UKC

Easy MTB trails N. Wales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 williemiller 23 Jun 2012
I'm off to N. Wales next week with my better half and would like to do some biking as well as climbing. I was wondering where would be suitable for a novice, I'm really looking for something with easy sections of single track but nothing too rocky for her first time. I've ridden Penmachno and the Marin trails and am defos looking for something a step down from that. All suggestions gratefully received. Cheers, Willie
 Banned User 77 23 Jun 2012
In reply to williemiller: There's loads of other trails in Gwydyr Forest, or Beddgelert forest?
 the power 23 Jun 2012
In reply to williemiller: try this place its mint http://www.coedllandegla.com/Home
In reply to williemiller: Beddgelert forest is very good for a tame ride out.
 David Hooper 23 Jun 2012
In reply to williemiller: i have thenorth Wales bikefax guide book and cd. If you like I could print out a selection of routes and mail them to you.
Bimbler 23 Jun 2012
In reply to williemiller:

Some really good easier stuff built at coed y brenin recently. Llandegla are money grabbing .... in my opinion!

Loads of really good things to discover in the gwydr forest that can be combined with easier sections of marin depending on how well you know it, or the bikefax book has some great natural routes in it too.

In short there is loads of biking in North Wales at whatever standard you are looking for! Enjoy and explore
 David Hooper 23 Jun 2012
In reply to Bimbler: just out of interest,why do you think Llandegla is money grabbing. You only pay for parking and the amount of new trail development over the last couple of years has been phenomenal.

Nice staff,cracking cafe and superb trails,what's not to like.
Bimbler 23 Jun 2012
In reply to David Hooper:

A few reasons really- I just find that when they reach capacity in the car parks instead of closing the gate or turning people away they just open the forest gates and get people to park on the verges etc leading to overcrowding of the trails so they can claim more cash. Also having paid to enter races they then still charge for parking. The cafe is expensive and the shop extortionate.

Obviously its each to there own but for these reasons (particularly overcrowding and over-rated trails) I avoid the place like the plague now.

I found it great when it first opened but it now seams to attract a lot of arrogant show off's with people just being rude and leaving litter all over the trails.

Anyway rant over!!
 David Hooper 24 Jun 2012
In reply to Bimbler: actually I agree it can be pretty hellish when all the weekend warriors turn up. Our gang is pretty lucky in that we can go mid week. Then you will find a crowd of friendly regulars and you get to know the faces on the trails and in the cafe.

PS I think the cafe is good value and excellent food.Shame Dylan the chef left though.
 ojp 24 Jun 2012

detracting a little from the original post, what's the red at Machynlleth like?

Cheers

S
 wilkesley 24 Jun 2012

Quite a bit of nice easy stuff around Llyn Brenig. See: http://www.ridehiraethog.com/ridehiraethog/index.asp
 David Hooper 24 Jun 2012
In reply to wilkesley: yes that is a lovely ride forbeginners. There is also another one round the lake next door,can't remember the name but it will be on the hiraethog webbsite
Bimbler 24 Jun 2012
In reply to David Hooper:

Ok, well I'll make an effort to go midweek then!
 LP 24 Jun 2012
In reply to David Hooper: It's not quite North Wales but Nant Y Arian, just outside Aberystwyth, would suit perfectly. Mostly smooth, rolling single track with plenty of options in terms of distances.
 earlsdonwhu 24 Jun 2012
In reply to David Hooper: LLyn Alwen circuit.....can be combined with Brenig.
 David Hooper 24 Jun 2012
In reply to earlsdonwhu: that's the one and a surprisingly different feel to brenig - both worthwhile.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...