UKC

My GUCR

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nick Harvey 05 Jun 2012
Hi everyone,

I got some really good advice from you guys in the run up to my Grand Union Canal Race attempt, so thought some of you might be interested in how I got on.

Suffice to say I didn't quite finish, but I don't think I have ever been quite so close to wearing my body out. I lasted 39 hours and covered 127.5 miles. So I dropped out a mere 17.5 miles from the end - such a short amount in distance, but also at the speed I had been reduced to, another six or seven hours! It rained pretty much the whole time, wearing out my feet and making me very cold - I am pretty sure I would have finished otherwise. I can't honestly say it was all that much fun, but hey, I gave it a good go.

I've written a bit more on it here: http://nickonice.blogspot.co.uk/

Once again, thanks for the help and happy running.

Nick
Finally, a climber again.
 Voltemands 05 Jun 2012
In reply to Nick Harvey: Better luck next time buddy. Absolutely fantastic effort!
 mattrm 05 Jun 2012
In reply to Nick Harvey:

Good effort chap. Sorry to hear that you didn't make it round. I have to say I feel similar to you after my ultra. Rather meh. Enjoyed the blog entry.
OP Nick Harvey 05 Jun 2012
In reply to Voltemands: There is no next time!
OP Nick Harvey 05 Jun 2012
In reply to Nick Harvey: ...probably
 quirky 05 Jun 2012
In reply to Nick Harvey: good effort fella!
 Banned User 77 05 Jun 2012
In reply to Nick Harvey: well done.. I did similar for my first real race, got 80+ miles into the WHW, 15 to go but was battered.. I went back and managed it, I had hours to spare as well but at the time I'd sat in a car and seized and just wanted sleep..
 nniff 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Nick Harvey:

Good effort. A friend of mine tried it. He's a committed ultra runner - "I only get into my stride after mile 28" - and the soles of both his feet fell off and he had to retire. He put it down to the surface being the same the whole way. He said the hardest thing was walking from the information board at the station to the platform - he didn't think he was going to make it!
 StefanB 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Nick Harvey:

Good effort. I always was a big challenge for a first ultra and getting that far is a real achievement. I don't quite believe you when say, there won't be a next time. Others have said this before
 yorkshireman 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Nick Harvey:

Good effort, you still ran 127 miles which is amazing in anyone's book.

Shame you don't feel like trying again - I got swept up by the broom wagon at the three-quarter point of my first proper ultra last year, and was properly trashed but I'm very keen to give it another go again this year. I think you'll be surprised and start to harbour feelings of going back - the pain and discomfort soon fades and you'll find you probably learned so much that you could apply to the next attempt.

Make sure you give yourself a good couple of weeks to recover - you don't need telling right now but your body is exhausted right down to a fundamental level.
OP Nick Harvey 06 Jun 2012
In reply to yorkshireman: I like that; 'fundamentally exhausted'!

Never say never. But never...
 George Ormerod 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Nick Harvey:

Great effort Nick and I really enjoyed reading your blog.
 mattrm 09 Jun 2012
In reply to Nick Harvey:
> (In reply to yorkshireman) I like that; 'fundamentally exhausted'!
>
> Never say never. But never...

I like that. Especially the fundamentally exhausted bit.

Feeling any better now?

OP Nick Harvey 10 Jun 2012
In reply to mattrm: okay, I admit, the failure does not sit well and is brewing somewhat... Oh and the skin is starting to fall off my feet, but painlessly thankfully.
 mrchewy 10 Jun 2012
In reply to Nick Harvey: Only just seen this Nick - gutted for you but wildly impressed all at the same time! I'd thought your Ultra was after mine for some reason. 17hrs for 70 miles was a decent pace, I'll be nowhere near that for The Wall. Read the blog and there's some tips for me in there.

Gotta say, you had a great bunch of mates with you - must have made a huge difference. My dad's coming along, I'll be glad to see his face from time to time.

Top effort.

Kelvin
OP Nick Harvey 11 Jun 2012
In reply to mrchewy: Thanks - yes a support crew (and a bloody brilliant one, at that) made a huge difference. And i definitely recommend my 'normal food' method, for at least as long as you can stomach it.

Best of luck, and let us know how it goes.

And pray for good weather!
 mrchewy 11 Jun 2012
In reply to Nick Harvey: Not too good tho haha
 gingerdave13 12 Jun 2012
In reply to Nick Harvey: nice write up, sounds erm, 'fun'...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...