UKC

Mounting a fingerboard with minimal damage.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 19 May 2012
I'm moving into a rented house soon and would like to put a fingerboard up in a beam. I think the landlord will be cool with it.

The beam is about the depth of a beastmaker, so not huge, and it is perfectly flat and painted white.

What would be the best way to mount a board so that at the end it is easy to return to it's normal state?
andy guppy 19 May 2012
 ilch 19 May 2012
In reply to James Malloch:

If you mount your fingerboard on a sheet of mdf several inches larger than it on all dimentions. Then place a similar sized piece of mdf on the other side of the beam and place a couple of heavy duty clamps and there should be no marking to the beam at all.
 Gilly0802 20 May 2012
In reply to James Malloch: A friend of mine hung his from a rig that sat in he could put through a loft hatch and then take down whenever he wasn't using it
 JH74 20 May 2012
In reply to ilch:

That's a Krazy with a capital K way of doing it! You'd be relying on maybe 2 clamps to hold your full body weight plus pull up forces etc. It would be a proper nasty slam if all that came off while doing front levers!

Just screw it to the beam and when you're done remove, fill, sand and touch up paintwork.
OP James Malloch 20 May 2012
In reply to James Malloch: Cheers for the replies, I've seen a similar system to the first link in CragX also which I had thought about, that could be an option.

And clamping wouldn't work in this case, the beam is only visible on one side, the other backs into the roof.

I'll probably just screw it in then cheers, should be easy enough!
the real slim shady 20 May 2012
In reply to James Malloch: Can you get access to the top of the beam? If so then you could make something with a 90 degree bend and screw it on top so when you move out the screw holes would be less obvious
 Paul Crusher R 21 May 2012
In reply to James Malloch: If you find you dont want to screw into the beam, this is an alternative.
http://tinyurl.com/d653hax
 JH74 23 May 2012
In reply to derek the dragon:

Tops of beams and joists generally have things resting on them..
 karoo88 25 May 2012

Hi James,
Have a look at this:
http://seriousclimbing.com/products/detail/compact-training-station
This is a great alternative if you live in a rented house and aren't sure about drilling into the walls or beams.
It snaps in and out of place in no time and is extremely stable.
 simon kimber 25 May 2012
Just drill! The beam is painted already, yeah? So all you have to fill in are 6-8 tiny holes and paint over them.
You really don't want to risk a shanty clamping effort coming off, especially if you do core exercises on the board. The consequences of it ripping are too horrible to imagine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...