UKC

Maffioli ropes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nigel Modern 18 May 2012
Health problems have stopped me climbing and I've taken up sailing again - this is our boat: http://www.uk-cherub.org/doku.php/boats/2685

Maffioli ropes have been recommended by experienced Cherub sailors for a particular purpose because they '...don't twist...'

Maffioli made the first nylon ropes and were used in the Italian K2 (first) ascent. They are an Italian family owned business...but I'm not talking Cosa Nostri. Their climbing ropes are not available in UK as far as I can tell...are we missing out?
 jimtitt 18 May 2012
In reply to Nigel Modern:
Interesting that Maffioli claim to have made the first nylon rope in 1954 since AMCO (part of Samson Ropes nowadays) made them in 1948.
OP Nigel Modern 19 May 2012
In reply to jimtitt: Any idea if Edelerid really did invent the kernmantel rope? This little gem of information came up during my googling of Maffioli
andyathome 19 May 2012
As far as I'm aware it was Edelrid that developed the kernmantel idea - in the early 50's. When I came on the scene in the late 60's there were still a lot of hawser laid ropes about being used for leading but they were certainly on the wane and in the minority; I've a sneaking suspicion my first ropes were Edelrid in about '69.
OP Nigel Modern 28 May 2012
In reply to andyathome: Ta mate,

Nobody on here appears to have any experience of Maffioli ropes...where's Luca S when you need him?

If you're reading Luca, all in jest and hope you are keeping well. Not getting to Alps currently owing to health but one of these days I'll pop in for a half litre with the best man on UKC
 Ian Parsons 29 May 2012

Unless I have missed something, there doesn't appear to be any reference to the current manufacture of climbing ropes on Maffioli's website; mention of the K2 ascent and the fact that nylon is a suitable material for climbing ropes were the only references to climbing that I could find.

I don't know what stage the manufacture of climbing ropes had reached in 1954; whether ropes were specifically made for climbing, or whether climbers simply used the most suitable ropes they could find for their somewhat excentric pursuit - ie nylon ones. Were the "Viking" brand ropes, grades 1,2,3 and 4, made by British Ropes (now Bridon) with which I and most of my contemporaries first climbed, actually originally developed specifically for climbing? I've no idea, but as soon as UIAA standards became the norm they disappeared off the scene. I notice that British Ropes were suppliers of climbing rope to the 1953 Everest expedition, but so too were William Kenyon and Sons; I think it's just possible that, in the days before Fall Factors, Impact Forces etc, and when the alternative was made of hemp or manilla, that the term "climbing rope" could cover a less precise range of products than it does today!

It's entirely possible, or course, that as a longstanding rope-making company, with the decades of technical knowledge and experience involved therewith, that Maffioli do indeed manufacture climbing ropes for one of the well-known brands; many leading brands in the climbing world have ropes in their product ranges, but few of them are actually rope manufacturers. I seem to recall back in the 1970s (memory's hazy so I may be wrong) that ropes were marketed under the brand name of Interalp, of which most climbers had heard at the time, that were actually made by a company called France Tresse, of which most climbers probably hadn't! Similarly the other way round; I doubt that Edelrid, or indeed DMM, have actually departed so much from their core expertise as to suddenly become shoe manufacturers, or that Mammut actually make their entire product range. So my guess is that either Maffioli don't make climbing ropes, or that they do and we're already using them but don't realise it. Or I've just spouted three paragraphs of total rubbish!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...