UKC

Having Kids In Your 40s

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Fay Kye Dee 05 Jul 2012
Any opinions on safety for mother and child?

How about any based on up-to-date scientific information?
 EZ 05 Jul 2012
In reply to Fay Kye Dee:

If anybody would like to add diabetes into this mix as well, I'll be watching this thread avidly. Thanks very much
 andyb211 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Fay Kye Dee: Evening, sorrry morning sleep deprivation catching up! We have just had our 6th child and our 1st little girl and mmy wife is 45, I'm 46, all the boys have been 8 - 9lbs but little Sophia was a tiny squidge at 4 lb 2oz and rebecca had lots of probs with high BP together with fetal growth retardaation, weekly gestastional scans, frquent visits to MAU, very definately never again! There is a great web site, Beck will know it but she's fast asleep at the mo, I've got Soph crashed out on my shoulder, email me thru here and I'll get the web address for you we found it really reassuring regarding the decisions re tests and up to date information.
 krikoman 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Fay Kye Dee: 44 me and my missus when she had no.2, a girl - no probs but scary, lots of horror stories and extra stuff to worry about. But she's a perfect 6 year old now.
 krikoman 06 Jul 2012
In reply to andyb211: Six is time to stop!! snip snipity
In reply to krikoman:
> (In reply to andyb211) Six is time to stop!! snip snipity

Two bricks.

mlt 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Fay Kye Dee:

My Mum had me at 40. Apart from giving birth to a ginger and a case of bad hemorrhoids starting at 20 I think I turned O.K... JUST about.
 Steve John B 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Fay Kye Dee: I've got male family who had children when they were in their early 50's, I think the mum was late 30's. They turned out fine, no birth/pregnancy issues as far as I'm aware and certainly no health problems for the kids
 MargieB 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Fay Kye Dee:
had a baby at 42- but I needed to vitamin formula Floradix from health shops and folic acid at least 6 MONTHS BEFORE CONCEIVING cause I had 3 miscarriages. Floradix after birth- good to help low iron. I had a perfect pregnancy but this is in- house knowledge and is now shared with friends of an older era who all believe in this appoach to get a result...
 smallclimber 07 Jul 2012
In reply to Fay Kye Dee:
I had my first child when I was 40 and the second only 16 months later at 42. They are now 22 months and 6 months and both are perfectly healthy. I had no specific problems outside of the expected pregnancy niggles, sore back, fatigue etc. I do feel pretty tired these days, but I live in the US so am already back at work (they haven't cottoned on to maternity leave over here yet!). Not sure that the being tired is any worse at 42 than any mother with two kids under 2 would feel anyway. I do have recurring back pain, but that had started to be a problem several years before the pregnancies, though I think it's not helped by lifting the children ( I am very petite myself so they are quite a weight for me).
I did do some additional diagnostic tests in the pregnancy, pm me if you want details.
Good luck!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...