UKC

SLMM - location released

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gingerdave13 12 Jun 2012
not that i'm excited, but all the talk of the lamm made me check.. it's been released and it's wasdale!

wohoo, i was only there a fornight ago! Make me think the idea to change from welsh 3000's to bg leg 3, plus a bit, was a good 'un.

sooooo anyone else excited?
 Theho 12 Jun 2012
Hi
does anybody know how to find out about entries available for teams that have dropped out? The OMM has a forum for this but I can't find one for the Saunders. I've emailed them but they have not replied....i guess it's a slightly busy time of year for them! Craving for a place!
 butlinpm 03 Jul 2012
In reply to Theho:

SLMM place available - see my post in FS/Wanted forum.
OP gingerdave13 04 Jul 2012
In reply to gingerdave13: bah - what a time to have a chest infection!

been off work since last wed, just back in today. Here's hoping the drugs DO work and i'll be fit for the weekend.
 Simon Caldwell 04 Jul 2012
In reply to gingerdave13:
Bad luck. I've got a stinking cold, but should be recovered enough by the weekend - just hope my partner doesn't catch it.

Though there are hints of some seriously heavy rain due on Friday - enough to block the road to Wasdale Head if it falls over there. Currently looking more likely to be further east, could make for an interesting drive over...
OP gingerdave13 05 Jul 2012
In reply to Toreador: hmm, interesting to know, it's gonna be a late one for me, so hopefully i'l be able to park up and find my partners tent!
 Simon Caldwell 05 Jul 2012
There's a met office amber alert for tomorrow, with up to 5 inches of rain possible!
XXXX 05 Jul 2012
In reply to Toreador:

Woohoo. That will keep the midges at bay.

Won't it?

OP gingerdave13 05 Jul 2012
In reply to Toreador: riiiiiight

interesting

wellies packed then?!
 Dave B 05 Jul 2012

Hope everyone enjoys themselves...
In reply to Dave B:

Most forecast models now have tomorrow's deluge staying further south, from North Wales to South Yorkshire. But GFS still has the heaviest rain across Northern England...
XXXX 05 Jul 2012
In reply to Toreador:

Boo. I've always kicked myself for not being at the Borrowdale OMM. I was hoping I might get my own story to tell!

In reply to Eric the Red:
> Boo. I've always kicked myself for not being at the Borrowdale OMM. I was hoping I might get my own story to tell!

Don't despair yet...
http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/92177-mountain-weath...
heathermeek 05 Jul 2012

Have fun everyone and stay safe....certainly warm and a wee bit wet here at the moment!
OP gingerdave13 06 Jul 2012
In reply to gingerdave13: grrr, am stuck at work till 5:30... why oh why!?

just. want. to. get. moving!
 Doghouse 06 Jul 2012

Anyone know hwat conditions are like in Wasdale?
 Carolyn 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Doghouse:

Don't know about Wasdale specifically, but Buttermere valley is very wet underfoot/in streams, but not toooooo much actually falling out of the sky - frequent heavyish showers rather than continuous really heavy downpour.
XXXX 09 Jul 2012

So how did everyone do? Excellent weather after all.

I had two objectives. The primary one was to finish without twisting my ankle 3 weeks before the Lakeland 100 and the second was to finish the Bowfell in the top 10. I failed on both counts.

Some dodgy route choices on day 1 left us in 13th overnight and then a fast, strong performance on day 2 had us in the top 10 easily. Until I twisted my ankle on the run down to the final checkpoint and we had to limp home.

Anyone got any tips for making an ankle get better in 18 days?

Simon Caldwell 09 Jul 2012
In reply to Eric the Red:
Our worst ever result, but I enjoyed it anyway
Don't think I'd got over the stinking cold I had a week ago, couldn't manage to run much at all, especially on Saturday.
Thought we'd done better on Sunday, but actually dropped a place, presumably everyone else also improved!
Finished 28th on Bowfell (normally manage top half, best result was 12th). If we don't improve, we'll just have to move up to Scafell

Quite a few route choices left us on our own. The climbers traverse round Gable on Saturday (would have been a good choice if we hadn't managed to miss the start of it and lose 50m); 3 to 4 on Sunday we went up to the Haycock ridge, slightly longer but no more ascent and much easier going; and for the last control we went for the scree run down Black Comb (the only one that was definitely a good choice, we gained 10 minutes on the teams just ahead of us here).

My usual technique with ankle injuries is to rest them and hope for the best, then set off anyway. In theory (assuming it's a minor twist) it shouldn't be too much of a problem on the Lakeland 100 as it's mostly trails. Karen Nash managed this year's Fellsman with a seriously sprained ankle by strapping it up well.
XXXX 09 Jul 2012
In reply to Toreador:

We did the climbers traverse on sat and i think it was the best route tbh! We messed up by going down the valley from burnmoor and straight up to the stream bend instead of contouring up. V poor decision as we ended up bogged down in forestry works and then heather! Then we went across the fields at the end. Sunday we did 3 to 4 as a straight line and it was quite easy going. Did the same as you down black comb and twisted my ankle on the grassy slopes just above the checkpoint!

Strapped is the plan! I had it done up for sat but didn't bother Sunday. argh!
heathermeek 09 Jul 2012
In reply to gingerdave13: Can I just add....my mum and dad thought up the SLMM....34 years ago, my mum was pregnant with me and my dads aim was to have a summer KIMM with relaxed rules.....think its def got that. We still have some of the original paperwork somewhere......he also started the langdale round a bit before that.....given all that I have only done one SLMM.....maybe my new goal should be the solo class each year......with beer and milk available you can't go wrong!! if they still have that!
 Simon Caldwell 10 Jul 2012
If anyone's accidentally acquired an extra carrier bag full of dirty running kit it may be mine - last seen in the camping field or parking area
OP gingerdave13 10 Jul 2012
In reply to Eric the Red: caveats galore.. i WAS recovering from a chest infection (just finished antibiotics on the friday) apologies if anyone heard me coughing up a 3rd lung either morning and it was my first MM.

Having said that was placed 63rd on sat but then had a complete energy fail on the sunday and came in 99th (ok technically that's last). But overall was 87th. Carrock fell class

It was all me being slow on the ups and not being able to run much on sunday. I'm pretty sure i've managed to bruise both ankles, which is a new one for me. Oh and doing BG leg 3 was no use... considering it seemed every time we saw a path, it was to cross over it and keep going on tussocks, heather, bog and river crossings. If I see one more fern covered hill side it will be too soon.

HOWEVER... it was better than our mates who pulled out missing 7-9 on sunday due to running out of time for the cut-off (we gained 1hr40 on them sat, and 40 mins on them at least on sunday before they stopped). So at least in comparison i'm kindof happy.
OP gingerdave13 10 Jul 2012
In reply to Toreador: p.s i didn't see this, and was quite, erm, 'late' leaving the field.. but it was a BIG field.

Simon Caldwell 10 Jul 2012
Thanks. The organisers didn't find it when they did their post-event sweep, so I'm hoping someone picked it up thinking it was theirs and will contact the organisers when they unpack.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...