UKC

Lightweight down bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Flat4matt 30 Jun 2012
Hi, im currently looking for a lightweight down bag. I initially was going to go for the rab atlas350 but it sold out, plus i felt the ratings were slightly too warm(i do appreciate theyre a very rough guide only and are dependant on many factors) an also theyre now sold out!! Anyway the bag that stands out for me at the monent is the vaude featherlite350. It ticks the right boxes for me. Its light,Is rated to around 1oc with a limit of -13i think, its pack size is nice and small and importantly, its around the 100pound mark (plus post ontop)which is my limit really. Are there any bags out there of a similar spec that you feel worthy of a mention? The use for the bag is for wild camping and am doing the pennine way next year so needs to be nice and light yet comfortable enough if temperature drops.
Any help would be appreciated.
Many thanks
Matt
In reply to Flat4matt: Have a look at Alpkit's pipedream series. I'm really pleased with mine.
 CurlyStevo 01 Jul 2012
In reply to Flat4matt: with these light weight down bags its all in the fill power (and having goose down). high quality high fill power (750+ ish) goose down is a totally different beast, it looks nothing like feathers whilst lower fill power does look more like feathers and will have more feathers mixed in and is often duck. high fill power lofts much better and retains that loft for much longer with use. I remain skeptical that any bag with a fill power of 500 and weighing 750 grams will be keeping you warm at 1 degrees after couple of years of use. in my experience these bag ratings are variable between manufacturers, but the extreme ratings are worthless stick to what they call comfort. imo.spend the money on a better quality down, have you looked at the alpkit bags?
Flat4matt 01 Jul 2012
In reply to Flat4matt:

Thanks for the replies. Yes im a big fan of alpkit but their bags were slightly out of my price range to be honest. But judging by the comments ive read elsewhere and the above it seems theyre quite popular. I think what im wanting maybe ambitious. Im wanting as light as i can get, pack as small as i can get, have a good level of comfort and be as cheap as i can get! Is there such a product??!! Maybe the alpkit bags tick those boxes? Ill have to revisit their site and see the specs etc and have another think!
 Dr.S at work 01 Jul 2012
In reply to Flat4matt:
blizzard bag?.............
<walks away whistling with hands in pocket>
Flat4matt 01 Jul 2012
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Tut tut :-D
In reply to Flat4matt:

Vango Venom series? 300 or 400?

That's if you can't stretch to the PD400.
August West 03 Jul 2012
In reply to Flat4matt:
> Im wanting as light as i can get, pack as small as i can get, ...and be as cheap as i can get!

Good luck.

Let us know when you find it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...