UKC

not in the click

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ds15 04 Jul 2012
started climbing recently really enjoy the sport and always will. the one thing i find is some of the centres i climb at one in perticular if your not one off the super cool in the click crowd people can be strange towards you, which is offputting. anyone else experienced this?
 Chay 04 Jul 2012
In reply to ds15: Piss in their kit bags when they're not looking. Can't promise they'll like you any more but you'll feel much better.

GB
 The Pylon King 04 Jul 2012
In reply to ds15:

what is a click?
ds15 04 Jul 2012
In reply to Formerly Known as Pylon King:
> (In reply to ds15)
>
> what is a click? its like the circle of trust on the fockers

The Pylon King 04 Jul 2012
In reply to ds15:
> (In reply to Formerly Known as Pylon King)
> [...]

now you really have lost me.

fokker tri-planes?
 jaxxman 04 Jul 2012

I think he actually meant to use the word 'Clique'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clique
 birdie num num 05 Jul 2012
In reply to Formerly Known as Pylon Quing:
I think you know what it is but you just want to broadcast your scorn.
 EZ 05 Jul 2012
In reply to ds15:

It takes all sorts in the world. Just let them be and ignore them. If they try to provoke you or prevent you from enjoying your day at the climbing centre then complain to the centre management and if they do not do anything about it then vote with your feet and vocally name and shame to as many people as you can (being careful not to defame the centre).
At least that's what I would do.
In reply to jaxxman:

And pronounced "cleek"

ALC
 handjammer 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: "If they try to provoke you or prevent you from enjoying your day at the climbing centre then complain to the centre management"

That's a bit like running crying to Mummy though isn't it? Just tell those concerned that you're not interested in their pathetic little group, however strongly worded that needs to be.

I very much doubt the management would give a toss anyway.
 The Lemming 05 Jul 2012
In reply to ds15:

Personally I don't believe in cliques. People form friendships and group together in all walks of life and they either allow new people into the group or they do not. Its a fact of life.

You have one option which is to carry on with your enjoyment of life and climbing where ever that is. Eventually you may foster friendships with this clique, or you may not.

But does it really matter in the grand scheme of things?
aultguish 05 Jul 2012
In reply to ds15: Supercool and cliquey? Is this how they see themselves, or is it just your perception of them?
 tspoon1981 05 Jul 2012
In reply to ds15: They may not be acting strange, that may be there normal behaviour. 9 times out of 10, people at walls are more interested in what they or there friends are doing and not what you or I or any one else is up to.

I wouldn't bother centre management, I'm sure they have better things to do than worry about cliques and imagined personality clashes.
 Dominion 05 Jul 2012
In reply to ds15:

Just ignore it. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter how other people behave towards you, only how you behave towards other people.

So as long as you don't act like some sort of idiot, then people will accept you, and it's their loss if they don't.
 The Pylon King 05 Jul 2012
In reply to birdie num num:
> (In reply to Formerly Known as Pylon Quing)
> I think you know what it is but you just want to broadcast your scorn.

no, i genuinely thought it was some sort of nu-youth term.
In reply to ds15: I noticed this when I started climbing. Everybody seemed quite ignorant tbh. The more you get out the better you'll get and you will start to talk and mingle more. I think just about all climbers are sound now! Most of the hard things I've done have been a result of people I don't know spending a fair bit of time helping with beta and people I now hang out with spending there time going to the same place over and over.
 JMarkW 05 Jul 2012
In reply to aultguish:
> (In reply to ds15) Supercool and cliquey? Is this how they see themselves, or is it just your perception of them?

Generally the latter 9 times out of ten. Usually the really strong folk are very pleasant, its the wanna-be's that sometimes aint.

cheers
mark
 d_b 05 Jul 2012
In reply to Mark Westerman:

I agree. Having said that I have had enough bad experiences with numpty belayers that I will think twice about climbing with someone I don't know from Adam.
 Offwidth 05 Jul 2012

"no, i genuinely thought it was some sort of nu-youth term." no it's a vieillard term you ignoramous.

clique (klk, klk)
n.
A small exclusive group of friends or associates.
intr.v. cliqued, cliqu·ing, cliques Informal
To form, associate in, or act as a clique.

[French, from Old French, latch or from obsolete French cliquer, to click, clink, of imitative origin.]
J1234 05 Jul 2012
In reply to ds15:
Hey it`s ds15 , we have been waiting all our lives for you to arrive, fancy coming on a trip with us.
Seriously, hang around be friendly, nod and smile, maybe ask for a little advice. Climbers are climbers and they like other climbers and gradually you will become part of groups, but don`t expect a group of mates who have known each other for 10,20 or 30 years to suddenly think your their new best buddy.
Climbers are the least cliquey group I have ever come across, but you need to give it a little time.
 EZ 05 Jul 2012
In reply to handjammer:

It kind of depends upon what they are doing to offend the OP and if it is direct intervention then I would certainly advise the centre. It may be like telling mummy but what's wrong with that. A week or two back I was shot down for saying don't tell the coppers about "suspicious" or about abusive behaviour from another driver. Where's the difference?

If the centre decides that they are not interested then they will do nothing, but if they do care then they have more evidence of the behaviour that they are interested in and so can make a decision about this apparent clique sooner.

It may be that the OP is over-sensitive and I expect that this would become apparent to them if they spoke to someone in charge anyway. If there is no clique after all and those climbers are just Tom Dick and Harry who are really nice people then hey ho. The OP will find out some more info that will dissolve their angst.

It is entirely possible that telling these people to just 'f' off will evoke such rage that the OP gets a key down his car or a smashed light or worse followed home and harassed outside the centre.

Telling mummy is no wrong thing to do and to stigmatise someone for popping their head up and complaining to an interested party is just daft.
 fire_munki 05 Jul 2012
In reply to ds15:
SJC is right, enjoy yourself say hi and if you're there regulary you'll get recognised and get hellos and short chats.
It takes a while anywhere for people to say hi, only normal.
 Jimbo C 05 Jul 2012
In reply to ds15:

In what way are they being strange towards you?

Is this when you approach them or do they approach you?
 Calder 05 Jul 2012
In reply to ds15:

Solution:

Start your own clique. Then when your clique is big enough, rough them up a bit. If they're still off with you after then have a full on royal rumble and kick their sorry arses into oblivion.
 stujamo 05 Jul 2012
In reply to aultguish: Nice point
 Blue Straggler 06 Jul 2012
In reply to ds15:

I give this 4/10
 Elmo9090 06 Jul 2012
Just proven the point!
J1234 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to ds15)
>
> I give this 4/10

You reckon, 8/10 pure genius, the emotive subject, but not too emotive, spelling and grammar errors, friction between num num and pylon, and started new profile, it has it all.

bouldery bits 06 Jul 2012
In reply to sjc:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
> [...]
>
> You reckon, 8/10 pure genius, the emotive subject, but not too emotive, spelling and grammar errors, friction between num num and pylon, and started new profile, it has it all.

Yes,
Excellent excellent work.
 bpmclimb 06 Jul 2012
In reply to ds15:

I would say - be glad you're not one of the click. You don't want to be in there, thinking you're cool but with all the reasonable, friendly human beings quietly thinking to themselves that you're a complete prat.
 stoneback 06 Jul 2012
In reply to ds15:

Easy...

Go climbing outside!
 Blue Straggler 06 Jul 2012
In reply to sjc:

You have a point, but the score gets lowered for new profiles IMHO, it's kind of cheating. I'll see you halfway and give it a 6

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...