UKC

Jubilee Beacon - Snowdon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 29 May 2012
There's a Jubilee Beacon being lit on 4th June on Snowdon at about 10:30pm. Anyone going?

Think I might if the weather's ok for an overnight bivvy.
OP mypyrex 29 May 2012
ps. Has anyone on UKC bivvyed on Snowdon, where's the best place?
 EeeByGum 29 May 2012
In reply to mypyrex: There isn't a best place since it is all railway and cafe these days. That said, the best place amongst all that lot would be the back of the cafe on the steps. Not very romantic though but out of the wind.
 richprideaux 29 May 2012
In reply to mypyrex:

Dropping off the summit a little towards the Watkin Path pillar on the south ridge is the best bet.

For those who get altitude sickness on Snowdon, there is a beacon on Moel Famau...
 The New NickB 29 May 2012
In reply to mypyrex:

Last time I bivvied on the Snowdon it was a cold and windy night so I set my bed out on the station platform underneath one of the generator outlets. Not exactly the romance of the wild mountain summit, but you don't go up Snowdon for that. It was -5 and snowing that nice, I suspect it will be a bit warmer at the weekend.
 David Hooper 29 May 2012
In reply to mypyrex: to be honest,the old concrete but let was much better for bivvy spots than the new cafe. Just get a couple hundred metres down the railway path and there's plenty of cosy grassy mossy hollows between the rocks.so basically between the summit and the fingerstone. I'm not aware of any water supplies up there but someone may know better.
 Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 29 May 2012
In reply to mypyrex:
> ps. Has anyone on UKC bivvyed on Snowdon, where's the best place?

I have agreat story of the hazards of a bivi on the summit. I soloed Central Trinity at night, one of my year missions to accomplish. Anyway I get to the top and need a piss, so set straight about making yellow snow. Only to hear someone shout at me from below. I look down to discover there was someone bivied out and none to impressed to be getting a golden shower!

OP mypyrex 29 May 2012
Been thinking that if there's going to be a beacon I could bivvy near that and take a few spuds to bake :0)

Anyone else up for it? Who'll bring the beer?
 FrankBooth 29 May 2012
In reply to mypyrex:
I grew up on Anglesey and remember the anti-royalist sentiment in the area during the '77 jubilee. I don't get the impression that resentment runs quite so deep these days but nonetheless I can't imagine the local community rallying around very much? Looking at the North Wales Chronicle's events page, there clearly isn't much going on!
 Rob Exile Ward 29 May 2012
In reply to David Hooper: I walked up Snowdon one winter's night via some Cwm Glas scrambling, wrenched my shoulder on the way but didn't think of it till the next day. I was amazed how much nightglow there was on the summit from the surrounding villages - basically it felt like bivvying in a park.

I was woken up next morning by someone prodding me with their foot, they'd been a a bit of storm overnight and they thought I was dead.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...