UKC

Need vs want

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gingerdave13 22 May 2012
Must resist the call of shiny new gear..

Have seen a terra nova competition tent, but i don't have a pressing NEED for it right now.

Why is it that this happens, am I a magpie or something??!

AdrianC 22 May 2012
In reply to gingerdave13: Read Affluenza by Oliver James. Well, read the first couple of chapters as the rest of the book is kinda similar.
KevinD 22 May 2012
In reply to gingerdave13:

have you nicked one? If not then probably not a magpie, if so best not admit it on a forum.
 Mark Bannan 22 May 2012
In reply to dissonance:
> (In reply to gingerdave13)
>
> have you nicked one? If not then probably not a magpie, if so best not admit it on a forum.

I thought Scousers nicked stuff more than Magpies.
 nniff 22 May 2012

You'll be telling yourself it's an 'investment' next.

Mind you, given that most pf the financial products banks etc sell to the public seem to decrease in value, maybe it is.
 galpinos 22 May 2012

No one needs a laser competition. After every MM we say we're going to buy a new tent but but somehow, it never happens.

This year, however, we've gone palatial with the Easton 1 Kilo!
OP gingerdave13 22 May 2012
In reply to dissonance: hah... definately not a scouser
 Ramblin dave 22 May 2012
I've recently taken to applying a test of "does it either replace something that's worn out or let me do cool stuff that I couldn't otherwise do" when I get gear lust, which has kept me to fairly sensible spending for the last couple of years.
In reply to galpinos: but but but,, I DO I DO!

was trying managed to convince the missus the other that we didn't need(well ok afford!) a canoe, so perhaps then blowing 100quid wouldn't be good!
In reply to Ramblin dave: i think it's displacement activity..

have a lot of things to sort out at home (not counting the water leak next week), cars etc

I do try and do the self test, but appear to be failing miserably.
KevinD 22 May 2012
In reply to Ramblin dave:
> I've recently taken to applying a test of "does it either replace something that's worn out or let me do cool stuff that I couldn't otherwise do" when I get gear lust, which has kept me to fairly sensible spending for the last couple of years.

i sometimes use that approach although does have the downside that suddenly feel the urge to really stress test things or take a more relaxed approach to ownership and hence create the demand.
In reply to gingerdave13: hmm, i think i'm going to have to be doubly sensible, i'd forgotten that both cars need service and MOT in june...

yikes!

plus missus has started new job, so short pay month for her for may. grr
 Ramblin dave 22 May 2012
In reply to dissonance:

True, true...

But it helps a bit.
What Goes Up 22 May 2012
In reply to gingerdave13: If you're not into buying camera lenses, be very very grateful that you're not into buying camera lenses!
 Tall Clare 22 May 2012

What AdrianC said. Little things, big things, we're conditioned to like buying things... it helps us define ourselves (or so we (subconsciously) believe...)
In reply to What Goes Up: There speaks a man from experience but thankfully not!
 Trangia 22 May 2012

I understand how you feel being a fellow tentaholic. At one stage I only had 7 and eventually sold all but one. Sadly I've had relapses over the last 3 years and am now back up to 4 plus a bivi bag.

It's destructive compulsion and can lead to complications when your relationship finely breaks up and you move into a small flat with no storage or drying space.
 subseasniper 22 May 2012
In reply to gingerdave13: I am seriously lusting after a Delonghi esam 5600. A dream bean to cup coffee machine but at £730 I need to have a word with myself.

Luckily the wife has said no (for now).
 Tall Clare 22 May 2012

I have a theory that everyone has one thing that they're able to 'justify' more easily than other things - clearly for Trangia it's tents, whereas for me it seems to be books. I slipped again today
 Timmd 22 May 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
>
> I have a theory that everyone has one thing that they're able to 'justify' more easily than other things - clearly for Trangia it's tents, whereas for me it seems to be books. I slipped again today

For my dad it's CDs, he happily justifies it by saying it helps keep Record Collector in business in Broomhill in Sheffield, one of the few independents left in the UK.

It helps to keep him happy I guess, and he is right, though a guy on my drystone walling course pointed out any extravagance could be justified with that logic.

I get to peruse through his CDs so I don't complain (and I admire his self deception, he's not being weak willed but altruistic...). ()
OP gingerdave13 23 May 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: I seem to have a short attention span to activities (apart from climbing) so could need new kit for something, then in a year not be doing it again....

But it's just normally the ease with which you can get stuff on the internet and have it delivered to home. The age old: if you had to save, get the cash out and then hand it over when buying it, that purchase might not seem so necesarry!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...