UKC

What 30-35l running/walking/climbing rucsac?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JayPee630 01 Jun 2012
Alright,

Am in the market for a new rucsac for a bit of everything! I already have a 15l bag for summer day walks and runs, and a 50l for longer trips.

Use will be long day walks in the winter, ski hut to hut trips, overnight trips and runs, and multi-pitch mountain routes (climbing with it nearly empty).

Needs to be around 30-35 litres, pretty light (for sure less than 1kg, ideally around 600g), have side pockets for a Nalgene bottle and side compression straps, and be able to attach skis.

Looked at the OMM Jirascha (sp?), any other suggestions? Especially of new ones due out.

Cheers
 nickcj 01 Jun 2012
In reply to JayPee630:

I was going to suggest the omm jirishanca straight away.

How about osprey talon, lowe alpine attack or bd speed 30?
OP JayPee630 01 Jun 2012
In reply to nickcj:

Yeah, find the Ospreys a bit too fussy, and not sure what the others would be like for running with. It's pretty easy to find a good 30-35 walking sac, it's one that's OK for running with that seems to be tricky.
In reply to JayPee630: I think you are looking for the proverbial rocking horse manure. I don't beleive you will get a bag that does all that you want it to to a good standard as you'll be making too many compromises to make it fit your needs. I suspect funds will be tight but i'd suggest getting a good bag for running and a separate bag for walking/climbing/skiing.
In reply to JayPee630: Agreed with the guy above. The Jirishanca just doesn't seem robust enough - as soon as you add sharp bits like crampons, axes, ski edges, you need a robust sack. Clearly this post will swiftly be followed by people saying their Jiri was fine for their ski tour, and how dare I say that. But it isn't the most robust material for packs out there, and winter stuff needs robust packs.
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:
> (In reply to JayPee630) ... winter stuff needs robust packs.

Which aren't the lightest for running with and tend to have quite rigid frames.

OP JayPee630 02 Jun 2012
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Don't want one with a frame that's more than a stiff mat, and I don't carry much winter or summer, and don't do winter climbing, just walking.

OK, suggestions for 30-35l running/walking sacs?
OP JayPee630 02 Jun 2012
In reply to Martin1978:

Yeah have seen that, looks good, but is it any good for running with?
 nickcj 02 Jun 2012
In reply to JayPee630:

I've had my omm jirishanca for 5 years and used it every day for work as a mountaineering instructor, including Scottish winter seasons. I think its pretty robust enough. Also ran slmm with it and slept on back pad.
 martinph78 02 Jun 2012
In reply to JayPee630: I haven't tried running with it, but it's a "soft" pack and doesn't move around. Not sure what you are looking for in a running pack to be honest?

Have you looked at the camelbak range? I know a lot of mountain bikers and runners use them in endurance races. I have a small one which has been used for moutain biking and snowboarding for over 10 years and it still looks like new (when washed!) TOUGH packs, and as I say, seen plenty of runners with them. Nothing quite as large as you want though, although they do them.

Actually I wish I'd looked at their new range before deciding on the Medusa, there might have been something in there that would have suited me.
 Gav M 02 Jun 2012
In reply to JayPee630:

deuter pace is the bag for you. or at least it is the bag for me.
triangle 06 Jun 2012
Does Medusa 32 have rope carry under lid? Is not having some sort of aluminium support advantage or disadvantage?
 SFM 06 Jun 2012
In reply to JayPee630:

Worth have a look at this http://www.blueice.com/en/products/blue-ice-30l

Not sure if it'd be much cop for running. Think you might have to get a separate sac for that.
That said I use my OMM classic 25l for pretty much everything these days. Despite the lightweight materials they are pretty tough.

Out of interest, how many years/much use do you expect to get from a sac?
OP JayPee630 06 Jun 2012
Thanks, the Blue Ice one is good but no use for running. There's no shortage of good 30l or so sacs for climbing and mountaineering, but I'm keen for a super light one that's good for running/walking with possibility of using of for climbing/mountaineering stuff sometimes.

The OMM ones do look best for this, although I did see a good MIllet (French company) one in Adventure Peaks in Ambleside over the weekend. The Inov8 ones are good too, but I don't use a hydration system and they have a complicated zip thing. Will look at the new Terra Nova ones too.

I'd be disappointed if I didn't get ten years from a sac, although I haven't had a really light one before, so maybe that'd be less...?
 martinph78 06 Jun 2012
In reply to triangle: Yes it does have a rope carry under the lid. As for the aluminium support, for the weight I carry I haven't found it a problem.

I think you need two rucksacks myself. One for running and one for everything else.
 colinakmc 06 Jun 2012
In reply to JayPee630: Personally I wouldn't want to run with a 30L rucksack even for an overnighter (most mountain marathoners I've noticed seem to manage on 24L) but my Osprey Mutant 38 is great for everything else, and very robust. I think they've started to do a smaller one too?
 SFM 06 Jun 2012
In reply to JayPee630:

Not so sure. I have a Lowe Alpine Elite that I bought in about 2000. It was my do everything* sac for years and still only has a few nicks in the fabric to show for it. I use it only occasionally now as lacks the extra functionality of the OMM sacs. The fabric is slightly heavier than that on the OMM's but it's still just thin nylon ripstop. Probably also depends on how hard you are on gear but I would expect at least 5 years from one.

*even a couple of winter routes
triangle 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Martin1978: I have no experience carrying skis on backpack but i am sure i will carry them in near future. Thats is why i am questioning no aluminium support.
 lithos 06 Jun 2012
In reply to JayPee630:

omm classic 32

http://www.theomm.com/products/packs?page=shop.product_details&flypage=...

should fit the bill. I did the GR20 (corsica) with one of these (older model - much older!)
and it was great
OP JayPee630 06 Jun 2012
In reply to lithos:

Thanks, yeah that's on my list. Flimsy material though.
 OwenM 07 Jun 2012
In reply to JayPee630: I use an old PB sack (Pete Bain) 25lts I think. I got it for the Rock & Run in 1990 so I wouldn't worry about the durability of lightweight sacks. When I have to replace it I think I'll go for an OMM classic.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...