UKC

Climbing on the Ribblehead viaduct

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tony 05 Jul 2012
Cool pic of a soloist on the Ribblehead viaduct:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/picture/2012/jul/05/1

Don't remember it being quite that sunny last time I was there...
 EZ 05 Jul 2012
In reply to tony:

I wonder how they did on the roof?!?
 graeme jackson 05 Jul 2012
In reply to tony: It's an interesting pic but doesn't it just make you want to kill folk that use fotoshop
 Red Rover 05 Jul 2012
In reply to tony: I'm not an expert but is it shopped? Looks like she's stuck on. And she seems to be in an unlikely body position, looks a bit like the Leeds Wall logo.
 DancingOnRock 05 Jul 2012
In reply to tony: It's 105ft high. She must be about 12ft tall.
 Boulderdash86 05 Jul 2012
In reply to tony: Can't see a shadow from her going by where all the other shadows are?
 kwoods 05 Jul 2012
Beautifully composed pic, albeit a bit heavy on the saturation.
 Red Rover 05 Jul 2012
In reply to Steve John B: Wow he really likes his photoshop! If this one isnt shopped then it would have been messy

http://www.chrisfrazersmith.com/index.php#!/photo.php?id=212
 EZ 05 Jul 2012
In reply to DancingOnRock:

Actually I don't think the scale is far off even if it is photoshopped.

Have a look at this vid: youtube.com/watch?v=q9OirN1e9W0&
At about 09:14s the chap is stood on the ground about 6 inches below the bottom stone and is roughly the same height as 3 stones. A fully stretched climbing pose doesn't look unreasonable at 4 stones in height.

Agree that is does seem an odd place to be. Surely a 'real' climber would just be traversing low to the ground?
 graeme jackson 05 Jul 2012
In reply to Steve John B:
They certainly look like they've been processed. If there's been no jiggery pokery then i'd be very interested to learn his techniques.
 Conan 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:
At 6 foot for 3 stones in video, the climber in photo covers 4 stones from base of left heal to top of head so that would make them 8 foot
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:
>
>
> Agree that is does seem an odd place to be. Surely a 'real' climber would just be traversing low to the ground?

I love the irony!!!!

Chris
 StuartCJones 07 Jul 2012
lol.

That is all.
 JLS 07 Jul 2012
In reply to tony:

Rubbish sequence. There's a huge jug on the left she's missing.
In reply to Conan:

Ah, but you use smaller stones as you get higher.

ALC
 Timmd 08 Jul 2012
In reply to Red Rover:
> (In reply to Steve John B) Wow he really likes his photoshop! If this one isnt shopped then it would have been messy
>
> http://www.chrisfrazersmith.com/index.php#!/photo.php?id=212

I wouldn't assume it's photo shopped, I saw some divers on TV diving down a cliff face into a pool of water from high up on a ledge, and the distances were similar to those in the pic you linked to.
 Tris 08 Jul 2012
In reply to Timmd: Is that not straight down though?

In this picture judging by his body angle, the guy needs to be moving at a horizontal speed of 40mph* or he's going to get splatted

*completely made up speed
 digby 08 Jul 2012
In reply to Boulderdash86:

> (In reply to tony) Can't see a shadow from her going by where all the other shadows are?

?? There's a very long shadow right where you'd expect it from the low angle of the sun, along her left leg and extending down from her left foot; which makes her look a lot longer than she is. Compare the figure to the stone wall.

This is not photoshopped.
 Tris 08 Jul 2012
In reply to tony: I think they were trying to rescue that goat trapped on the ledge..

http://tinyurl.com/dxrotw4
In reply to Tris:

Like it
 Mark Collins 08 Jul 2012
In reply to digby: Agreed, this is not photoshopped as is being described by some on here. Another term for this is Composite Photography, and an art in its own right in my view. Shadows are key, many an evening I've sat through comps at my local photo club when objects look obviously stuck on. This doesn't, although the figure is so small in the frame it would be easy enough to alter the lighting on them to correspond with the background.
 JSA 08 Jul 2012
In reply to Mark Collins:

Definitely photoshopped!

The shadow of the head is in the wrong place, it's too high up given the angle of the shadows from the corbles(sticky out bits of stone), The shadow of the left arm isn't right either, too narrow for the position of the arm. The right foot is way too high for there to be a foothold, as is the left hand. There is also no strong shadow of the chalkbag.

There are also a few other things I've seen, such as pixel size difference between the climber and the rest of the photo to suggest photoshop.
 Red Rover 08 Jul 2012
In reply to Timmd: Its not the height but the fact the diver doesnt have any water below them, going to be a messy one onto the boulders
 Timmd 08 Jul 2012
In reply to Tris:
> (In reply to Timmd) Is that not straight down though?
>
> In this picture judging by his body angle, the guy needs to be moving at a horizontal speed of 40mph* or he's going to get splatted
>
> *completely made up speed

I'm not sure, on TV I saw people diving down a diagonal into a pool at the bottom of the cliff, they'd climb up the side and stand on a ledge, and make the sign of the cross before diving off again.

It looked nuts to me but they landed into the water alright after diving down what was a slab, it was a steepish slab but still a slab all the same. Was somewhere in South America I think.

I'm not sure it did any good, but i'm not surprised they made the sign of the cross, there was a lot to go wrong.
In reply to tony: It's a bit over exposed!
 graeme jackson 09 Jul 2012
In reply to graeme jackson:
> (In reply to tony) It's an interesting pic but doesn't it just make you want to kill folk that use fotoshop

Just to clarify my original comment - I have no interest in whether or not the climbing has been faked. I just really hate these over-processed photos where all the colours look oversaturated.
 Calder 09 Jul 2012

I suppose this isn't photoshopped, either:

http://www.chrisfrazersmith.com/index.php#!/photo.php?id=247

?!
 Lee Sutcliffe 09 Jul 2012
In reply to graeme jackson:
Looks like HDR (High Dynamic Range)You can tell because you would expect the stonework to be in more shadow, but it's very clear.
Usually three pictures are over laid on top of each other with varying exposure levels to give you and naturally exposed images
cap'nChino 09 Jul 2012
In reply to tony: This has to be photo shopped. The practicalities of climbing this make it unrealistic. Coupled with the fact no one in the climbing community has heard of or mentioned this before now.
 Scarab9 09 Jul 2012
In reply to tony:

look at his site, of course it's not a real climber actually climbing the viaduct, it's his style. geez
 Pete O'Donovan 09 Jul 2012
In reply to cap'nChino:

>The practicalities of climbing this make it unrealistic.

Maybe...

http://osp.com.au/?p=3307#!prettyPhoto

JLS 09 Jul 2012
 Mark Collins 09 Jul 2012
In reply to Calder: Wow, that's even more impressive Well judging by the rest of the owners work it seems I stand corrected. Not sure how this fits in the Guardian's Eye Witness series though. Shoddy journalism I guess.
 Calder 09 Jul 2012
> (In reply to Calder) Wow, that's even more impressive Well judging by the rest of the owners work it seems I stand corrected. Not sure how this fits in the Guardian's Eye Witness series though. Shoddy journalism I guess.

Aye, I guess that because it was for a centre page spread they probably weren't that bothered about its integrity, and more bothered whether it was a good image or not.

I'll let them off this once....

In fairness though, some of the images are quite good, and it appears he gets his fair share of commissions out of it, so who are we to criticise..... (?!!!)
 Pete O'Donovan 09 Jul 2012
In reply to Calder:

> In fairness though, some of the images are quite good, and it appears he gets his fair share of commissions out of it, so who are we to criticise..... (?!!!)

Speaking personally as both a climber and photographer, 'photoshoping' to improve contrast, colour fidelity etc. is acceptable.

To use the same techniques in order to place a climber in a position he or she is not actually in (if this is indeed the case with this picture) is totally unacceptable to me as a climber.

Pete.
 Mark Collins 10 Jul 2012
In reply to Pete O'Donovan: I think it's ok to do anything creative with photography, as long as the end result is stood up for what it is and not what it appears to be. I suggest the problem here is that the photographer sells an image to a publication, and at that point loses control over how the image is presented.
 George Ormerod 10 Jul 2012
In reply to Pete O'Donovan:
> (In reply to cap'nChino)
>
> >The practicalities of climbing this make it unrealistic.
>
> Maybe...
>
> http://osp.com.au/?p=3307#!prettyPhoto

This thread was worth it for a read of that blog. Far more impressive than some ropey photoshop job.

Calder 12 Jul 2012
In reply to Pete O'Donovan:
> (In reply to Calder)
>
> [...]
>
> Speaking personally as both a climber and photographer, 'photoshoping' to improve contrast, colour fidelity etc. is acceptable.
>
> To use the same techniques in order to place a climber in a position he or she is not actually in (if this is indeed the case with this picture) is totally unacceptable to me as a climber.
>
> Pete.

I was actually referring to the non-climbing related stuff. The Ribblehead one that triggered the thread (and that hurdling one) is actually really crap compared to his other work.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...