UKC

Capel Curig Campsite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi Folks

Has anyone stayed at the campsite on the left as you come into Capel from Betwys recently. I'm heading up there late Friday night and was wondering how wet the ground is???

In the flatlands of East Anglia it hasn't stopped raining, so hoping for better news from N Wales.
 Simon4 12 Jun 2012
In reply to Chick-on-a-Rope: You could do me a favour, and test this out :

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=509197

Please let me know of any defects, particularly if you drown.
In reply to Simon4
Well you are not much help. Hopefully someone else will be more responsive to a simple information request.
 balmybaldwin 12 Jun 2012
In reply to Chick-on-a-Rope:

SOrry, not been there recently, but given the recent weather and the forecast, it's bound to be a bit soggy. (in fact it nearly always is)

I have in the past been there when the river in the campsite has burst its banks, so if you are going to use it I suggest camping away from the river - unfortunately that means nearer the road.
 MLC 12 Jun 2012

Stayed there a few years ago when there was a week of heavy rain- thought the river was going to go any second- thankfully it didn't and we remained dry.

It was also windy and the tent beside ours blew away!
 d_b 12 Jun 2012

I haven't stayed there lately, but it always turns into a swamp after rain. The top of the site near the road is slightly better than the bottom but still gets soggy.

Showers tend to be good and it's cheap though.
 pog100 12 Jun 2012
give them a call? He is one of the most friendly camp site owners in Wales, no comments on whether that is saying much.....
http://www.dolgam-snowdonia.co.uk/camping.html
 David Hooper 12 Jun 2012
In reply to Chick-on-a-Rope: there has been a lot of rain with the Lligwy in spate.
Plenty of alternative sites in the area.

The farm behind the Bryn Tyrch Pub,camping higher on the hill will be dry and close to amenities.

There is a hillside terraced campsite outside Betws near Swallow Falls.

On the backroad from Betws to Trefriw there is a nice caravan park with an idyllic area set aside for camping,cannot remember name....Cwm something.

A bit further out on the road between Betws and Dolwydyllyn is a real treasure TanAldroch (sic) beautiful wooded quiet site with the Lledr River running through it - never gets loud or yobby and you are allowed to make open fires,only down side itt can get midgy.

Good luck and enjoy your stay,it's a beautiful area.

Also I'm pretty sure we have a Capel Curig website with links to all the accommodation,sorry I. Cannot give you a link.

Apologies for Simon4 he has a bit of a history of sneering superior posts and isn't typical of the folk you can find on UKC
 johnnorman 12 Jun 2012

Past there today and the grass is freshly cut and looked fine to me
In reply to Chick-on-a-Rope: Many thanks folks for your replies, most helpful.
 Jenny C 13 Jun 2012
In reply to Chick-on-a-Rope: Camped there over the Bank Holiday (so before the heavy rain) and given it's reputation was surprised at how dry it was.
 Welsh Kate 13 Jun 2012
Camped there early May bank holiday, a couple of days after very heavy rain. There were a few squelchy areas, but the farmer was very nice using his tractor to drag out the VW Campervan that had unwisely spent the night in an obviously wet area. Otherwise the site was fine. As others have said, it's dryer towards the road, but we camped by the wall that runs up from the shower block towards the road and it was fine.
pasbury 13 Jun 2012
In reply to David Hooper:

There's also one on the road to Pen-y-Gwyrd about a mile past Plas Y Brenin. It's called Garth Farm, it's in a nice spot overlooking Llynnau Mymbyr and though fairly basic it does have a new clean bogs & showers block.
I never knew it existed until recently.
 Bimble 18 Jun 2012
In reply to pasbury:

I always camp on Garth, it's a decent campsite, and nice & cheap too at £4 a night. Basic, yes, but I don't need much. Got my dog from there too The only thing to be careful of there is the wind; they've recorded it up to 80mph on the farm (MET weather station is on there), so sheltered pitches are recommended! (2hrs sleep a couple of Tuesday nights ago due to idiot-pitching...)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...