UKC

Ennerdale skyline circuit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 22 Jun 2012
Is the parking free anywhere near to Bowness Knott carpark???
In reply to An Triubhas: I don't recall having to pay at all at Bowness Knott - but don't quote me, I may just be going dotty.
J1234 22 Jun 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:
The Carpark is free.
OP AdCo82 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Cheers your route recommendation looks great. So is it safe leaving the car there overnight????
In reply to An Triubhas: Reasonably - I've not had a problem there though I'm sure it's been known. Leave no valuables on show of course. It's a great route, enjoy!
OP AdCo82 22 Jun 2012

Cheers again for the recommendation.....I take it the forestry lot do not mind cars left overnight??
In reply to An Triubhas: They don't seem to. There's plenty of space, and lots of folk would park there for a night in one of the YHAs up-valley anyway
 Dauphin 22 Jun 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

There is frequently 10 plus vehicles left there overnight - never had a problem. Too far from anywhere for west cumbrian low lifes to blag them.

D
OP AdCo82 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Dauphin: Excellent....thanks for all the info!!!
 Ridge 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Dauphin:
> (In reply to An Triubhas)
>
> There is frequently 10 plus vehicles left there overnight - never had a problem. Too far from anywhere for west cumbrian low lifes to blag them.

Although I'd agree it's fairly safe, you're not far from Friz or Cleator Moor.
 Ridge 22 Jun 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:
That's a cracking route, but it's not much further to include Haycock as well and drop off down ridge between Deep Gill and Silvercove Beck.
OP AdCo82 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Ridge: thanks, I will take a peek!
 Ridge 22 Jun 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:
The path off the ridge isn't obvious at first, as it's a broad grassy flank, but you soon spot a path, (head for a rock outcrop), that drops down to Ennerdale. Go over a stile over the wire fence by a tree, then further down take the bridge on the left, follow the path and it drops you in the woods a couple of hundred yards from the track to the concrete bridge.
OP AdCo82 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Ridge:

cheers, I will get the map out later. Did you do it as a two dayer???
 Ridge 22 Jun 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:
Only done the route in bits, never strung it together. 2 days would be better, as Ennerdales a longer valley than you think. It's a 17 mile round trip on the mtb from the car park at bleach green to black sail yha.
OP AdCo82 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Ridge: recommend any good wild camp spots over that way? I am not overly familiar with that side of the lakes hence why I want to go over that way!
J1234 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Ridge: Bleach Green, where is that?
OP AdCo82 22 Jun 2012
Where the blue car is on this map....same as Bowness Knotts isn't it???

http://www.stridingedge.net/walks/2005/05.%20may/09.05.05%20-%20route%20map...
 Dauphin 22 Jun 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

Done it as a 1 day effort after camping high near the start and it was a long if not especially hard day. 2 days would be better - but then you need to carry more food ? kit. Always wanted to stop at Black Sail - next time I think we will use this as the overnight. Saves 1kg plus for tent and stove / fuel - although would involve a bit more walking. Always nice to meet someone for a natter though after a long day int hills.

D
 Ridge 22 Jun 2012
In reply to sjc:
West end of the lake.
OP AdCo82 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Dauphin:

Blacksail is an option, never stayed there either!!!
J1234 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Ridge:
Cheers was looking at OS on Bing and not zoomed in enough, it just showed as Broadmoor.
 gingerdave13 22 Jun 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: looks good - you could drop down off kirkfell via highnose head to camp in wasdale, then next day go up via the black sail pass. I'd probably want to add in Haycock.. but that's just me!
 gingerdave13 22 Jun 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: now THAT looks like a nice route...
 Ridge 22 Jun 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:
> Where the blue car is on this map....same as Bowness Knotts isn't it???
>
> http://www.stridingedge.net/walks/2005/05.%20may/09.05.05%20-%20route%20map...

Yep, where the blue car is. It's not the same as Bowness knott, which is the other parking place further round the lake. It's just visible on the link as a blue P.
 gingerdave13 22 Jun 2012
In reply to sjc: oh and bleach green is

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?x=308557&y=515425&z=120&sv=...

far west end of the lake - it's not the same as bowness knot

(this is actually an area i HAVE been to in the lakes..)

oh and if the skyline isn't long enough... once you get back to car at bowness knot - i can reccommend doing great bourne and starling dodd, then looping back down through the tree gap via the YHA and lake side path to run back along to the car park.
 sheep 22 Jun 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

The route that Dan gives is a truncated version of the Ennerdale Round, which should really start at Great Bourne and finish at Crag Fell., or t'other way round of course. This makes it 26 miles.
OP AdCo82 22 Jun 2012
In reply to sheep:

do you have any links for the full route???
 gingerdave13 22 Jun 2012
In reply to sheep: are you saying like this

http://www.lakedistrictwalks.com/maps/ennhoros.html

but with the caw fell, ennerdale fell + crag fell included?
 sheep 22 Jun 2012
In reply to gingerdave13:

Yep, including Caw Fell and Crag Fell
 gingerdave13 22 Jun 2012
In reply to sheep: yup, that'd be toasty!
 sheep 22 Jun 2012
In reply to gingerdave13:

To be honest, i was surprised when Dan first published his version.

The Ennerdale Round is a long-standing Lakes challenge walk.
In reply to sheep: It's just a nice walk sheep, nothing more. Happens to correspond to (the best) parts of the longstanding challenge route, but so what? If I'd done a route covering just Gable - Steeple (ie. half the challenge round) would that have been surprising too? Or any less legitimate?

We could easily do a second route card for the 'official' full round and bill it as a challenge walk, I'd be very happy to. But I can't see how that might trump the one we've already published. Plenty of room for all.
 sheep 22 Jun 2012

yes, i thought that that might be your intention. My comments weren't meant to be in any way derogatory.
In reply to sheep: Sorry, that sounded snappy on second reading. I'm not a fan of smileys but guess they have their place
 sheep 22 Jun 2012

Peace-out fella. No probs
OP AdCo82 22 Jun 2012
In reply to sheep: calm down ladies, haha!

Is there a best way to do the Ennerdale Round or does it not really matter????
 sheep 22 Jun 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

I would say that clockwise from Gt Bourne is traditional, but whatever takes your fancy, it's the same height gain/loss either way <smiley>
OP AdCo82 22 Jun 2012
In reply to sheep: cheers buddy, I can't wait to get it done. Not been to that bit of the lake district since I was about 15 with parents and the photos look amazing!!!
 sg 22 Jun 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

camp on the summit of pillar - perfectly flat and fantastic views all round. I've never done ennerdale circuit, in fact never even been in ennerdale but stopped up there once in my bivi tent, unplanned, having decided it would be far preferable to dropping down to the fleshpots of wasdale on a wander over from langdale. seeing the lights of the isle of man and ships out in the irish sea in middle of night, fab.
 sheep 22 Jun 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:
> (In reply to Ridge) recommend any good wild camp spots over that way?

Sorry,nearly forgot. as sg says, the top of pillar is a fab spot.

I would also say that there is an exceptionally decent camp spot at Beck Head, complete with boulder and low stone wall, and a spring just on the Gable side of the Wasdale path.

If you prefer the northern arm, somewhere around Blackbeck Tarn would be favourite.
OP AdCo82 22 Jun 2012
In reply to sheep: cheers.....I'm spoilt for choice. One thing that is certain, I'm glad I'm not going this weekend!!!
 Carolyn 23 Jun 2012
In reply to sheep:

Yes, Blackbeck Tarn was going to be my other suggestion for an obvious camping spot.
 Wainers44 23 Jun 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: There are 2 good wild camp spots near Blacksail pass. The first is a grass ledge roughly 80M back alongside the traverse path towards Beck Head (the tent is out of sight of the path). A Gill comes down off Kirk Fell nearby so there is water. The other (which is better if its blowing) is to drop down towards the valley bottom but hide in behind one of the very convenient morraines. Again water not too far away. Used both a few times, lovely quiet spots!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...