UKC

Font in August. Too hot?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Cthulhu 14 Jun 2012
As per the title - how hot does it get? Pleasantly warm or unpleasant and intolerable? We are not hardcore blodderers, and a typical day would involve lazy breakfast, a few pleasant circuits, some sunbathing/reading/chilling, and probably a splash in the river near the campsite. That said, bouldering would be the main focus of the holiday, so if it'd be too hot then we'd reconsider...

Thoughts?
 pog100 14 Jun 2012
In reply to Cthulhu:

It is northern France not the tropics or even the Med. Just like southern Britain you can hit a heatwave but in the holidays we have had in the area, including two in Font in August, it has been warm and pleasant. Of course if you like the close to freezing friction, and no sweat, August is not the time, but rain permitting you can certainly enjoy Font in August.
 chrisprescott 14 Jun 2012
In reply to Cthulhu: I've climbed there in August a few times and it was fine. Does get pretty damn hot and sweaty, but not completely unbearable and a good excuse to sit under the nearest shady boulder with cheap french lager!
Cthulhu 14 Jun 2012
In reply to pog100:

Yes I'm fully aware of where Font is, and that it's not the tropics, but too hot to enjoy climbing is not the same as, for example, too hot to enjoy sunbathing.
 Bruce Hooker 14 Jun 2012
In reply to Cthulhu:

It can get very hot in August - normally, but this year has been different until now, still putting the heating on in June! Even when hot you can get a bit of climbing done really early in the morning, ie. really early, from 6am but by 10 the heat starts. Late evening can be pleasant too. Rain cools things down but you can't climb on wet boulders so it's not much help.

So it could be ok for a while but I don't know about an entire holiday, it might be worth having a plan B in case you got fed up.
 BoulderBus 19 Jun 2012
In reply to Cthulhu:

I (against the advice of others) have been on plenty of trips in August, June and July, The only weather that has ever stopped me climbing is rain....my advice is to take some sun cream and hand wipes and liquid chalk, and enjoy the sun.
 gingerdave13 19 Jun 2012
In reply to Cthulhu: i just got back from an early june trip - and was in troos pretty much all week. Rain stopped play once, but within a hour it was game-on as the sun was back out and a spot of wind too.

I'd say aug could be a tad too warm, but a lazy lunch and picking a shady area wouldn't have to mean no climbing.

Oh but at the rate this summers going i don't think it'll be a major issue!
 Trangia 19 Jun 2012
In reply to Cthulhu:

I've been in August when it was in the mid 30s and unbearably hot made worse by the reflection of the sun off the sand. Early morning was the only time we could climb, evenings continued hot. It was lovely swimming in the Lys though!
clk021988 02 Jul 2012
In reply to Cthulhu:

We're also going in August, 10-15th :] Our first time, we'll see what happens..
 robal 24 Jul 2012
In reply to Cthulhu: I've been to font many times between may through to august, I've only had a problem once with the heat, that was in may and I swear it was down to fatigue and a freaking awful hang over as the following day was hotter and I was much much better due to no beer and an early night!

I'm off there again in august with no concerns over the heat! jsut climb in the shade and take tonnes of water and have regular breaks!

I have climbed in much worse heat and conditions and never really found it to be something that has stopped me climbing, it just lowered the grade. As you say font is hardly the tropics!
 thermal_t 24 Jul 2012
In reply to Cthulhu: I went in late June and it was roasting hot with a few thunderstorms thrown into the mix. Climbing into the evening was the best bet, although many areas have dense enough tree cover to be permanently in the shade. The main issue I had though was getting bitten to death by insects at the campsite in the evening. I would certainly go in the Summer again.
 RobertHepburn 24 Jul 2012
I've been to Font in August, and there are plenty of more shady areas if it gets really hot. The walking is really good as well - have a look for the dencourt footpaths if you haven't before.

My top tip would be 2 liters of ice cold water in thermos flasks in addition to what you think you need. There are very few shops or houses near the crags, and normal water bottles soon heat up to the temperature of a good cup of tea (!).

Have a great trip,

Robert
 staceyjg 24 Jul 2012
In reply to Cthulhu:

We went early may last year (during the royal wedding) and the weather was amazing. Best way to comabt heat is to put your water bottles in the freezer the night before, then take them out in a cooler bag during the day, sure enough, by the end of the day you still have ice cold water/squash.

We are heading out the week before Aug bank holiday and hoping for a rain free week! Very much looking forward to it. Let us know on here how it goes for those of you earlier in Aug.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...