UKC

Turned Ankle - How long to heal ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nathan Adam 17 May 2012
Hi guys,

I kindoff aggitated my ankle yesterday while running and then managed to turn over on it (twice) while taking my local primary school football team training tonight. It swollen up on the outside of the ankle bone a fair bit but its been treated with ibuprofen, some analgesic cream and been sat up on ice for the past three or so hours. I'll keep it up for the rest of the night and treat it with more cream before bed and then rest it all day tommorow.

I am going to Wales next Friday and want to know realisticly what my chances are of it being healed up before then ? I should also add i'm going to the scottish cup final on Saturday and will most likely be doing a lot of bouncing around (hopefully!)

Kinda pissed off with myself as I was starting to get somewhere with some decent distances while running and was really enjoying my training sessions.
 joan cooper 17 May 2012
In reply to Nath93: Good luck if its only swollen and sore. I did that and had chipped the bottom of my fibula. It was 5 weeks before the pain went and even now it aches at night. I have to wait until the body absorbs or reduces the chipped bit of bone. Could be a life time oh well.....
Might be an idea to get it checked with x ray
 dek 18 May 2012
In reply to Nath93:
Get it checked out! I've done it a few times and didn't. The last time kept me off my feet for nearly a week, but it can suddenly just give way, and ache without warning a few years later!
 Toby Dunn 18 May 2012
ligament damage (ie a significant sprain) will take at least 90 days to heal.

If you get proper rehab advice (from someone looking at your ankle, not over the internet) I doubt whether you'll have any lasting problems. Good luck.
neilnevill 18 May 2012
In reply to Nath93:
Ankles are a slow healing body part, ligaments are too, properly resting an ankle is impossible for normal people....don't rush it now and regret it for YEARS.
OP Nathan Adam 18 May 2012
In reply to Nath93: Thanks for the advice lads. I think its pretty minor as the swelling has gone down this morning and i managed to go to work aswell, can walk on it and hold weight on it aswell.

Currently got a comfi grip on and it feels ok but i think i might just book an appoinment at the doctors to be on the safe side. Thanks again !
 LastBoyScout 18 May 2012
In reply to Nath93:

Once the swelling has gone down, a good exercise is to balance on that foot - this will retrain the bounce reflex of the ligaments, as they're currently stretched past their usual limit and need to re-learn what the limit is.

Not rubbish - advice given to me by family friend and qualified physio when I did my ankle.
In reply to LastBoyScout: Thanks for that, i'll give it a try in the next few days once it feels upto it.

The comfi grip seems to have really helped it a lot, can walk confidently on it. Booked an appointment for 4 at the doctors so hopefully it'll be fine and I won't have to spend my friday night in hospital.

I think thats what the initial problem was. I was running in a dissused open cast and had been running on a dirt track and decided to cut across a grassy plain and it was at a downward angle and the ankles been stretched slightly while running. The 2x i turned over on it yesterday just stretched it even further.
 steveriley 18 May 2012
Remember the GP wants to get you back to normal life - walking around, work, etc. You probably want more than that, so worth investing a bit of time on rehab, balance, proprioception, etc. They're much more vulnerable to rebuggerage for years. Bitter experience
XXXX 18 May 2012
In reply to Nath93:

Don't go to the GP. Go to an NHS minor injury or walk in centre. I got mine x-rayed and I was out within the hour.

In reply to Eric the Red: I'm not sure where my nearest one would be and seeing as I can't drive (because i dont have a license, not because of the ankle) it would be difficult to get to one !
In reply to Nath93: Good news ! Doc said its only a very mild sprain and should be about myself in a little while.

Will get up 10 minutes early tomorrow and do some light stretching and balancing exercises as I can walk easily on it now and its feeling pretty good.

One step at a time !
 tony 18 May 2012
In reply to Nath93:

Ankles are funny things - they can take ages to sort, but they can also heal surprisingly quickly. A couple of years ago I turned my right ankle coming down a slippery slope. It hurt like buggery, and to make matters worse, I had a half-marathon planned for three weeks later, and I could see that going out the window. I rested, iced and compressed for a couple of days, and was then able to go out for a run. Three weeks later I did a pb, so I was a very happy bunny.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...