UKC

Beinn Eighe incredibly dry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Nisbet 21 Jun 2012
I was climbing in Coire Mhic Fhearchair yesterday. It's the first time since 1988 that I've seen every wet streak dry (and I go there a lot). I know the forecast isn't good but it's barely rained there for 3 months.
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

yes- we were up in the ullapool region 2 weekends ago hillwalking. the circuit of cona'mheall and am faochagach has two river crossings which are supposed to be potentially very tricky, but both were easy boulder hopping with no need for wet feet. the boggy sections were easy walking, with cracked earth instead of mud on the bare sections

didn't stop the midges being appalling around (and inside!) the bunkhouse we stayed at though...!

gregor
 Steve Perry 21 Jun 2012
In reply to Andy Nisbet: The burn running out of the lochan must be but a trickle?
 isi_o 21 Jun 2012
In reply to Andy Nisbet:
The Western Isles are also incredibly dry - I saw a statistic the other day saying that Lewis had had only 4% of its average June rainfall, which doesn't surprise me at all. Recurring wildfires up there because the peat is so dry it's almost impossible to actually put them out...
OP Andy Nisbet 21 Jun 2012
In reply to Steve Perry:
> (In reply to Andy Nisbet) The burn running out of the lochan must be but a trickle?

Probably, but we walked in over the top and went down to the climbs.

In reply to Andy Nisbet: Is over the top the best way to get into the corrie do you reckon Andy? I've heard mixed reports
 Joak 21 Jun 2012
In reply to isi_o: Whisky production on Mull is on hold due to lack of water. Over the last couple of months I've enjoyed forays into the Rough Bounds, Lochaber, Skye and Sutherland in weather that can only be described as "Perfect!!!!"
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:
> (In reply to Andy Nisbet) Is over the top the best way to get into the corrie do you reckon Andy? I've heard mixed reports

Only if you're climbing on the steep high walls (Far East, Eastern Ramparts, Fuselage, Far West), and West-Central if you're abbing in. Particularly if you want to climb without a rucksack. For the main buttress routes, the long way round via the loch is better.

ericinbristol 21 Jun 2012
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Incredibly dry? Sounds great. Routes with seepage in Cheddar have been almost permanently wet this year....
In reply to Andy Nisbet: Nice one, thanks Andy
 Colin Moody 21 Jun 2012
In reply to Joak:
> Whisky production on Mull is on hold due to lack of water.

Mull is dry, but supplying Salen with water from Tobermory when Salen previously had it's own supply does not seem wise. Tobermory often struggles to meet demand.
 Simon4 21 Jun 2012
In reply to Andy Nisbet: Andy, we "darn sarf" will be very happy to supply you with some of our copious amounts of rain.

Would 3 days of your sunshine be a fair exchange for a day of our monsoon?
 Fiend 21 Jun 2012
In reply to Simon4:

You had it all last summer when Scotland had it's May-October monsoon!!
 Simon4 21 Jun 2012
In reply to Fiend: I recall being in the Sierra Nevada (California version), when a gawky American kid asked me "does it rain in England in the Summer?", the bone dry desert hills coated with tinder box brushwood streching away as far as the eye could see.

I considered for a moment, then responded : "Only 3 times. They are called June, July and August".
 Andy Moles 21 Jun 2012
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Bad chat, I'm working for the next fortnight.
 Sean Kelly 21 Jun 2012
In reply to Andy Nisbet: Seems like 3 months of rain here in the SW! Even yesterday when the weather-girl was saying what a nice day it was going to be with wall to wall sunshine, it still rained down here! Had to cancel going to Dewerstone and another trip to the wall. The water butts in my garden are overflowing. Grrr!
In reply to Sean Kelly:

It's raining here today but looks much lighter in the NW. Beinn Eighe will probably stay quite dry, even if not exceptional.
 Robert Durran 21 Jun 2012
In reply to Andy Nisbet:
> (In reply to Sean Kelly)
>
> It's raining here today but looks much lighter in the NW. Beinn Eighe will probably stay quite dry, even if not exceptional.

I've spent most of the last three weeks in the NW (frustatingly on school trips, so no climbing!). I've never seen it so dry underfoot. What a brilliant spring and summer so far - but will it continue?

In reply to Andy Nisbet:
Lovely hot sunny day in Coire Mhic Fhearchair on Thursday - crystal clear visibility. Still dry today but a little drizzle ths evening. The north-west has had an unbelievable late Spring and early summer. The weather station in my garden at Gairloch has recorded barely half an inch of rain since mid-May.
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:
Sorry! should have said Wednesday!
OP Andy Nisbet 22 Jun 2012
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

The weather is still coming from the south so I stay hopeful that it won't rain much (despite the forecast).
 Simon4 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

> The weather is still coming from the south

It is being propelled by surging waves of hatred from all southern climbers for smug Northeners!

Wait till normal service resumes, and Scotland is washed away by an endless series of Atlantic depressions - who'll be gloating then?
 Robert Durran 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Simon4:

> Wait till normal service resumes, and Scotland is washed away by an endless series of Atlantic depressions - who'll be gloating then?

I will be - if, having enjoyed all the fantastic weather in Scotland so far this year, it, for once, rains all July and August when I am abroad.

Simon4 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Robert Durran: We will force enormous rain clouds to follow you wherever you go.

If any persons of the Scottish persuasion dare to come south of the border, angry mobs will form and er, drown them in the nearest high street and then steal their canoes.
 SonyaD 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Simon4: It's only the NW of Scotland that has had this fine weather however. Here in the East it has rained, rained and rained some more with the odd fine day between.
In reply to Simon4:
> If any persons of the Scottish persuasion dare to come south of the border......

Why on earth would we want to do that?

In reply to Sonya Mc:
> (In reply to Simon4) It's only the NW of Scotland that has had this fine weather however. Here in the East it has rained, rained and rained some more with the odd fine day between.

But fortunately most of the best climbing is in the north west!

Simon4 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Sonya Mc:
> Here in the East it has rained, rained and rained some more with the odd fine day between.

Well can you do the decent thing and go and give them a kicking there?

We would, but the admirality charts for Cumbria, Lancashire and Yorkshire are out of date, and always seem to underestimate the water depths, and in any case we haven't got enough boats. Sailing through Birmingham involves some quite treacherous waters as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...