UKC

Spitfire over Bristol

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Pylon King 20 May 2012
Anyone in Bristol see the Spitfire doing aerobatics over the Avon Gorge today?
A truly wonderful sight and sound.
 Bobling 20 May 2012
In reply to Formerly Known as Pylon King:

Gutted! What time? There was some other horrid plane doing circuits over the suspension bridge at about midday but certainly not a Spitfire.
 Kemics 20 May 2012

I don't know much about planes. But the spitfire is so iconic, I thought it had to be one?

He was quite the showboater, barrel rolls and all sorts of hair raising manoeuvres. Im sure it's not allowed but I was really hoping he was going to fly under the bridge

Made for a very nice back drop to a day's climbing. A sharp contrast in sound to the morning when the gorge was closed and it was peaceful and quite. Im thinking they should close the causeway road one sunday a month so climbers can enjoy..
In reply to Bobling:

yep. mid afternoon. At first i couldn't see it but i recognised the sound of the engine instantly
 Dave 88 20 May 2012

Yeah definitely a spitfire. What an awesome sight. Probably the only time I've been climbing and thought "I'd rather be doing that".
 Trangia 21 May 2012

I'm envious! The sounds of a Merlin or Griffon are so distinctive that unlike any other aero engine, they always get me searching the sky for the source.
In reply to Trangia:

It was really low and VERY loud!
 Skyfall 21 May 2012

Isn't this where, traditionally, we diverge onto Mosquitos and post various Youtube links ...

Trangia 21 May 2012
In reply to JonC:
> (In reply to Formerly Known as Pylon King)
>
> Isn't this where, traditionally, we diverge onto Mosquitos and post various Youtube links ...

Oh yeah! Let's have an orgy of aircraft nostalgia.....

Skyfall 21 May 2012
In reply to Trangia:

It's fake but perhaps more evocative than a single plane at a display...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNJ8rIEPLOo&feature=related
 Skyfall 21 May 2012
Having said that....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EcCYA68m_w&feature=related

It's at a German display and you almost expect the guns to open up Whilst everyone misses the mosquito I don't think there's the much doubt the Spitfire was the most visually appealing aircraft ever built.
 Skyfall 21 May 2012
Having said that....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EcCYA68m_w&feature=related

It's at a German display and you almost expect the guns to open up Whilst everyone misses the mosquito I don't think there's much doubt the Spitfire was the most visually appealing aircraft ever built.
 maresia 21 May 2012

Yep. A fantastic sight. I felt pretty jealous of the pilot. Got a few pictures as well.
 Trangia 21 May 2012
In reply to JonC:

Yes the Griffon has a distictive sound, slightly finer, but more throaty than the Merlin. Both great though!

The Mosquito was another beautiful aeroplane - I'm not certain if they produced Griffon engined ones towards the end of the war?
 Alan Taylor 21 May 2012
In reply to Trangia: I thought that the Griffon was used in the Hornet, will have to check though.
 thermal_t 21 May 2012
In reply to Formerly Known as Pylon King: Awesome, would have loved to have seen that. I went to the Goodwood revival festival a few years ago, and the sound of the Spitfire and P-51 Mustang flying were my overwhelming memory of the day.
 Mikkel 21 May 2012
anyone going to this?
http://www.iwm.org.uk/events/flying-legends

And the Spitfire sounds nice, but still sounds like a toy plane compared to the Corsairs 18 cylinder engine ;0)

Had a crazy low flypast by a Lancaster last year at Rolls Royce's airfield in Hucknall.
pilot dive turned right on top of us
 Stefan Kruger 21 May 2012

There is (or used to be, at least) a Spitfire permanently based at Filton Airfield. When I was working out at Aztec West, we used to see it quite frequently flying overhead.
 owlart 21 May 2012
In reply to Mikkel:

Possibly! My brother lives down the road from Duxford, so may choose that weekend to go visit - he knows all the best fields to go sit in for a good view
 Mikkel 21 May 2012
In reply to owlart: i would like to know those fields, tickets a bit high, but a friend might come over from Denmark for it
 Bobling 21 May 2012
In reply to lithos:

Nice!
In reply to Formerly Known as Pylon King: ah the Spitfire. The DB5 of the skies. So rare nowadays it must have been wonderful.
 butteredfrog 21 May 2012
In reply to owlart:

After watching the video, I am now about to spank the credit card!

Along dad, father in law, and the boy!

Thanks for that you have just cost me a fortune.
 toad 21 May 2012
In reply to Formerly Known as Pylon King: Chris Woods:

Because when I hear them merlin engines in the white days of July - it's the sound.
They sing the song of how they hung a little fascist out to dry.
Kipper 21 May 2012
In reply to JonC:
> Having said that....
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EcCYA68m_w&feature=rel...
>

"3 Stuka pilots dislike this video"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...