UKC

Drinking water in Lofoten

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robert Durran 23 May 2012
Is it generally ok to drink straight from streams in Lofoten and the neighbouring mainland as one would in Scotland (with obvious common sense about habitation, dead animals etc) or is there endemic giardia or any other nasty things requiring precautions?
 Mr. Lee 23 May 2012
In reply to Robert Durran:

Do as you would do in Scotland. Enjoy.
 HenryC 24 May 2012
In reply to Mr. Lee:

If you are wild camping then 'what he said'
 TobyA 24 May 2012
In reply to Robert Durran: Some giardia in the Nor. mountains, will find you a link later that I read recently.
BruceWee 24 May 2012
In reply to Robert Durran: Yeah, I think the giardia depends on how many lemmings there are that season or something.

Some people do, some people don't.
 heleno 24 May 2012

Some friends of ours did get Giardia in Norway a few years ago.

If I remember rightly there is a water tap at the free camping at Kalle (near the Paradiset climbing area).
 GrahamD 24 May 2012
In reply to heleno:

There is also a tap at the unofficial camping area about 2km from Hemmingsvar
 TobyA 24 May 2012
In reply to heleno:

> If I remember rightly there is a water tap at the free camping at Kalle (near the Paradiset climbing area).

Yep, and toilets. Or at least there was when I was last there. It's a great camp ground, plus bouldering on the beach and the Ape to do just minutes from your tent on those morning when you get up late!
 TobyA 24 May 2012
In reply to Robert Durran: this is the blog post I was remembering http://www.backpackingnorth.com/2012/05/ultralight-makeover-redux-pt-7-carr... see the section on water quality.

And if you haven't, read the "Gear Advice for Norway" thread.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 24 May 2012
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to heleno)
>
> There is also a tap at the unofficial camping area about 2km from Hemmingsvar

That one is plugged straight into the Hennigsvaer supply pipe so should be good quality stuff!

Chris
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 24 May 2012
In reply to TobyA:
>
> Yep, and toilets. Or at least there was when I was last there. It's a great camp ground, plus bouldering on the beach and the Ape to do just minutes from your tent on those morning when you get up late!

Toilet (singular) and super-smelly too!

I noticed last year that they had fenced of the grassy area at Kalle, keeping camper-wagons and caravans out.

Chris
OP Robert Durran 24 May 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> That one is plugged straight into the Hennigsvaer supply pipe so should be good quality stuff!

Yes, I've used that one when I went at Easter. I've heard it now gets crowded and insanitary in summer (not the water, the site).
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to heleno)

>
> Yep, and toilets. Or at least there was when I was last there. It's a great camp ground.

I remember it as a horrid spot with a foul toilet. But then it was raining and crowded the first time I camped there and under two feet of snow the other time.
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Robert Durran) Some giardia in the Nor. mountains, will find you a link later that I read recently.

Thanks. I am mostly thinking of the mainland where taps might be harder to come by and when camping in odd roadside spots or in the hills. I think I'll take a filter and some iodine.

TobyA 25 May 2012
> and under two feet of snow the other time.

Were you winter climbing or ski touring?

OP Robert Durran 25 May 2012
In reply to TobyA:

Winter climbing, though we were a bit late in the season and we only got a couple of routes done before things went too mushy. Brilliant while it lasted though!
 TobyA 25 May 2012
In reply to Robert Durran: Very cool. What did you find? Icefalls? Scottish style mixed? Mountaineering etc?
OP Robert Durran 25 May 2012
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Robert Durran) Very cool. What did you find? Icefalls? Scottish style mixed? Mountaineering etc?

The potential was enormous. Loads of icefalls but anything catching the sun rapidly falling down. Almost alpine scale faces starting at sea level. Classic mountaineering to reach summits. Limitless potential for Scottish style mixed (though we thought the relatively compact granite might limit options for the less bold (ie us!).

We climbed a Scottish/Alpine style ice line at about V on the right side looking up the little fjord which the road crooses on a causeway onnthe way to Henningsvaer - an obvious line, but hidden from the road. I would be surprised if it hadn't been done before, but information is very hard to come by. It was a briiliant day's climbing!

I would love to go back a month earlier, but am unfortunately tied to school holidays.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...