UKC

What Wood To use on home training wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SimonMarcYoung 28 May 2012
hey everyone
i'm going to be building my own training wall this summer and wondering what sort of sheets of timber i should be using anyone know ?
Cheers Simon
 Graham T 28 May 2012
In reply to SimonMarcYoung:

I used osb Sterling board for mine. I will be using 18MM ply when I rebuild the overhang. Osb is great but the t nuts do start to pull through after a while.
 Murd 28 May 2012
Maybe useful
http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=7

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=406830&v=1#x5826896

I used usb, had no problems with nuts pulling through. If you can afford it a good quality 18mm ply.
 neil9216 29 May 2012
I,m a joiner,
as already stated you need to use a good quality 18mm WBP Ply.
Sterling board is completly different in the way it is made and more likely to fail when you tighten the holds,also it tends to weaken when you nail or screw it.
WBP on the other hand will remain strong at the nail or screw holes.
dont go to B&Q Go to your local timber merchant. roughly 26 quid per sheet.
Hope that helps,
I,m not on here that often at the moment but you need any other advice private mail me.
cheers Neil
 JSA 29 May 2012

Go for plywood, it doesn't need to be top quality, but it would be better using a good quality ply. You can also use sheathing (or shuttering)ply which is cheaper but is plenty strong enough but does have a few voids between the veneers.
Hannah Montana 29 May 2012
I've used stirling board covered in artex to give it a few features and it was very cheap and lasted a couple of years but if I did it again I'd go for something a bit stronger (as mentioned above).
 Fraser 29 May 2012
 Oceanrower 29 May 2012
In reply to Fraser: If you're making the frame before getting the ply, OSB or whatever, may I suggest centres of 610mm not 600mm. The standard size for sheet materials is 2440 x 1220.
 Fraser 30 May 2012
In reply to Oceanrower:

Well spotted - good point! (btw, it's the OP making one, mine's already done)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...