UKC

How much would you pay to run a 10k?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 23 May 2012
The Manchester 10k took place on Sunday with around 40,000 people taking part. This event is part of the 'great' series organised by Nova International.

At £40 to enter, I and most of my clubmates don't other with it. Looking at the results, it looks like the vast majority of other club runners don't either. Out of 40,000 only about 400 ran sub 40 minutes, which suggests that outside of the elite field being paid or at least getting free entries, club runners are not turning out.

Did you do it? Would you pay it?

To me £40 is marathon money, by that said London is only £28 and I am doing the Trail Marathon Wales in a few weeks and that was £25.
In reply to The New NickB: It may seem more than people want to pay for a 10K, but it is way less than countless other ways of spending time on a Sunday, surely? If that sounds odd, just look at the droves of people aimlessly filling a hot summer Sunday by trawling up and down the city centre high street with a whole load of shopping bags!
 Dauphin 23 May 2012
In reply to The New NickB:

Loads of them will be running for just giving.

D
 Steve John B 23 May 2012

If you're a podgy middle-aged couch potato (nothing like me of course ahem) doing a challenge to raise money in memory of someone who died of cancer/heart disease/etc you're gonna feel a lot more comfortable in a "Great" (TM) race than some low-key local thing with a few dozen club whippets finishing in half your time. Plus the charity support & info packages are obviously geared towards the big races so one would feel a greater sense of belonging there.

I'd be tempted to do the Manc or a London one as a one-off 'event' rather than a race. Looks like a different sort of fun!
 Doghouse 23 May 2012

£6.50 a mile seems like a lot to me :-/
 Steve John B 23 May 2012
In reply to The New NickB: Short answer - it's not for club runners - obviously!
 gingerdave13 23 May 2012
In reply to The New NickB: paid £12 for a local 5miler the other day with 150 peeps

40 quid seems like triathlon money to me
OP The New NickB 23 May 2012
In reply to Steve John B:
> (In reply to The New NickB) Short answer - it's not for club runners - obviously!

You might as well say its not for runners.
 liz j 23 May 2012
I did my first 10k on monday evening, the run was organised by my running club. It cost me £7 to enter, there were about 250 runners, excellent marshalls, water and jelly babies at half way ans stunning countryside to run in. Much nicer than running around a town centre and didn't break the bank either!
 Ava Adore 23 May 2012

It might be news to you but there's actually a lot of people out there who run who are not in a club.

Original question - £40 far too expensive for me. I'd not pay much more than £30 for a race unless there was some reason I was desperate to do it.
 Banned User 77 23 May 2012
In reply to The New NickB: It depends. Having done a big city Marathon like Bostpn, £100 to enter.. but its pt to pt so lots of logistics, I can see the appeal of 1-2 races per year where I pay a bit more..

But if the organisation is a joke. I will complain. I recently did a half in the US which was awful. no toilets at the start, poorly signed, $100 to enter, 1000 runners, I was 3rd and got no prize... a joke.
In reply to Ava Adore:
> (In reply to The New NickB)
>
> It might be news to you but there's actually a lot of people out there who run who are not in a club.

Not at all, but it is a good indication of interest from regular runners.
In reply to IainRUK:

I understand there is little in the way of a club structure in the States, I guess the majority of races are organised commercially.
 Ava Adore 23 May 2012

It might be news to you to know that there are quite a lot of regular runners who are not in a club

The Shelf Puffin 23 May 2012
> (In reply to Ava Adore)
> [...]
>
> Not at all, but it is a good indication of interest from regular runners.

No, its a good indication of interest from club runners.
In reply to IainRUK:

I have done the Cross Bay Half a couple of times, it crosses a tidal bay (Morecambe). Point to point so requires moving people 30 miles by coach and crosses dangerous terrain so requires paid guides marshalling on quad bikes.

That was only £25.

I suspect a big reason for a race like Manchester is paying Gebreselassie, Makau etal to run. Not that I begrudge great athletes a pay day. A friend of mine was first VF50, I hope she gets a decent prize.
In reply to The Shelf Puffin:

It is analogous and it is silly to suggest otherwise.
In reply to Ava Adore:
>
> It might be news to you to know that there are quite a lot of regular runners who are not in a club
>
>

Define regular! I am not saying all regular runners are in a club, but most of the races I go to it is 75%+ club runners.
 Banned User 77 23 May 2012
> (In reply to IainRUK)
>
> I understand there is little in the way of a club structure in the States, I guess the majority of races are organised commercially.

Around Boston you do get much more small low key races.. and a good club scene.. in Texas most races, even low key ones, were expensive and no formal club structure.
 Richiehill 23 May 2012
In reply to The New NickB: You could say that about a marathon though, why pay £28 when it's free to just go outside for a run?

It's a lot of money yeah, but when we have loads of people overweight in this country I don't really see the problem with people having aims and goals, even though it is "only" 10k.
 galpinos 23 May 2012

My wife ran it. She was very complementary about the organisation and, especially, the atmosphere. For her*, having people shouting her name and encouragement all the way round really drove her to push harder than she might have done otherwise. She also raised a load of money for charity. I’d say for her, the £40 was worth it.

I went into town to see her finish and to watch some of the racing up and down Deansgate and regretted not taking part, the city was buzzing. I might even join her next year.

(The Manchester City and Salford City 10ks are both £18, £16 for club members)

*She’s not a “runner”, she likes sport and running just takes up when she could be doing proper sport. (Proper sport generally involves a ball in her eyes)
In reply to Richiehill:
> (In reply to The New NickB) You could say that about a marathon though, why pay £28 when it's free to just go outside for a run?

You get more for you money with a marathon. Racing isn't the same as just running, I am happy to pay for that. Even better when it is free such as parkrun.
>
> It's a lot of money yeah, but when we have loads of people overweight in this country I don't really see the problem with people having aims and goals, even though it is "only" 10k.

I have no problem with it apart from a) I wouldn't pay it myself and b) it gives the impression that racing regularly is expensive. I would love to see all these people supporting other events and getting fitter.
In reply to galpinos:

The city does buzz, I have been for the last 4 years, to either watch the elite end of the 10k or the city games.
 tony 23 May 2012

What's the cheapest race you've done? I did a hill race last week for £2 - it was excellent.

£40 is far too much for a 10k for me. It does seem a shame that the races aimed at the large numbers of slower runners are the expensive ones. I've done three 10ks recently. Of the three, the fastest was the cheapest (a small local school PTA with 100 runners), and the slowest was the most expensive (a charity event with over 1000 runners).

However, for a lot of runners, overall speed doesn't matter. It's the participation that counts, and the ability to raise money for a favourite charity. If you're after a decent race (i.e. fast runners and a competitive environment), a mass event probably isn't the best place to be.
In reply to tony:
>
> What's the cheapest race you've done? I did a hill race last week for £2 - it was excellent.
>
If you exclude parkrun (free) and local x-country league races (£4 for 4 races), probably £2 for a hill race. I pay £5 for various local 5ks including +£1 for entry on the day, I have got various club organised races coming up, the three day event is £12 for 3 6 mile races and a t-shirt for completing, the club 10k is £7.
 Milesy 23 May 2012
I refuse to pay those prices to go running. I can go running for free.
 wbo 23 May 2012
In reply to Milesy: you absolutely can, but you won't have a recorded time on a vertified course, and sometimes people want those.

Join a decent club and there will be a ton of free races you can enter, though they won't often be on a certified course. £40 to run a 10k seems crazy to me, and you'd better get a pretty good T-shirt for that. A friend organises one of these mass participation things tho', and once you've chewed thro' expenses and made some money for the charity it seemed to add up.
 yorkshireman 23 May 2012
In reply to Milesy:
> I refuse to pay those prices to go running. I can go running for free.

I ran 10km this morning for free

These things do tend to be more about the event and the 'buzz' and to less experienced runners there is something reassuring in that. I turned up to run a fell race on Box Hill once which was about £7, watched by 5 blokes and a dog with a bunch of serious runners hurling themselves through the pissing rain. I loved it, but I can see that for someone who is new to the sport, that is not the kind of experience they want.

I'm doing a 51km Ultra here in France at the end of July - its costing me €25 to enter so I think that has got to be my best value per mile race so far. Will be interesting to see how well organised it is though.

FrankBooth 23 May 2012
I guess in marketing terms it's about 'value added' features:
  • The event becomes a celebration of running rather than a race
  • The atmosphere that comes from running with 40,000 like-minded people
  • The insurance
  • Proper/detailed organisation (closing off streets)
  • The water stations
  • The option of an after-race massage
  • The T-shirt and goody-bag

Personally, I find big events like this a bit tiresome - I'd much take part in smaller local stuff without the razzmatazz
  •  Richiehill 23 May 2012
    > (In reply to Richiehill)
    > [...]
    >
    > You get more for you money with a marathon. Racing isn't the same as just running, I am happy to pay for that. Even better when it is free such as parkrun.
    > [...]
    >
    > I have no problem with it apart from a) I wouldn't pay it myself and b) it gives the impression that racing regularly is expensive. I would love to see all these people supporting other events and getting fitter.

Both valid points, however 400'000 people are willing to pay it. I'm with you. I wouldn't pay it either! Most people are just wanting to go for the run, not the race so why pay at all? Unless raising money for charity is your goal, in which case does any of that £40 go to charity?

Parkrun is brilliant, only problem is it needs regular volunteers. Volunteers on the 400'000 people participant would be close to impossible.

I have no better ideas though!
     Richiehill 23 May 2012
    In reply to Richiehill: My bad, 40'000
     Ava Adore 23 May 2012
    > (In reply to Ava Adore)
    > [...]
    >
    > Define regular! I am not saying all regular runners are in a club, but most of the races I go to it is 75%+ club runners.

I don't need to - your words, not mine.
    In reply to Ava Adore:
    > [...]
    >
    > I don't need to - your words, not mine.

Up until the point you made a judgement based statement in relation to those words, then your definition is salient.

My definition would be at least 4 times and 30 miles a week.
    In reply to The New NickB: £40 to run around manchester with a number on my chest! ha, i'd rather go climbing thanks.
    Anonymous 23 May 2012

I'd be surprised if Ava or anyone else gives a chuff about your definition.
    In reply to Anonymous:
    >
    > I'd be surprised if Ava or anyone else gives a chuff about your definition.

Well thank you for that. Do you have anything useful to contribute? I know it isn't the most important subject in the world, but some of us were enjoying discussing it.
     gingerdave13 23 May 2012
    In reply to The New NickB: not to stoke the fire, but i'd say i was a regular runner by the definition . Since i go for a run every Thursday (ok apart from tomorrow, but that's a work commitment)

Regular: Arranged in or constituting a constant or definite pattern, esp. with the same space between individual instances.
     Steve John B 23 May 2012
    > (In reply to Steve John B)
    > [...]
    >
    > You might as well say its not for runners.

You might as well deliberately misinterpret what I wrote! F*ckin ell you can tell you're a council accountant sometime...

"These events are not put on with club runners in mind". Better?
     yorkshireman 23 May 2012
    In reply to gingerdave13:
    > (In reply to The New NickB) not to stoke the fire, but i'd say i was a regular runner by the definition . Since i go for a run every Thursday (ok apart from tomorrow, but that's a work commitment)
    >
    > Regular: Arranged in or constituting a constant or definite pattern, esp. with the same space between individual instances.

By that definition then I'm NOT a regular runner. I run maybe 5 or 6 times a week, usually between 5-20km at a time, but I don't have a set routine - sometimes in the morning, sometimes other times of day. Long runs mixed up according to schedule, weather, how I feel, whether I have to take the dog etc.

I think regular in this context is being used in terms of 'frequent' or 'experienced'. However I think we're getting bogged down in semantics.
    In reply to gingerdave13:
    > (In reply to The New NickB) not to stoke the fire, but i'd say i was a regular runner by the definition . Since i go for a run every Thursday (ok apart from tomorrow, but that's a work commitment)
    >
    > Regular: Arranged in or constituting a constant or definite pattern, esp. with the same space between individual instances.

I guess context is important. If your doctor asked if you were 'regular' would you say yes, if the answer was every Thursday

It wasn't the best term really, because it can be interpreted so differently, but I didn't want to appear elitist, because it really isn't about elitism.
    In reply to Steve John B:
    > [...]
    >
    > You might as well deliberately misinterpret what I wrote! F*ckin ell you can tell you're a council accountant sometime...

I don't think I did misinterpret what you wrote. I am not an accountant, I am inclined to really get the hump at being called one.

> "These events are not put on with club runners in mind". Better?

The thing is club runners are just runners, they might take training a bit more seriously than others, they might race more than some, but they are just runners. I guess the event is mainly aimed at people why don't realize that £40 is a lot of money for a 10k.

gingerdave13 23 May 2012
    In reply to yorkshireman: yeah ok.. was just being pedantic
    XXXX 23 May 2012
    > (In reply to Steve John B)
    > [...]
    >

>
    > The thing is club runners are just runners, they might take training a bit more seriously than others,
    They might. I don't belong to a club because I take my training too seriously to run with other people.

> they might race more than some,
    Maybe. Maybe not. They might attend more races but the ones I go to seem to be more social occasions for most.

> but they are just runners.
    yep

> I guess the event is mainly aimed at people why don't realize that £40 is a lot of money for a 10k.
    Definitely. It's a rip off whoever you are, which I think was the original point of your post. So in summary, I agree. It's a ridiculous amount of money for a 10k and value for money is reflected in the finishing times, as you say.

yorkshireman 23 May 2012
    In reply to Eric the Red:

> Definitely. It's a rip off whoever you are, which I think was the original point of your post. So in summary, I agree. It's a ridiculous amount of money for a 10k and value for money is reflected in the finishing times, as you say.

Maybe everyone took their time to make it last longer and get more value for money! Imagine running sub-40 and spending £1 per minute on the race - its like a premium rate phone line
    mgco3 23 May 2012
    In reply to The New NickB: The question, for me, is not how much would I give to run a 10K but how much would I give to be able to run 10k!!!!!

Answer.. A farkin fortune..
     angry pirate 23 May 2012
    £40 does seem a bit steep. I ran the great Manchester twice not too many years ago and it was twenty quid each time. I didn't begrudge that for the level of organisation and the goody bag.
     chopin-smith 25 May 2012

That's a very high price, and right, it's getting close to big marathon money.

Just for comparison, here in Paris the cost of your run-of-the-mill 10k that are organised by clubs or district sporting associations is between 10 and 12 euros. These are proper events though -- with roads closed off, chip timings etc. Generally maximum 1500 runners. The 10-12 euros sometimes includes a technical shirt.
    The biggest 10K in Paris is about 4000 runners, and it costs about 20 euros, which lots of people complain about and some club runners boycott in protest at the price! The technical t-shirt you get is nice though.

Generally though I don't think I'd enter a 10K with 40,000 people. Way too big. Then again, I'm not that fast (36'-37') but see I would have finished in the top 2-300... that would have have been kind of fun!
     trish1968 25 May 2012
    In reply to The New NickB: Ever since they started doing it it's been far too expensive. They stopped doing the Manchester marathon so they could do this 10k. I was gutted I was going to do the marathon as my first one as it's local for me. I've now stopped running but they have started to do the marathon again which I'm assuming the serious runners do bet it's cheaper as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
    Loading Notifications...