UKC

Can you recommend a decent insole for stiff walking boots?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I have a pair of Asolo Flame GTX boots, excellent boots and I am very pleased with them, however for longer walks over 2 hours there is an issue on the ball of the foot, there doesn’t seem to be enough padding in this area and becomes fairly painful on both feet - the current insole is basically a very thin piece of foam that provides minimal cushioning if any.

Has anyone else had this problem?
 Steve Perry 12 Jun 2012
In reply to Laurie Rogerson: Try some superfeet, custom made ones if your prepared to pay a lot solving your issue.
hannahh 12 Jun 2012
In reply to Steve Perry:

This is a very common misconception, get an GP referral to an orthotist, and state an orthotist not a podiatrist, and they can make you a pair of customs if you need them, or give you another kind if they're applicable, all on the NHS. Don't go spending loads of money when this is what you pay your taxes for, and depending on where you go, you may get ripped of with something unsuitable and unhelpful
 Steve Perry 12 Jun 2012
In reply to hannahh: Good call
 GrahamD 13 Jun 2012
In reply to Laurie Rogerson:

I find superfeet (the green ones) make all ther difference for me. I have two sets that revolve around pretty much all my outdoor footwear.
hannahh 13 Jun 2012
In reply to GrahamD: Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they don't work. But they can cost quite a bit and they tend to 'treat' the most common milder problem in the most standard shape of foot. I your problem happens to be for another reason or you have a slim foot, wide foot, long arched foot, short arched foot, high arched foot, or any shape of foot away from 'standard', then they won't be performing to their optimum and may even do you harm. They can be great if you only have a small issue and a very standard foot shape
 Steve Perry 13 Jun 2012
In reply to GrahamD: I do exactly the same with my 2 pair even in my work boots.
 GrahamD 14 Jun 2012
In reply to hannahh:

I agree for the most part, but I can't see how replacing standard boot insoles made from kraft cheese slices with standard superfeet insoles is ever likely to be worse.
 ROFFER 14 Jun 2012

Pedant alert!

Please correct me if I am wrong but when I worked in an outdoor equipment retailers (some years ago now) I was told that what you are describing are known as "footbeds" and that "insoles" are actually a component part of the boot itself.

(I will now go away and continue to correct people when they say "less" when they really mean "fewer".)
In reply to hannahh: getting a referral can take months especially if your GP thinks you don't need referring. Superfeet cost about £40 and they come with a 60 day moneyback guarantee. they are almost certainly worth a punt to see if it works.
 GrahamD 14 Jun 2012
In reply to ROFFER:

Good pedantry.
 Jenny C 14 Jun 2012
In reply to higherclimbingwales: Out of interest I notice on the small print they warn that they cannot accept liability for damage caused to the Goretex liner of boots - anyone had a problem them causing damage or is it just Superfeet covering their backs?
In reply to Jenny C: the only ones that will more than likely do this is the black or blue ones. the green ones are no worse than the insoles that come with the boots.
 Sharp 14 Jun 2012
In reply to Laurie Rogerson: Sounds like the masses have come out to recomend superfeet for someone who just wants a bit of extra padding!
Superfeet are actually quite hard compared to some, if you don't need support then you might be more comfortable with sorbothane double strike or just a plain old gel insole.

If you do want support and cushioning I'd recomend SOLE footbeds, they come in two thicknesses. The black ones are thicker and will give you more padding provided they don't reduce the volume of your boot too much. Unlike the superfeet they mould to your feet, either by warming them in the oven and then wearing them, or just by wearing them in.Having tried both I find the sole ones comfier and more supportive.

A few people have recomended getting prescription orthotics, make sure you get someone decent to make them. The best ones are 3/4 length only and they wont give you the cusioning you need. I've seen dozens of people wearing ones from podiatrists which are totally useless in terms of support and of poor construction. It doesn't sound like you're looking for an orthotic anyway but if you do make sure you get a good physio and don't get fobbed off with a thin bit of foam with a wee wedge built into it.

Ben
In reply to Sharp:
> (In reply to Laurie Rogerson) Sounds like the masses have come out to recomend superfeet for someone who just wants a bit of extra padding!
> Superfeet are actually quite hard compared to some, if you don't need support then you might be more comfortable with sorbothane double strike or just a plain old gel insole.
>

Thanks for the replies, ordered some sorbothane double strikes hopefully will be enough.

Laurie
 CurlyStevo 19 Jun 2012
I found those too volumous for all the boots I tried them in
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> (In reply to Laurie Rogerson)
> I found those too volumous for all the boots I tried them in

Yeah they take up quite a bit of room - although still ok in these boots.

However they have not solved the initial problem of pain on the ball of the foot, I'm now thinking could be to do with the high arch of my feet!?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...