UKC

Why run?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gingerdave13 30 May 2012
Since i've was a hobbling mess on sunday night my missus was asking the obvious question, why are you doing this?

Well apart from training, to get better, because it was fun, challenging, enjoyable time with a friend, why not?

so go on.. tell all. Why do you run?
 Clarence 30 May 2012
In reply to gingerdave13:

To assuage my guilt at sitting on my arse in front of a computer for 10 hours a day and to keep me away from Skyrim for at least three hours a week...
OP gingerdave13 30 May 2012
In reply to Clarence: hah! good one..

i find it's a very good 'excuse' (not that i really needed one) to eat LOTS of cake!
 hokkyokusei 30 May 2012

Because I want to stay fit and healthy, which helps my with other activities I enjoy such as hiking, scrambling, sex etc.
 Ava Adore 30 May 2012

Original motivation - to get fit(ter), keep the weight off (I love my food)

Current motivation - Still the original motivation but add on:
- pushing my limits
- seeing progress in speed and distance
- the runner's high - I've had some crappy low times recently and almost invariably a run will improve my mood
 yorkshireman 30 May 2012

Some friends came to visit last weekend and we did a little hike up the end of the valley and we inevitably pointed out some of the trails I run on. Then the discussion turned to the ultras I'm doing this year, then obviously - why?

I'm sure its paraphrasing someone but "if you have to ask the question, you won't apprecicate the answer" is all I could think of.

None of the reasons I run are particularly logical or justifiable at a fundamental level. It costs money (travel to races, kit, food etc), it takes time away from my friends and family etc. However, its enjoyable (I only run outdoors, on mountain trails), keeps me fit, and I enjoy the challenge of occasional races.

To be honest, out of all of those, keeping fit bottom of the list - its a happy side-effect. I enjoy being outdoors, and running keeps me in the shape to do the things I enjoy.

Not particularly insightful I know, but I've found that since I got to running marathons and beyond, I got asked the 'why' question quite a lot. I've still not got an easy answer, but I've given up caring or trying to find one.
 Banned User 77 30 May 2012
In reply to yorkshireman: Likewise.. something like...

'Don't ask me why I run and I won't ask you why you don't'
 Nick Harvey 30 May 2012
"Don't ask why, sometimes you just do things"

Though, having decided to enter what is described as the longest non stop foot race in the UK, I am wondering... Its in two days and I am crapping myself.
In reply to Nick Harvey:
> (In reply to gingerdave13)
> "Don't ask why, sometimes you just do things"

something i don't think my wife has ever understood (bit like climbing sometimes). Although at least she does do her own bit of running.

> Though, having decided to enter what is described as the longest non stop foot race in the UK

pray do tell whatcha doin'?
 Padraig 30 May 2012

Why do I run? Cos it's a drug! If I don't get regular endorphin release I become one grumpy fecker!
 Nick Harvey 30 May 2012
In reply to gingerdave13: Grand Union Canal Race - 145miles in under 45hrs. At least its flat...
sarahjharrison 30 May 2012
many reasons including some already mentioned:
feel-good endorphins
valuing my health
being outside
meditation of sorts

...and I'm sure there's more that I won't remember till next time I go running!
 jazzyjackson 30 May 2012

because it's the most straight forward and honest way to train!

No gear, shoes on and run ( clothing optional )
In reply to jazzyjackson: bloody brilliant isn't it? i keep packing for a weekend away and then wondering what i'm missing as it all looks so dammed SMALL!
 nniff 30 May 2012

Because of the leather-lung-ed whippet with whom I'm doing the OMM in October. He'll whip round our local heath doing 7 minute miles for 50 minutes or so, and then do 50km at 30 kph on the bike in the evening. I struggle at 8.5 and can manage only 25kph (22 if it's hilly), and preferably not on the same day.

That's why.

And I don't do heat well either, so it's fun, fun, fun all the way at the moment!

climb the peak 30 May 2012
In reply to gingerdave13: same reason I go climbing, it's fun
Carpe Diem 30 May 2012

Because I can.
 Mark Torrance 30 May 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem:

Because if I didn't, I couldn't.

Which of course begs the question why I don't just resign myself to not being fit enough to run. It would make life a lot easier.
 Liam M 30 May 2012
In reply to gingerdave13: Because it allows me to do things like tonight's race, where some sick bastard decided to put two ascents of a 60m high 40% gradient within the first mile or so of a 5k. It's stupid, it's painful but it's truly brilliant.
 liz j 30 May 2012
This evening, I ran 7 miles offroad, up and down the Cotwold escarpment, in great company and with fantastic views. I had a few problems keeping up at times, the group I ran with from the club are the better runners, some of who are training for Ironman triathlons, but they all take their turns doing a sweep so I never was going to be left behind. My legs ache now, it's the furthest I've run so far, but I know that I enjoyed it as much as they did. That is what running for me is about, fun
 ThunderCat 30 May 2012
In reply to Clarence:
> (In reply to gingerdave13)
>
> To assuage my guilt at sitting on my arse in front of a computer for 10 hours a day and to keep me away from Skyrim for at least three hours a week...

Skyrim...christ...I'm currently at level 53

AND THIS IS MY THIRD TIME AROUND.....
 digby 31 May 2012

...because at some fundamental animal level it's hunting instinct, or pack running, or territory marking or some such behaviour? Anyway it feels good! (in spite of the pain)
 mattrm 31 May 2012

It feels pretty good, both while I'm running and afterwards. Helps keep my fitness levels up. It's quick and easy exercise, put shoes on, go run for 30 mins, do some stretches afterwards and that's it. I enjoy the fact you don't have to think about much and or you can think about anything that pops into your mind.
Removed User 31 May 2012
In reply to gingerdave13: Because ultra runners can keep it up for hours!
OP gingerdave13 31 May 2012
In reply to Removed User: hah, reminds me of this:

youtube.com/watch?v=vuBw39uCT4Q&
 yorkshireman 31 May 2012
> (In reply to myserable old git) hah, reminds me of this:
>
> youtube.com/watch?v=vuBw39uCT4Q&

Brilliant
ruttingstag 12 Jun 2012
In reply to gingerdave13: There is no need for complicated psychology of man, we run enthralled as chidren play-love it because we can.

We also CHOOSE PAIN and in some form or another are rewarded for it.
 Trangia 12 Jun 2012
> >
> so go on.. tell all. Why do you run?

To catch buses or trains because I've left home too late....
 lee birtwistle 21 Jun 2012
In reply to gingerdave13: Me and a mate have entered the Nokia Coast to Coast in September. Although we are quite fit - we both used to smoke so we needed to get training for the running side of things. Last September could only run for 5 mins - now we can do 7 miles without stopping in 1hour 12 minutes. I might look a mess whilst I'm running but it feels great.
 climb the peak 21 Jun 2012
In reply to gingerdave13: masochism
 Fishmate 21 Jun 2012

For many of the reasons above, however check out 'The Running Man Theory'. We do it because we are biologically and gentically predetermined to do so... if you believe the theory. Makes good sense to me and even more so when I run.
 Wonrek 21 Jun 2012
In reply to gingerdave13: Because I'm addicted to the endorphins man!

More seriously, I ran to lose weight and get fit, I now run because it excites me, challenges me, takes me to amazing places I wouldn't otherwise go, gives me opportunity to meet amazing and inspiring people, makes me glad to be alive, makes me a part of something bigger than just me.....

I could go on and on about my love of running its changed my life and brought deep happiness and contentment with it.

My name is Clears and I am a runoholic, it's been 23hrs since my last run.....

;-D

Cx
 kathrync 22 Jun 2012

I run because when I am running my mind can freewheel like it rarely does at any other time. Often I find the solutions to work problems or personal issues while I am running because I can think outside the box instead of churning over the same old ground.

Also, the endorphins feel great afterwards
OP gingerdave13 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Clears: it's been a little over 2 weeks since my last run.. but then i've had a nasty chesty cough thing for 4 weeks now. Docs on monday to try and get it sorted!
OP gingerdave13 22 Jun 2012
In reply to gingerdave13: p.s loving the replies all!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...