UKC

Big blue barrels

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Zac 03 Jun 2012
I am looking for them big 200ltr + blue barrels, for a water collection system. I know we're I can buy them but have heard that you can get them for free from some places, and I'm against spending money when I don't have to, especially when it keeps things out of the landfill.

I know that there either food grade or chem grade, either is fine to me.

Anyone know we're I can get one or 2 in the area? ( Penrith / north ish Cumbria ) Save on driving place to place, I have been advised that bus depots, or large scale cleaning operations may be the place to try as well as catering places, but has anyone got a way of narrowing this down?

Hope someone can help and thanks in advance

Zac
In reply to Zac: not free, but cheap - Ebay.
OP Zac 03 Jun 2012
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

I have seen them, but most of the time when you pay postage they don't work out all that cheep. Could work as a last resort though.

Thanks
 gordo 03 Jun 2012
building sites usually have them brickys and plasterers use them for water and sites fill them with concrete to hold there fence posts up but im not sure where they get them from
In reply to Zac: you could even try your local scrap metal recycling place.
OP Zac 03 Jun 2012
In reply to Zac: Thanks for the advice, has anyone got one? We're did ou get it?
 David Hooper 03 Jun 2012
In reply to Zac: there used to be a factory in Speke,Liverpool where you could get them for free. Everthing from full size expedition barrels through to smaller O ring sealed BDH containers as used by kayaker. Most I m marsh students got their kit from there.

Originally used for glycerine,foodstuffs and some pharmacy. Nothing nasty. Don't know if it's still there but may be worth doing another Merseyside specific post. I've not been since 1990s.
 Ridge 03 Jun 2012
In reply to Zac:
When I worked in the waste industry there was quite a good trade in second hand drums and IBCs, so it's unlikely you'll get them free. You could try asking round the commercial, (not household), recycling places. The Environment Agency can be a pain with this approach, as the drums will be classed as waste and will need to be disposed of as such. A colleague of mine used some rubble that came in as waste to fill some potholes on the dirt roads on site, and ended up being threatened with prosecution for not disposing of it correctly. This means some people in the waste industry will be reluctant to give you them as freebies. Maybe try local chemical/agricultural manufacturers?
 Gav M 03 Jun 2012
In reply to Zac:

I got a local hardware shop to order inbarrels for canoeing, the type tasty you can pay 50 quid for. They were under a tenner. Probably you can get the larger ones cheap too.
 Gav M 03 Jun 2012
In reply to Zac:

That not tasty
 TheTwig 04 Jun 2012
In reply to Zac:.

We get as many as we want from the local hospital. They're the type with 2 small holes on the top and contained cleaning fluid. I cut the tops off, fit tap then cable-tie top back on.
OP Zac 04 Jun 2012
In reply to Ridge:
Seems like some people want more things to go into land fill, I don't see the reason behind not allowing someone to recycle things, things that would normaly just be tossed into huge holes in the ground.

Little bit of madness

OP Zac 04 Jun 2012
In reply to TheTwig:

That sounds like a very good bet to me, thanks for the advice.
 3leggeddog 04 Jun 2012
In reply to Zac:

Try Piggy Watson's at Crosby on Eden, just off the Carlisle Brampton road near the Stag. He usually has them and all sorts of other assorted treasure you never knew you wanted.
 ben b 04 Jun 2012
In reply to Zac: I got a couple from the local curry house a few years back - they had previously been used for mango chutney, I believe. About 100l those, with little handles on the side which were a bonus.

Mind you on reflection that was 1993 so things might have changed a bit....

b
 gethin_allen 04 Jun 2012
In reply to Zac:
"Seems like some people want more things to go into land fill, I don't see the reason behind not allowing someone to recycle things,"

Or perhaps people have identified that these items have a value and no-longer just give them away! Perhaps you'll just have to put your hand in your pocket and pay for something.
OP Zac 04 Jun 2012
In reply to gethin_allen:

A said at the start that I'm against spending money were it is not needed? And I am quite willing to spend if that's what it comes to.

As to the line about things not going to land fill, I was referring to a comment by another user, who mentioned about a friend of theres who used some waste rubble and put it to a good use, only to be reprimanded for the fact. It was in this instance that I was asking about why some people would rather see things go to land fill.

Hope this cleared things up for you.

Zac
OP Zac 04 Jun 2012
In reply to gethin_allen:
And has been mentioned there are places to get these for free, so why would I pay? When all it took was a quick question for some friendly advice?
 joan cooper 05 Jun 2012
In reply to Zac: I just googled ...Big Blue Barrels for free..... and got about 4 results for freeones

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...