UKC

Kid climbers make me look so bad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Amorino 20 May 2012
I've just got back from some indoor climbing today and I was shocked to see a girl no older than 9 leading a 7A. There was me top roping a 6 sweat pouring down my head and holding on for dear life only to be over taken and out climbed by a youngster.

She was amazing and was really showing some skill, she made it look so easy. I just wished I hadn't picked the wall right next to her.

bjhooker 20 May 2012
Children just love to climb anything and everything. My daughter is 6 and I caught her trying to climb my fridge. she got a really good hand jam in between the wall and the fridge!.. that's my girl!
 Max Clarke 20 May 2012
In reply to Amorino:
This happens to me way too often..
Keep telling yourself that they have an unsustainable power-weight ratio. I find it helps to repair your damaged ego, if you imagine them hitting puberty and becoming obese! Because I'm not spiteful, at all...

Honest.
 SonyaD 20 May 2012
In reply to Max Clarke: Sorry, it doesn't happen! Once they hit puberty they're climbing 7b-8a instead

Been watching the European Youth Championship qualifiers at Ratho yesterday and the standard of young climbers is mind blowing! And it's amazing indoors *and* on the real stuff before the wise ass comments start about them being not real climbers.

Howardw1968 20 May 2012
In reply to Amorino:
Yep I give it a year till Seren climbs harder than me she's practicing her knots as I type...
 Kane L. 20 May 2012
In reply to Amorino: Happened to me also, I'm complaining to my belayer that I'm too pumped and the hold is too polished, a child possibly 9 sailed past me to the top of the wall. I made the next clip but decided to retreat after the kid was lowered past me (inverted to add insult to injury).
 Howardw1968 20 May 2012
In reply to Al Randall:
What do you mean by something is in the process of being lost along the way?
In reply to Amorino: Now that the potential for death or serious injury has been all but eliminated there is no reason why climbing should be any different to any other sport and in that regard the younger you get started the better. In many ways this is a good thing but I can't help but think that something is in the process of being lost along the way and climbing is becoming just another competitive, physical activity.

Al
In reply to Howardw1968: Hard to describe but most young people I speak to these days do not appear to have any feel for the history of the sport and see improving their grade as being the only motivating factor. They also seem to be less inclined to put in the effort to reach crags in the mountains and are looking for convenience and easy access instead. There is little doubt in my mind that the kind of people taking it up these days are a million miles away from my generation. Not saying it's either wrong or right it's just an observation. There are of course exceptions, it's always dangerous to generalise.

Al
 Howardw1968 20 May 2012
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:
Cool thanks for the explanation. I'm not sure of the history but certainly aim to get Seren out on real rock even though there is none near Milton Keynes!
 Tiberius 20 May 2012
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:
> ...There is little doubt in my mind that the kind of people taking it up these days are a million miles away from my generation.

Yes. My son outstripped me a year or two ago. But he has no real interest in climbing outdoors. Climbing for him is a sport done indoors. As you say, it's not about right or wrong, it's just that's what the sport is for him.

And it's not that he isn't interested in outdoor activities. He's a keen snowboarder and cyclist. It's just climbing that to him is an indoor activity.
 Madden 20 May 2012
In reply to Amorino: Being in my late teens, I'm not sure which is more embarrassing; being outstripped by a 9 year old, or having some grizzled old fella sail up past you. I suppose the worst for me has to be meeting a 65 year old at the crag who solos things I can't even begin to lead...

I guess there are always going to be people who are better than you, and unless they're obviously at the peak of their fitness, it's always going to be embarrassing as well..
 Tiberius 21 May 2012
In reply to Madden:
> ...I suppose the worst for me has to be meeting a 65 year old at the crag who solos things I can't even begin to lead...

I'm in kinda limbo at the moment. At 50 I'm now old enough not to be embarrassed at being out-climbed by youngsters, but I'm not really old enough to embarrass 20somthing's when I solo things they're leading.

I think soloing does have a slight age thing about it. I grew up soloing, No.1 son climbs way harder then me (7c as against my 6c/7a), but I can solo things he has trouble leading.
bjhooker 21 May 2012
My god that baby is going to be amazing when they grow up!

Its a little harsh but funny that the parents have put the toys up high.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...