well out of his way!

^^^
What he said. It looks like he goes out trying to make trouble. Possible darwin awards contender of the future.

I have no problem with riding a defensive line on my bike, but i do have a strong ethic of doing everything possible to avoid collisions, because the cyclist always comes off worse regardless of who is right and wrong.
 Drexciyan 17 May 2012
In reply to EeeByGum: cheers for posting, priceless
 stevoland 23 May 2012
In reply to EeeByGum:

Pretty sure I followed this guy as I was cycling through London a couple of years ago. Would've overtaken him but was enjoying this running commentary too much.

"Going right! Right!"
"Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!"
"Come on boys! Think about it!"

It seems that in most of the clips the drivers aren't endangering his life - just not giving him the respect they would if he were in a car. I agree this is bad driving but he'd enjoy his commute more if he relaxed about it a bit.
 Tony the Blade 24 May 2012
In reply to doz generale:
> (In reply to Toby S)
>
> I commuted by bike in London for many years and the best way to cycle is defensively and always to assume that no one can see you. Forget about who is right and wrong and just protect yourself and others as much as possible.
> Some cyclists put themselves in danger unecessarily because they feel that they are in the right in certain situations. Cycling in the middle of a lane when you dont have to is a prime example. you impede the flow of traffic and you put yourself at risk of angry car driver stupidity. It's best to stay visable but in a position that car drivers can pass if it's safe. I only hog the lane if there isn't enough room for cars to overtake safely (leaving a cars width of space).

Word!

This used to be me, but then a few years ago I read something similar to what you've written and gave it a go. I'm not saying I no longer have near misses, I do, but they are much more infrequent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...