UKC

Surviving Progress

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 06 Jun 2012
Was everyone else watching the Jubilee celebrations the other night of did anyone else watch this film?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jrlsf/Surviving_Progress/

It takes a rather dispassionate view of the nature of the progress that mankind has made and then goes on to argue that the direction we are moving in is both wrong and unsustainable. I found it absolutely fascinating and agree with much of what was said, how couldn't one? The trouble comes when one considers realistic ways of engineering change.

Perhaps we're all doomed...
Daithi O Murchu 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Removed User:
> Was everyone else watching the Jubilee celebrations the other night of did anyone else watch this film?

>
> Perhaps we're all doomed...

maybe not when a view of the problems can be articulated like that.

All thats is needed is for enough people to resist.

that Doc was great - thanks
In reply to Daithi O Murchu:

and wow what about that IBAMA agent hey
Removed User 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Daithi O Murchu:
> (In reply to Eric9Points)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> maybe not when a view of the problems can be articulated like that.
>

Yes, I'd hope that we can save ourselves at the last minute but I think some of our descendants may be in for a white knuckle ride over the next couple of centuries.
> (In reply to Removed UserDaithi O Murchu)
> [...]
>
> Yes, I'd hope that we can save ourselves at the last minute but I think some of our descendants may be in for a white knuckle ride over the next couple of centuries.

only if they understand the exponential function

otherwise its just gonna jump right up and bite em.
Clauso 07 Jun 2012

I enjoyed watching it on iPlayer... But, on reflection, and given their stance on progress traps, maybe TV and internet wasn't the way to go? Maybe they ought to have transmitted their arguments to us via smoke signals from the burning Amazon? Or carrier pigeons? Or the gift of mime... Or summat.
Removed User 07 Jun 2012
In reply to Clauso:
> (In reply to Eric9Points)
>
> I enjoyed watching it on iPlayer... But, on reflection, and given their stance on progress traps, maybe TV and internet wasn't the way to go? Maybe they ought to have transmitted their arguments to us via smoke signals from the burning Amazon? Or carrier pigeons? Or the gift of mime... Or summat.

Good point but I suspect that they probably did an environmental audit and decided that electronic media was the way to go after donating some royalties to a carbon offsetting scheme..or something.

Tim_C7 07 Jun 2012

I thought it was a good documentary. In general, this lump of rock finds ways to auto correct when its inhabitants go overboard... So if we don't calm down population growth, stop consuming too much etc, then planet earth and society will auto correct with no effort on our part at all

... Admittedly we may not enjoy the methods, i.e. Mass starvation, world war III, violent weather events, widespread desertification... Little bit of a gloomy view.

*SIGH* if only I ruled the world.
OP Anonymous 08 Jun 2012

> It takes a rather dispassionate view of the nature of the progress that mankind has made and then goes on to argue that the direction we are moving in is both wrong and unsustainable. I found it absolutely fascinating and agree with much of what was said, how couldn't one? The trouble comes when one considers realistic ways of engineering change.

Thought it was a really good film, one of the best I've seen. I think it's great that these style of documentaries are starting to make there way onto the mainstream media.

> Perhaps we're all doomed...

Undoubtedly, but it's not all bad. I for one am looking forward to eating some bankers and Tories.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...