UKC

gorge walking in the peaks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ashaw 18 Jun 2012
Hi looking for somewhere to take groups gorgewalking around the peak district can anyone help am cool with snowdonia and the lakes just dont know anywhere in the peaks
cheers
allan
 Bulls Crack 18 Jun 2012
In reply to ashaw:

There aren't any gorges in the Peaks I'm afraid. The odd pass or two and a lot dales.
 Gordonbp 18 Jun 2012
In reply to ashaw:

You could walk down Cheedale and miss out the stepping stones...
 David Hooper 18 Jun 2012
In reply to ashaw: wilderness gully and wildboarclough are proper long gorge scrambles.
 lowersharpnose 18 Jun 2012
In reply to ashaw:

Edale -> Grindsbrook -> Kinder
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Padley Gorge is an outrageous misnomer. It's quite pretty, but it's somewhat lacking any of the necessary features to make it a gorge...
mysterion 19 Jun 2012
In reply to ashaw:

Lud's Church near the Roaches is a gorge of sorts.
 Mal Grey 19 Jun 2012
In reply to ashaw:

Fairbrook can be quite fun.

Seen a few kids groups using it, fully kitted out in caving style overalls, helmets and buoyancy aids. We used to just scramble up as close to the water as possible. A few slightly tricky small waterfalls, but everything is easily escapable.

Its not what I'd call a true gorge though! But you can make it more fun by sticking strictly within the "banks" of the stream or something.

ashaw 20 Jun 2012
In reply to David Hooper: cheers dave I am used to taking my students to afon ddu and gieronedd and wanted something similar close to buxton
cheers
 David Hooper 20 Jun 2012
In reply to ashaw: wilderness gully is in chew Valley,there are a couple of piccies in my gallery if you want a look.
 Al Evans 20 Jun 2012
In reply to ashaw: The Kinder River eventually becomes a gorge, but you have to escape it to the left if you don't want to do The DownfallIt's a bit of an exposed srambly escape too.
 VeryDifficult 20 Jun 2012
In reply to ashaw:

Cicerone have a new 'Scrambles in the Dark Peak' guide out that might be of some use:

http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/674/title/scrambles-in-th...
 GrahamD 20 Jun 2012
In reply to Al Evans:

Come on Al, wake up ! the "Peaks" carrot could have been dangled especially for you and you haven't even nibbled.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...