UKC

Where to park for Blencathra?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NobbyClark 08 Jun 2012
I'm planning on hitting Blencathra with a stop over at Scales Tarn at some point but I'm not sure where to leave my car overnight. Any suggestions?
 dan bulman 08 Jun 2012
maybe mungrisedale by the telephone box?
NEClimber 08 Jun 2012
In reply to dan bulman: I concur. The walk-in up the Glenderamackin is a great way to scales tarn and sharp edge. There was an honesty box to pay for parking last time I was there (£1 I think).
OP NobbyClark 08 Jun 2012
In reply to NobbyClark:

Lovely chaps, thanks very much. Hadn't even thought of walking in from Mungrisdale but it looks lovely.
 Mountain Llama 08 Jun 2012
In reply to NobbyClark: lay-bys either side of A66 @ Scales is a usual place 2 park.

HTH Dave
OP NobbyClark 08 Jun 2012
In reply to Mountain Llama:

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply. I'd looked at parking up around Scales but it looks like a fairly short yomp (about 2 miles?) to Scales Tarn from there (looking around NY343269). I'd planned on walking up to the Tarn, pitching up and then heading up Sharp Edge the following morning before heading back to my car.
 johnnyslowfeet 08 Jun 2012
In reply to NobbyClark:
If I had the time which you seem to have I'd go for mungrisedale phone box to park but instead of following the path shown on the map head up the road a little to ravens crag. From here a path follows the ridge up to bowscale fell. It gives a great view of blencathra and also across the valley north to carrock fell. The going is steep to start with but well worth it.
From the top if bowscale there is another unmarked path that takes you straight to the marked path just north of sharp edge. This one isn't so clear in cloud go a little navigation my be needed but on a clear day sharp edge is visible all the way.
When you meet the marked path drop down under sharp edge to scales tarn for the night.
Great walk with even greater views
Johnny
NEClimber 08 Jun 2012
In reply to johnnyslowfeet: I have always found Bowscale better taken after Sharp Edge as an obvious circuit with the 'Raven Crags' track an easy return from the top. I like to head down to Bowscale Tarn and Mosedale sometimes though, bit of a road walk but scenic and you often bump into the ponies.
 Mark Bull 08 Jun 2012
In reply to NEClimber:

The E ridge of Bannerdale Crags is another worthwhile alternative, with some optional scrambling.
 Mountain Llama 09 Jun 2012
In reply to NobbyClark: Ok, u cud park at threkeld or blencathra centre and go 2 summit via halls fell and traverse down to tarn, day 2 u can traverse mtn to know crags. Link to map http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch&source=mog&hl=en-GB&gl=...

Davey
 bluebealach 09 Jun 2012
In reply to NobbyClark: The cost of parking at Mungrisedale village hall is £2 (cheap by Lakes standards) but consider doing Souther Fell first before Blencathra via Sharp Edge. Then you can reverse back to drop down over Atkinson Pike, Mungrisdale Common, Bannerdale Crags and Bowscale Fell before dropping back to the road via Raven Crags.

Thereby getting several Wainwrights if your interested.

Great wee round and there's a pub in Mungrisdale which does decent ale and I understand the food allegedly not bad either
 Ron Kenyon 09 Jun 2012
In reply to bluebealach:

This is the reverse of the Blencathra Fell race on wednesday - I would not fancy the flog up Souther Fell (knee crunching coming down) - but once on the top it is a great view - and you might see the phantom army - and it is another Wainwright. Glenderamackin is a great valley and leads up to path to Scales with either direct to summit of Blencathra or Sharp Edge.

Back over Bannerdale and down its North East Ridge is a great way back - or over Bowscale and down its east/north east ridge.

If you fancy a quick blast up Blencathra then could park on A6 at layby 1/2 mile or so east of Scales and go up from there - better chance of getting a parking space.
 Mark Bull 09 Jun 2012
In reply to Ron Kenyon:

> I would not fancy the flog up Souther Fell (knee crunching coming down)

An easier line to the fell race route (either up or down) is the diagonal path on the SE flank.

bluebealach 09 Jun 2012
In reply to Ron Kenyon:

> I would not fancy the flog up Souther Fell

I always thought that whilst steep'ish, its short and has you up very quickly.
>
> If you fancy a quick blast up Blencathra then could park on A6 at layby 1/2 mile or so east of Scales and go up from there - better chance of getting a parking space.

I sort of agree, but your then with the masses and that's not me - difficult finding any solitude on Lakeland Fells......that's why Scotland is so appealing generally.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...