UKC

Hows this walk for an 8 YO?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkie14c 29 May 2012
Not like me to ask these things really, I'm either on the rock or having just having strolls with my daughter but looking for something a little more challenging for her. I'm taking her out on Friday <by train> and thinking of jumping off at Edale and walking upto the ridge and on to Mam Tor summit, dropping down the Winnats and as a surprise going down the Speedwell caven. Its been over 20 years since I've walked that way and off the top of my head just can't remember how far it is? Perhaps 4 miles start to finish? shes a fit girl and quite steadfast on her feet so not worried about her on the ridge. Anyone been up that way recently? opinions?
Thanks in advance.
 Mark Bull 29 May 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

A quick measure on the map says just under 4 miles and about 800ft of ascent from Edale to Speedwell Cavern via Hollins Cross and Mam Tor.
OP wilkie14c 29 May 2012
In reply to Mark Bull:
thanks Mark, I think 800ft is plenty for her for now. Tryfan next stop eh!
 Mark Bull 29 May 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

If you keep her interested/distracted she'll be fine: the climb is all very gradual.
 Anoetic 29 May 2012
In reply to blanchie14c: Hi, 4 miles will be fine, my daughter at the same age climbed Snowdon. I found that it was my wife that struggled to keep up with her
OP wilkie14c 29 May 2012
In reply to Mark Bull:
> (In reply to blanchie14c)
>
> If you keep her interested/distracted

that means talk to her about moshi monsters and JLS then
 Skyfall 29 May 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

Did more or less the same circular walk from the village a couple of months ago - v nice. On the way down the winnats pass there are also some little entrances to long tunnels/caves on the LHS as you walk down which you can stick your head into and are quite fun. That might get her even more excited about Speedwell.
 Swig 29 May 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

Sounds good. You could take in the old subsided road instead of Winnats as an option to keep away from roads. My son's really keen on "the broken road" (he's nearly 4 so loads younger).

David Hooper 29 May 2012
In reply to blanchie14c: last time I was up mam for there were occasional artwork plaques of celtic beasties and the like set in the path ( memory not very clear) May be worth contacting Castleton Tourist Office or similar see if there is a worksheet or treasure hunt sheet she could follow to find them.Kids love that sort of thing
 Jenny C 29 May 2012
In reply to blanchie14c: TBH I think Treak Cliff is more fun/interesting than Speedwell - apart from the boat of course.
OP wilkie14c 29 May 2012
In reply to David Hooper: OOO thanks for that!!
OP wilkie14c 29 May 2012
In reply to Jenny C:
Tats the thing, I think she'll be just blown away by the boat!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...