UKC

How was your (long) weekend?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 05 Jun 2012
There are a lot of posts about the Jubilee, but I can't see one about the rest of the weekend...

How was yours? What did you get up to and where did you go?
 Blue Straggler 05 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

I immersed myself amongst a load of Shoreditch Twits and managed not to smack any of them in the face. I am proud.
Tim Chappell 05 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Assynt. Day 1 Stac Pollaidh, full ridge; Day 2 Suilven, full ridge; Day 3 Conival and Beinn Mor Assynt; Day 4 chocolate cake and a gentle poodle around Achiltibuie and Polbain on bicycles.

Assynt ROCKS. Don't on any account go there. I want it all for me.
 GerryC 05 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: I went over the Strathfarrar Four on friday, Blaven on Saturday and I was on the Mamores yesterday. God save the Queen
OP Tall Clare 05 Jun 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell:

Lovely. I went a coupole of years ago and really want to go back. To paraphrase Billy Liar, a man could lose himself in Assynt.
KTT 05 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: I was mainly working.
Tim Chappell 05 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Most of the posh part of London appeared to have got there before me. More Chelsea accents than you could wave a deep-fried Mars Bar at.

We were slumming it, though-- we camped on the island opposite Stac Pollaidh. The full or fullish moon came up every night over Loch Lurgain then disappeared about 1145 behind Sgorr Tuath. It never went properly dark, the cuckoos never stopped singing. It hardly rained (though it did snow a little) and it barely midged at all. Astounding. Magical.
 winhill 05 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Ratho, High Street, Ullswater and Talkin Tarn.
In reply to Tall Clare:

Mostly working.

On the plus side I'm in Stavanger and it's gloriously sunny.
 Alyson 05 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: Some walking, some gardening, some glaring at the rain, some watching films, a lot of mountainbiking, a bit of eagerly taking my kayak to the coast then baulking at the 6ft waves, some earl grey, some watching gannets and some rather slow translation of Spanish poetry.
In reply to Tall Clare:

I learned about Arbella Stuart too.
 Dr.S at work 05 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
drink
drink
snowdon, pig, drink
pie, run, barn owl hunting, midge hunted.
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Who is Arbella Stuart?

I bought some shoes that look like bumblebees. I went to Galloway, where the sky is very big indeed. I did my first bits of trail centre mountain biking (all very exciting). I drove a very big car. I did some sewing. I read. All things considered, a rather curious weekend.
 morbh 05 Jun 2012
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
>
> We were slumming it, though-- we camped on the island opposite Stac Pollaidh.

You are so lucky!
>
> It never went properly dark

Because it was properly dark on the path back to Knockan Crag carpark last night at about 0030.
 Pids 05 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

camping for a couple of nights down in Galloway with the bairns, playing in forests and lochs, and painting the village nursery's shed today
Tim Chappell 05 Jun 2012
In reply to morbh:

Cloud cover? We had little or none. And ambient moonlight.
 JLS 05 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Did the Cuillin traverse. One bank holiday than it can not be said, I didn't made the most of it.
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
>
> Who is Arbella Stuart?

The first "posh punk", I reckon! Born into utter privilege but wilfully threw a lot away in the name of rebellious love, to the point of starving herself to death! I admire her conviction.

http://www.elizabethan-era.org.uk/arbella-stuart.htm
In reply to Tall Clare:

Bought an oversized car with a thing in the ceiling for putting sunglasses into.
Took photos of colourful flowers in the sunshine. On black and white film rated at ASA1600.
 DaveHK 05 Jun 2012
In reply to JLS:
>
> Did the Cuillin traverse. One bank holiday than it can not be said, I didn't made the most of it.

Me too. Well, most of it anyway.
Anonymous 05 Jun 2012

> Assynt. Day 1 Stac Pollaidh, full ridge; Day 2 Suilven, full ridge; Day 3 Conival and Beinn Mor Assynt; Day 4 chocolate cake and a gentle poodle around Achiltibuie and Polbain on bicycles.
> Assynt ROCKS. Don't on any account go there. I want it all for me.

Stac Pollaidh's not in Assynt. Neither are Achiltibuie and Polbain.
 morbh 05 Jun 2012
Aye, cloud. Quite possibly self-generating at the failure of my brilliant plan to bivvy on Cul Mor & see the beacons on Ben Hope, Ben Hee & possibly the Western Isles. I heard the non-stop cuckoos though!

Apart from my failed beacon-viewing adventure I ate some wonderful Malaysian curries followed by trifle or jelly & ice-cream at a friends garden party & I fixed up one of my bikes with a rack & panniers for a hebridean summer - isnt it amazing how easy it is to be optimistic at this time of year! I also finally plucked up the courage & bought a new cycle helmet after my crash last year - no excuses then!
 Mike C 05 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
Had to work Sat morn, then up to Aviemore, out on the bike in the afternoon. Walk into Lairig Ghru Sunday, a paddle on Loch Ness yesterday, then another stint on the bike today, feel happy with that.
 JLS 05 Jun 2012
In reply to DaveHK:

Cool! On your bike?

Done it over Sunday/Monday on the memory of hill fitness. Pretty slow but not too many short cuts taken.
 OwenM 05 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: Skye, sea kayaking, walking, skinny dipping.
 Rubbishy 05 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

I killed a dwarf with a boat hook and failed to get bail
In reply to John Rushby:

That's... decisive.
Tim Chappell 05 Jun 2012
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to Tim Chappell)
>
> [...]
>
> Stac Pollaidh's not in Assynt. Neither are Achiltibuie and Polbain.

In that case there's nothing for it. I shall just have to commit hara-kiri as an act of expiation of my wanton inaccuracy, and in humble tribute to all those who are unfortunate enough not to be blessed with user names, such as your surly and pointless self.

Thanks for your input again, though.
 Rubbishy 05 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Should still be out for Thurs - apparently Boo is bringing something involving rhubarb
In reply to John Rushby:

Excellent. Boo? Is that Mrs Hobbit, perchance? Mail me and tell me what I need to bring (apart from Catalogue Man, of course)
 Hammy 05 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: Friday eve climb at Kings Meaburn, Saturday morning climbing related job, afternoon Stoneycroft Ghyll scramble, evening Brown Slabs Shepherds, Sunday Truss Buttress and Kennel Wall at Gouther and climb Armathwaite evening, Monday climb at Shepherds morning and Corvus afternoon, Tuesday climb at Wodens and Stoneycroft Ghyll. Tomorrow Stoneycroft Ghyll and Honister Via Ferrata. A great mix of work and recreation!
 Skyfall 05 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Mostly feeling miserable about still being off climbing injured. So watched tv, films, ate, drank and argued on ukc. And still felt miserable.
 butteredfrog 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Hammy:

Do belive I saw you in Stoneycroft Ghyll this afternoon sir!

#Tips Hat#
 Robert Durran 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Went to Skye (it had the best forecast). On Saturday we climbed on the most obvious choice of sunny south facing crag (sheltered from the chilly northerly wind) in the Cuillins. Had it to ourselves. Climbing really does seem to be going out of fashion - not that I'm complaining! The campsite was quite busy though and plenty of people were enjoying the glorious sunshine on the ridge.
Tim Chappell 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Robert Durran:

What did you climb? Does "most obvious" mean Sron na Ciche?

If you had the weather we had in Coigach/ Assynt, it would have been hard not to have a brilliant time.
Tim Chappell 06 Jun 2012
In reply to JonC:
>
> Mostly feeling miserable about still being off climbing injured. So watched tv, films, ate, drank and argued on ukc. And still felt miserable.

I'm sorry to hear we didn't cheer you up. Read a happy book? Dark Shadows Falling? Death in Venice? The Gulag Archipelago?

Sarah G 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
Broke up with da man.

Played on my "train set". Drove a 42 ton 0-6-0 Steam engine. Buffered up perfectly.....bliss. Even got a pic to prove it on the web...but as my face looks like a slapped arse (it's my "concentrating" face), I won't tell you where it is!

Then I was train guard the next day.

Lovely weekend.
Sx
Tim Chappell 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Sarah G:

Are you perchance in the Feminists' Locomotive Club?

They believe in a woman's right to choo-choos.

Boom, boom! Tish!

<ducks shower of rotten fruit>
 Reach>Talent 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
I had a lovely long weekend; 10 days in the South of France.

DWS in the Verdon Gorge, sport climbing climbing at En Vau, the Dentelles, La Turbie and one of the outlying Verdon crags. A spot of swimming in rivers and a beach or 2 plus some sightseeing and a pointless drive into Italy just because I'd never been there before. Coming back to 10c at Gatwick was a shock after 34c in Monaco!
 teflonpete 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
Went to the Lakes with the new lass. Had a lovely weekend walking the fells on the West side of Borrowdale, along the Derwent and erm, getting to know each other. :0)
OP Tall Clare 06 Jun 2012
In reply to teflonpete:

<like>
Sarah G 06 Jun 2012

You made me smile.

thank you

(Having a bad day, so a smile goes a long way!)

Sx
 Toby S 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Bought a new tent on Saturday and then watched Moon in the evening. Spent Sunday mooching about town and then sat in the sun while wife and sprog watched the flotilla nonsense on TV.

Drove over to Skye on Monday and spend the day at Sabhal Mor Ostaig while R and her friend took part in a kids TV gameshow. Sat in the sun (again) taking in the glorious views over the Sound of Sleat and didn't speak a word of English all day which made me feel terribly cultured and intellectual, even if my Gaelic is a bit mince these days!

Yesterday was D's birthday so we spent the day in town while she spend my money! Only back at work for a day before heading down to Download tomorrow
In reply to Tall Clare:

Ordered my new car -- delivery August / Sept.

There's a good Octavia diesel estate going cheap shortly! 9yo, 1 owner, fsh, 93k miles.
 Boulderdash86 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
Fri - drove to Parents, then had BBQ and drinks round friends
Sat - attempted to Climb Dewerstone Dartmoor (lost my Dewerstone virginity)
Sat Eve - BBQ on Dartmoor in the Rain and Wind, Camp out over night
Sun - back home see family and friends, stayed round gfs
Mon - See friends, had a Hockings, went for a walk, shopping, round a friends for Drinks then to see Torrington's Beacon nad more drinks
Tue - Gym, see family and friends, drive back ready for work Wed
Wed - Tired at Work
Tim Chappell 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Sarah G:

<bows>
J1234 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: Fantastic weekend. 3 days and nights in Tuscany, Leaning tower ( went to the top) and Pisa, then 2 nights in the most wonderful Agroturismo with fantastic meals, very Romantic. Wife very happy with me now ) Visited Sienna and San Gimiginano, so loads of old paintings and buildings.
 Timmd 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Went camping with some new people, and didn't put my foot in it or fall out with any of them, went to a pride event, bumped into an old friend, and hopefully made some new ones or have started to.

A good weekend.
In reply to Tall Clare: I took advantage of a weather window and dashed up to Eryri on Saturday. Got up at 2am on Sunday morning to shoot dawn from Crib Goch and then went to Gogarth to take some shots of my other half on Lighthouse Arete...came home utterly buggered!
In reply to Tall Clare: I took a radiator off, the better to decorate. Some tedious while later, the damage caused by my actions was repaired. The decorating, however, has still not progressed.

Today I have mostly been arranging my unexpected nuptials.

T.
OP Tall Clare 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Pursued by a bear:
>
>
> Today I have mostly been arranging my unexpected nuptials.
>
> T.

Congratulations! UKC shall buy an 'at.
 quiffhanger 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Swanage: 3 days of great conditions. Got loads done on some epic lines. With the exception of the quarries, virtually deserted too: brilliant.

-ross
In reply to Tall Clare: Ta muchly, though having lived together for over 25 years it isn't going to be a do that has more formality than it needs. The lunch is fish, chips and peas followed by ice cream. What more do you need?

T.
 Yanis Nayu 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Pursued by a bear: Salt and vinegar.
 Wainers44 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: Lakes, with 4 adults and 11 mad youngsters who just wanted to walk, run, climb, gill scramble everwhere, all the time from 0600 to 2230 (then the music started).

I thought I was still sort of fit....clearly not. We tried to wear them out with a fell race (after they had done a full days walking)....they just ate more.

Going back to work tomorrow for a rest!
 PontiusPirate 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

In reply to Tall Clare:

Friday evening: Tea and games night round my mate Chris's house;
Saturday: 'wedding of the year' of two old friends in Halifax - it all got a bit random with a Mexican theme in the evening, but a great day - evening got some half-decent shots of people, which mad a pleasant change, I'm usually rubbish trying to take pictures of people.
Sunday: terminal wash-out, sorted and edited pictures... popped out for some bread and milk, and then it was tea-time; it didn't feel exactly productive.
Monday: decent day's climbing up at Pule Hill with a couple of mates who haven't been out on rock much recently - ended up being fed and watered and then tramped up a random Pennine hill to fail to see many of the Jubilee beacons!
Tuesday: more garden taming, and a short walk to check out a photo location - the day was much better than originally forecast, so I wish I'd organised something better!

PP.
 kathrync 07 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Fri: Early plane to Luton. Fought way through London to Twickenham. Attended wedding ceremony in afternoon and was treated to a lovely meal in the evening

Sat: Wandered along the Thames path towards Richmond. Admired the barges moored in readiness for the pageant. Watched the Thames rise and fall drastically as they fiddled with the barrier. Saw Charley Boorman. Attended wedding reception in the evening and got very merry.

Sun: Prior plan of a pleasant wander along the south bank and catching an exhibition I wanted to see at the Tate Modern totally scuppered by pageant! Fought way into central London. Ate large hangover breakfast. Went to National History Museum and visited the animals inside out (Gunther Von Haagen) exhibition. Ate sushi. Fought way out of London and back to Luton and flew back to Edinburgh

Mon: Had a lovely long lie in and tried to remember anything at all about statistics in preparation for a job interview.
 MHutch 07 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Four days out on the bike in a row. Three good, one very indifferent (Dalby Forest). Bit wasted now, so switching to my patented recovery plan of coffee and doughnuts in town...
 owlart 07 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: No climbing or serious walking for me. I, very apprehensively (didn't want them to feel I was pushing in), went to stay with friends and meet their 5 day old son! he's gorgeous, and I even got to cuddle him! *goes all goey*

Went to Chartwell with them followed by their village street party, then Knowle Park & Gardens and another big picnic on the Tuesday, and a trip up to London (without them) yesterday.
 fimm 07 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Cycled from Edinburgh to Durham over three days. Was good.
 JimboWizbo 07 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: I moved house and cleaned the old house. Then caught a cold.

Epic
 rallymania 07 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

team night out on friday night till midnight
saturday went into embrae to watch / listen to the guns going off, then went out for a boogie in the evening
sunday went to glentress for a bit of MTBing
was working monday and tuesday so it was relaly jsut a normal weekend for me

@Clare... which trail did you do?
OP Tall Clare 07 Jun 2012
In reply to rallymania:

We joined up the two blue bits at Kirriemuir on Saturday then did the blue at Glentrool on Sunday. My boyfriend was very patient with Mrs Amateur here - I only shrieked a bit. (I've only ridden a bike a handful of times in the last decade so felt quite pleased with myself)
 oscaig 07 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
Fought our way down the M4/M5/A30 on Sat along with (or so it seemed) the rest of the country. Spent next few days (either dodging the rain or being baked) exploring some of the fantastic crags on the Lizard. Didn't see another climber all long weekend. Caught a Bass in a Cornish cove on a non-climbing afternoon and BBQ'd it in foil, fresh from the sea - yumm! Escaped yesterday before the forecast gales. Add in a few beers in the Top House Inn and the Blue Anchor and it wasn't a bad few days - didn't see a scrap of the festivities on the idiot-box.
 jacobfinn 07 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: Spent a top weekend in Lochcarron. Climbed at the lovely Raven's Crag on Sunday and then did the Cioch Nose in Applecross on Monday, a fab **** route!
In reply to Tall Clare:

Great. First trip to the Hay Festival. Camped in superb new Portuguese tent that Freda saw raves about on the internet (our old one was v much past its sell-by date). Very wet on two days, but one fine, enabling us to have a good walk over Hay Bluff and Lord Hereward's Knob (it's called that, honest.) Hay on Wye on great place in idyllic setting. I don't think I've ever come across such a high density of nice/intelligent people in one place before.
Tim Chappell 07 Jun 2012
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Such as my daughter, for example
 JohnnyW 07 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
Friday drove up to the Aultguish from Livi, tussling with the traffic on the Tomintoul road due to the poor guys on the A9

Met mates
Walked into Lochivroan
Found it empty, and with loads of firewood
Had campfire
Drank two day's booze ration :oS
Got up to a glorious day Sat
Did the Fisherfield Four (as opposed to Six)
Got back at 9pm, knackered
Had another fire, finished wine that escaped the previous night
Slept the sleep of the Gods
Walked out Sunday
Cycled Monday
Went up Ben A'an with wife Tuesday, then to theatre in evening

Top weekend.

.....and in a minute, when I finish work, I'm off up to Skye for another long weekend. Happy fella..............
 Timmd 07 Jun 2012
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
>
> Great. First trip to the Hay Festival. Camped in superb new Portuguese tent that Freda saw raves about on the internet (our old one was v much past its sell-by date). Very wet on two days, but one fine, enabling us to have a good walk over Hay Bluff and Lord Hereward's Knob (it's called that, honest.)

Thankyou! A friend was talking about walking up that hill a while ago, and i'd forgotten I wanted to ask her the name due to forgetting it. I knew it was Lord somebody's but I couldn't remember whose.

In reply to Timmd:

BTW, they lit a beacon on LHK on Monday, at c.11.30 pm, for the Jubilee. V lucky with the weather because the rain was back again in the morning.
 Robert Durran 09 Jun 2012
> (In reply to Robert Durran)
>
> What did you climb? Does "most obvious" mean Sron na Ciche?

No, the Ghrunnda face of Sgurr Alasdair (and the new guide book is spot on with 4 stars for Commando Crack - one of the best Severes I have ever done, especially avoiding the tight squeezes at about 5a/b (I hate tight squeezes!)). Sron na Ciche faces NW and only gets the sun from mid afternoon. On the Sunday we could only see two teams there enjoying the evening sunshine at about 6pm - yes, climbing really is out of fashion!
 ThunderCat 10 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Longest ever bike ride.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=508929

The only downside was that when I got to the b&b each night and gingerly lowered my sore bottom down in front of a tv, all that was on was stuff about the bloody jubilee.
 tlm 11 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Had a great time in Scotland, with no rain - towerridge, spartan slab and craig dubh - we had to come home in the end cos we were so tired and my knees hurt! It's big up there...
 gingerdave13 11 Jun 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: climbed in font, for a week.. it didn't rain (that much) stayed in a gite, drank wine, ate cheese, did some running, played some frizbee, slack-lined a bit, read.

all in all, bloody brilliant!

fonty friction rules ko!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...