UKC

An Teallach and Northern Scotland region still snowy??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BruceM 18 May 2012
Hi

Does anybody know if An Teallach and surrounds has lost any of the plentiful snow it had on it a few weeks ago?

Most of the webcams up those parts don't work or don't show any hills.

Cheers
 steelbru 18 May 2012
In reply to BruceM:
Looking to Beinn Alligin from the south http://visittorridon.co.uk/webcam.jpg
 Mark Bull 18 May 2012
In reply to steelbru:

Is that not looking at Beinn Damh from Wester Alligin?
 steelbru 18 May 2012
In reply to Mark Bull:
Don't know, just copied the text from the Steven Fallon site www.stevenfallon.co.uk/webcams.html
 Mark Bull 18 May 2012
In reply to steelbru:

I think that might be out of date!
OP BruceM 18 May 2012
In reply to BruceM:
Yes. That particular webcam view isn't too reliable these days.

But certainly, it isn't near An Teallach.

Might get to see AT and/or above for myself this weekend, as there will at least be sunshine up there -- I hope.
Alexander Rae 18 May 2012
In reply to BruceM: There was snow well down An Teallach on Tuesday of this week but it has not been freezing at sea level ( I'm in aultbea), it has been mild today ( friday ), i would have thought a some of it would have melted by now though.
Alexander Rae 18 May 2012
In reply to Alexander Rae: If you put "Drumchork Farmhouse" into facebook search box there is a photo half way down the page fron Tuesday. I'm not sure how to get it in here.
 dgp 18 May 2012
In reply to BruceM: Was on An Teallach on Wed. Snow down to about 2,000 ft and more fell on wed night - traverse was in full winter condition albeit soft new snow - heavy rain removed a lot of snow the previous sunday. Similar conditions on the Fannichs but nearer the coast eg Quinag had just a dusting on the top which will melt quickly.
 TheseKnivesMan 18 May 2012
In reply to BruceM:

I live in Achiltibuie and I can see An Teallach across the bay from out of my window. Cloud level since Mon/Tues has been pretty low, but there's been a fresh snow dusting down to maybe 600 metres on everything down that way every morning this week (can see from Bein Ghobhlach South to Baosbheinn in Torridon from here).

On the lower hills like Sail Mor, Beinn Dearh Mor etc it's gone by lunchtime mostly, and the clag tends to hang around An Teallach, but from what I can see right now the Fannaichs are absoloutely loaded which means an Teallach may have a fair bit left. Probably will be soft and avalanchey though due to constant fresh falls and yo-yo temperatures.
 Andy Nisbet 19 May 2012
In reply to BruceM:

I saw An Teallach yesterday. It thawed up to the tops during the day so the amount of snow reduced a lot, but there was still a fair bit high up, though not on the steepest steps.
OP BruceM 21 May 2012
In reply to BruceM:
Thank you all for the useful reports. We went to Torridon instead.

Another fresh dump on the Friday night all around. But by Sunday Liathach was clear dry rock on the pinnacles and very nice in the increasing sun. A bonus was a great descent down almost continuous snow into the northern corrie for the return.

An Teallach looked very wintery as noted above. This (much awaited) sunny warm spell will no doubt change things there.
In reply to BruceM: An Teallach was wintry on yesterday - snow on the top couple of hundred metres.
 TheseKnivesMan 22 May 2012
In reply to BruceM:

Snow in my part of the NW Highlands all but gone now. A few streaks on An Teallach will be nothing more than a few square metres by the end of tomorrow. Even The Fannaichs and Beinn Dearg looking very bare. Think that's yer lot for Winter 2k11/12 season lads! Even Cairngorm starting to melt. Decent enough late season though all things considered. Only 4 or 5 months til the first fresh falls of next Winter!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...