UKC

mountain bike tyre reccomendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 colina 13 Jun 2012
looking to buy a mb tyre used mainly for cross country evening runs across mountain paths,tracks and some occasional trail riding (llandegla)
was looking at something light with good grip 2.2 or 2.4..not to worried on price at the moment just want the best tyre for the job
dont really know one tyre from the next so any reccomendations would be appreciated and i can then look at ebay for a bargain or buy online.thanks
 Frank4short 13 Jun 2012
In reply to colina: Continental Rubber Queen 2.2 black chilli. They're quite expensive though they're as good as any tyres i've ever used. Thing in is you have to get the black chilli compound ones as the OEM ones aren't anywhere near as good. I think they put a mix of unicorn horn and virgins tears in them to get the magic performance out of it.
In reply to Frank4short: If the chilli flavour Rubber queens are too expensive for you, the regular ones are pretty good and will probably last longer. I got my (wire beaded) one for about £24.
 Green Porridge 13 Jun 2012
In reply to colina:

I'm pretty pleased with my Schwalbe Smart Sams on my hardtail. They're certainly no big downhill tyre, but they do a good job, even in reasonably wet and muddy conditions. If you want something more knobbly but slower rolling, then you could look at the nobby nicks too.

Tim
rmt 13 Jun 2012
In reply to colina: I thoroughly recommend the Schwalbe Nobby Nic Snakeskin tyre, in a 2.1. Not cheap, but excellent. In the winter I run them, and then in the summer I change to Schwalbe Racing Ralphs, but they really are only a dry weather tyre.
 Frank4short 13 Jun 2012
In reply to higherclimbingwales: that's the thing about the black chilli RQs they have all of the amazing qualities of a soft rubber tyre but they role and wear like much harder tyres.
 Jungle_153 14 Jun 2012
In reply to colina:

I use the tubeless version of the Panaracer Fire XC Pro's, never had any grip problems and they seem to wear well.

Gareth
 David Hooper 14 Jun 2012
In reply to colina: I've not used them but the newish Maxxis Ardents seem to get lots of awards and top reviews in the mags. I think they are a kind of lighter faster rolling High Rollers.
In reply to David Hooper:
Hi I use Bontegra XR2 tyres, they are not the cheapest but are great all round and have quite a lot of life in them. About £35 a tyre coming at about 2.25 in width.
Tread pattern works well as there is low rolling resistance but loads of cornering grip.
bullandbladder 14 Jun 2012
In reply to colina: Maxxis crossmark.
Removed User 14 Jun 2012
In reply to colina:

Nobby nic is a good read tyre, I run specialiazed fear control on the front. Quite agressive motor X style tyre.
thom8822 14 Jun 2012
In reply to colina: maxxis ardents or maxxis highrollers. highrollers are more grippy but wear quicker. highrollers also have a supertacky version for extra grip. i run a highroller upfront and an ardent at the back. both around 30 quid aswell
 Tricky Dicky 14 Jun 2012
In reply to colina: Mountain bike tyres are funny things, what works well in one location is poor in another. I'd ask some of the local riders, or ask at your local bike shop what they'drecomend for the local trails.
In reply to colina: most tyres are very similar - mud for mud conditions, dry for dry, wet for wet and trail centre tyres for...............

choose the colour you like for the conditions you ride in and pay the least you can. the limiting factor is the rider (given that you have got the condition correct).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...