UKC

Scotland - Salmon Fishing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 01 Jun 2012
I've often fancied a day's salmon fishing at a decent venue in Scotland. I'm into trout fly fishing so I'm not totally novice.

Has anyone done any salmon fishing in Scotland with a ghillie? Grateful for any serious recommendations.
OP mypyrex 01 Jun 2012
Bump
Daithi O Murchu 01 Jun 2012
In reply to mypyrex:

where's Fawksey when you need he was a keen fly man

Mike-W-99 01 Jun 2012
In reply to mypyrex:
I was up in Scourie doing a bit of walking and climbing last month and couldn't help but notice that the area has extensive fishing.
Give the Scourie Hotel a phone as they seem to be the hub of activity in the area and definitely do what you want. (Stunning area to be in as well)

OP mypyrex 01 Jun 2012
In reply to Daithi O Murchu:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
>
> where's Fawksey when you need he was a keen fly man

Yes, I remember him saying.

OP mypyrex 01 Jun 2012
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
> I was up in Scourie doing a bit of walking and climbing last month and couldn't help but notice that the area has extensive fishing.
> Give the Scourie Hotel a phone as they seem to be the hub of activity in the area and definitely do what you want. (Stunning area to be in as well)
Thanks, great info.

Sherlock 01 Jun 2012
In reply to mypyrex:
My dad used to up to Conon Bridge a lot.Which is quite a distance from where he stays,so he must have thought it was worth it.He definately used to hire a ghillie. I could probably get more details,names,phone numbers if you're interested?
OP mypyrex 01 Jun 2012
In reply to Sherlock:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
> I could probably get more details,names,phone numbers if you're interested?

Yes please. 8)

Mike-W-99 01 Jun 2012
In reply to mypyrex:
I forgot to say that my dad has fished the findhorn for the last 30 odd years so knows all the locals. Happy to ask him for advice, its likely to be quieter than somewhere like the spey.
 Sherlock 01 Jun 2012
In reply to mypyrex:
A quick call to my dad reveals that he is even more confused than usual!
He remembers the fishing as very good but details are vague(a ghillie called Michael subsequently sacked!)I thought he'd have more info but apparently some one else sorted all the details.
Acommodation is extremely difficult (my dad's version of extremely difficult varies). Sorry, I thought he'd have been more help......
On the other hand Mike's suggestion is an excellent one,much more beautiful than Conon Bridge.Good luck!
 goatee 01 Jun 2012
In reply to mypyrex: I was chatting with the warden of the youth hostel in Kinlochleven and he was a keen salmon fisherman. He had loads of info on the local fishing scene. He was northern Irish. Give him a call and I'm sure he would arrange accommodation as well.
 Sherlock 01 Jun 2012
In reply to Sherlock:
Scourie,I meant not the Findhorn!
Removed User 01 Jun 2012
In reply to mypyrex: There's a great book by Bruce Sanderson that covers almost all Trout, Salmon and Sea Trout venues in Scotland broken down into areas covered by OS Landranger maps. It is still fairly up to date. It's called Rivers and Lochs of Scotland, the ISBN is 1 873674 317. Published by Merlin Press.
 Roddytoo 01 Jun 2012
In reply to mypyrex: Might be worth googling for Bobsport. Bob Brownless, alas passed on, started this guiding business. I fished with Bob a few years back and caught my one and only salmon of 22 pounds, so I can recommend the system.
Tight lines.
 Stuart S 01 Jun 2012
In reply to mypyrex:

This is a friend of mine - http://www.kinnearfishing.co.uk/index.html. Happy to recommend him.
 Billy the fish 01 Jun 2012
In reply to mypyrex: The Junction Pool on the Tweed is canny if you can get on to it. A lot of the better beats will be booked up years in advance and you’ll have to take a week at a less prime time until you work your way up the list.
Have you considered the Tyne? There’s a lot of day ticket water available at reasonable prices and at less of a drive for you.
http://www.fishpal.com/England/Tyne/FindFishing.asp?dom=Tyne
 kingieman 02 Jun 2012
In reply to mypyrex: The tummel's good!
 Kimono 02 Jun 2012
In reply to mypyrex:
have you tried the Yemen?
OP mypyrex 02 Jun 2012
In reply to kieran b:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
> have you tried the Yemen?
Wanted to see that but missed it. Is it on DVD yet do you know?
 Kimono 03 Jun 2012
In reply to mypyrex:
i suspect not quite...but its on piratebay

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...