UKC

BlackBerry software update problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chay 25 Jun 2012
Hi,

Call technical minded people.

Today, a software update popped up for my BB 9900, so i pressed continue and it began installing updates or whatever, it was taking a while so i went climbing and left it, it had "Backing up your data" 11% when i left, and it's still the same 6 hours later when i return! I've tried taking the battery out but it just gets to the same point!

Any advice? frankly i'm sick of problems with BB!!
 Rhys Jones 25 Jun 2012
In reply to GingerBread22: This doesn't sound good. I have the same handset and installed new software about 3 weeks ago. The handset has had to be replaced as the update made it go a bit nuts. All the icons were tiny, most were missing, menu/ BB key didn't work. The list goes on. Stop it by any means!
 Timmd 25 Jun 2012
In reply to GingerBread22:

Have you tried the crackberry forum? Have you had lots of problems? I'm wondering about getting a Blackberry.
OP Chay 25 Jun 2012
In reply to Rhys Jones: Thanks for that.

Although i cant stop it, it seems to be crashed half way through, returns to the same position when i restart the phone or load it in safe mode. The update doesn't seem to be working!

Did you take it back to who you bought it from or?
OP Chay 25 Jun 2012
In reply to Timmd: Had so many problems with software updates, constantly have to take the battery out and restart the phone because it crashes and runs slow.

Wonderful phones when they're working right, but often, it's not the case.
 Timmd 25 Jun 2012
In reply to GingerBread22:What happens if you don't accept the software updates?
OP Chay 25 Jun 2012
In reply to Timmd: Your phone continues to run on an older version of the software, which is fine, but you're paying for the newest version, so it should work!.

However, you don't know if the update will cause problems until it's too late. e.g mine's stuck, doing nothing, unable to be fixed by me, i can't stop it or cancel the update.

Although it's still in warranty so it shouldn't be an issue, just very very irritating.

GB
 David Hooper 25 Jun 2012
In reply to GingerBread22: have you tried phoning BBs European customer support. They have been really excellent the odd times I've had issues.

0-800-096-2805

P.S. I wouldn't look at another phone apart from BB,I think they are a superb reliable piece of kit. My Bold is coupled with a BB PlayBook tablet and they really are a powerful and practical combo. I hardly you have the PC these days.
OP Chay 25 Jun 2012
In reply to David Hooper: Thanks David,

I'll have a go with the tech guys where i bought it and if that fails get in touch with BB's European customer support.

I'd love to be able to agree with you, blackberry's are, granted, a wonderful piece of kit, but this already my second hand set after the first strangely stopping working with a system issue- the reliability isn't there. At least not with this model, perhaps better with your phone model.

GB
 Timmd 25 Jun 2012
In reply to David Hooper:

What model is your Bold phone? I've been wondering about getting a Bold on contract.

Thanks.
 David Hooper 25 Jun 2012
In reply to Timmd: whoops,it's not a bold,it's a torch.the bold is top of the line though.
 Timmd 27 Jun 2012
In reply to David Hooper:

Right, I see, can you tell me what your Torch phone is if you've found it reliable?

Am after a hassle free phone.

Tim
 David Hooper 27 Jun 2012
In reply to Timmd: torch is full touch screen but with a proper slideout keyboard underneath.not quite as nice as the holds full frontal keyboard but we'll usable.the screening touches and swipes etc all work fine.
 Little Brew 27 Jun 2012
In reply to GingerBread22: How are you updating, via download or attached to a PC. if as a standalone, try attaching it to the BB app on the PC, seemed to fix any problems I had with my Crapberry! now a iPhone user and never going to Crapberry again!!!
 Bob Hughes 27 Jun 2012
In reply to Timmd: I hate my blackberry. You can only update apps one at a time, you have to reboot each time there's an update. The only good thing about them is the keyboard.
 Timmd 27 Jun 2012
In reply to Bob Hughes:

It's the keyboard which appeals, and some people I know being on Blackberries, so it'll save them some money texting me, and save myself some. It's an orange contract i'm thinking about where you pick the contract and then choose the phone.

I'm the kind of person who's not fussed about apps and wouldn't get round to accepting updates.

If I can access emails and have a querty keypad, and search the web a bit and not keep paying out on my pay as you go phone, if it's reliable I think i'd be pretty happy with a Blackberry phone.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...