UKC

Amersham

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
General Lee 08 Jul 2012
Strange question.

Why is it that everyone excepts that the climb in Amersham is ridiculously hot on a sunny day even when its not hot outside.

Has everyone given up on trying to educate the management of the climb that there business plan must be doomed in the long run and with a the climbing walls opening up in the area or is there a good reason for this most bizarre occurrence?
 Monk 08 Jul 2012
In reply to General Lee:
Seeing as it has been this way since it opened 10+ years ago, I fail to see how the business plan isn't working. And I don't think it's a deliberate plan - it's simply the fact that it's in a swimming pool building that will always be heated to 30 degrees and is glass fronted. The management have tried for years to keep it cool, but nothing works.
 spartacus 08 Jul 2012
In reply to General Lee:
I think Amersham is a small climb trying its best. If you don't like it you should go elsewhere.

The fact that I am good friends and climbing buddies with most of the staff has nothing to do with it. I would willinging pay double what I normally have to on entry.

So what if it doubles as the sauna for the gym next door? Can't you see it should be a privilege to use it? Why do you slag it off it's not like your a customer and nexus are providing a service.
 razzorbuzz 09 Jul 2012
In reply to Aztec Bar: Im an Amersham climber, people always say the same thing but the atmosphere and fun I have when climbing there has not been matched at any of the other "big walls" Reading, MK and don't even get me started on Hemel ;(.
 spartacus 09 Jul 2012
In reply to razzorbuzz:
interesting, I live close to Amersham and my local ratings would be (don't do bouldering);

1. Reading, good centre, excellent route setting, good cafe. New slab bit with some harder routes very appreciated.

2. West way, old favorate, go at least once a week, size gives it plenty of variety.

3. Milton Keynes, good cettre, bit of a drive, like the routes. Cafe ok.

4. Phazels wood. It's outdoors and good for odd sunny evening, good venue for teaching belay stances, getting bit polished low down.

5. Hemel, has some good moulded panels which are fun. Seem to remember lots of long 6a type stuff which were not very inspiring and wore you down with identical sized holds up fairly blank walls. Pricing and missing wall an error (especially in winter).

6. Hatfield, token wall, routes rarely changed, run by health and safety nutter with more warning signs than a new mower.

7. Amersham, live 4 miles away and get in free with nexus gym card. Go every 6 months when I have forgotten how hot and humid it was on the last occasion. Restrictive opening means access in evenings and weekends only. Friendly but massively flawed.
 Monk 09 Jul 2012
In reply to Aztec Bar:

> (In reply to razzorbuzz)
> interesting, I live close to Amersham and my local ratings would be (don't do bouldering);

I'm very surprised that you rate Hatfield and Phasels above Amersham although the comment about not bouldering probably explains it. To me, Amersham's strength is in its bouldering. When I used to go there a lot, it was the best bouldering around, and there is still very little to compare locally (although Reading does, and I believe MK may be better but I've not been). The rope routes at Amersham were always fairly poor and bizarre. I was quite sad when I moved far enough away from Amersham that it wasn't worth the trip any more.
 spartacus 09 Jul 2012
In reply to Monk:
The temp at the bouldering end can be ok, at the lead end you hit a wall of hot humid air about 5 meters up which pools in the tower. It is most obvious as you are lowered and notice the temp drop.

The parent company nexus seem reluctant to solve this problem with the rather obvious solution of windows high up to let this hot air out and circulate fresh air.

Interestingly nexus have just closed two saunas at local gyms for 'environmental ' reasons. I would think the addition of windows at the climb would also save the environmental costs of running ineffective fans of air con in fruitless attempts to cool the place.
 Neil Williams 09 Jul 2012
In reply to Aztec Bar:

Just got an email saying that the Hemel "missing wall" issue is finally to be rectified - they're going to put clear perspex and roller shutters on the end.

Neil
 spartacus 10 Jul 2012
In reply to Neil Williams:
That's good news! Any idea timescale? In time for winter.?
 gingerdave13 10 Jul 2012
In reply to Monk: Howdy monk likewise.. i'd agree nowt wrong with amersham.

i've been climbing there for (on and off) 13 years now.... I did have a flirtation with Westway for a while, but seem to be now back with my old favourite. It's always been hot, but it's a good mix of peeps, is very friendly and yes the routing can be strange, but it sure does know how to put a kick in the tail end of a route.

With the new (well ish) boulder comp wall and frequently changed stuff it's got enough to keep you coming back for more.
General Lee 10 Jul 2012
In reply to General Lee:

First of all thank you all for your input.

Lets make 1 thing clear I'm not into bouldering and for that reason any argument relating to the bouldering wall don't apply here.

I agree that it's not an unfriendly place and no-one said that there was anything wrong with there routes, but the other walls mentioned before are just as friendly, apart from Hatfield maybe seems to be run be a nutter.

The fact that is has been hot for over 10 years is not a good thing or argument, and if nexus really that concerned about the environment then why don't they install those high level windows to replace the completely useless air-conditioning and fens.

I find it hard to believe that it makes real money and that the rest of the nexus has not been keeping the climb going as it's rarely that busy with paying customers.

So my conclusion has to be that so far no-one seems to have a substantial argument or explanation for why the nexus management has not solved the long ongoing issue with the high level heat problem in the climbing wall.
 spartacus 10 Jul 2012
In reply to General Lee:
I agree with above. I can't believe this post has lasted so long without a contribution from the Amersham 'if you don't like it go elsewhere and good riddance' type mafia.
 Monk 10 Jul 2012
In reply to General Lee:
> (In reply to General Lee)
>
> First of all thank you all for your input.
>
> Lets make 1 thing clear I'm not into bouldering and for that reason any argument relating to the bouldering wall don't apply here.
>

As I said previously, I have always viewed Amersham as a bouldering wall and I think that's where its strength lies. The routes have always been poor. Now you've said that, I can see why you wouldn't rate Amersham.
Global Goddess 22 Jul 2012
In reply to General Lee: Here we go again!!! Same old General Lee, suprise, suprise!!

Over the years you have had no end of replys as to why Amersham has a heat issue, you have even had a first hand response from The Climb managment in the past yet here you are again on a UKC Forum asking the same boring question!

Having worked at The Climb full time for 5 years, and had to bite my tongue when every summer you come to The Climb and its obviously going to be hot as you know all to well its going to be then you post on here with the same old babble. Now that I no longer work there, Im going to be frank...

Every one knows Amersham is hot, it always has been and always will be, it has nothing to do with The Climb's staff or immediate managment, they have tried their upmost to sort it out but 'Nexus' do not care about the heat issue in The Climb it really is that simple aslong as it has kids party bookings,and a full Junior Climbing Club it pays its way. As for the 'real cimbers' that use it the staff care a huge deal about them and make every effort to make climbing at The Climb a pleasant experiance. The staff have to work AND climb in it so they know all to well that its TOO HOT!!

However in short they are powerless to do anything about solving the issue. They have tried and tried and tried but in the grand scheme of things, The Climb is of no real importance to Nexus. So it wont ever get any cooler.

So if you dont like it, dont go it really is that simple!

If you are serious about having your opinion heard then I strongly suggest you write a very angry letter to the General Manager of the Chiltern Pools complex along with a letter to the board of Directors of Nexus Community. Posting on here will solve nothing. As I have already mentioned, unfortunalty everyone who works at The Climb are powerless on this matter.

spartacus 23 Jul 2012
In reply to Global Goddess:
Hi sorry to hear you left The Climb, hope new job going well.
I agree with everything above except your solution, which is to give up.

i.munro 23 Jul 2012
In reply to Aztec Bar:

> I agree with everything above except your solution, which is to give up.

Nice! The only way this might change is to persuade the management that they're actually losing
more money than the mods would cost.

FWIW I went once never thought about returning because of the heat.

spartacus 23 Jul 2012
In reply to i.munro:
to me it all seems to be a complete waste of opertunity. the climbing wall business seems to be in good health, I don't think The climb are fully aware of how many attend and leave never to return like yourself.
I get in free and still rarely go.
I sort of agree with the principal of if you don't like it go elsewhere which I follow.

I will try and be tactful here but the managers seem to be poorly paid staff members who take up the position in house with little or no real managerial experience (which is hardly surprising given wages). They are young in age and it can hardly be the most stimulating job given its poor attendance and the apparent lack of support indicated by the owners Nexus.

I have considered what I would do to light the place up a bit in terms of opening hours and ongoing heat problem. However the pay is poor and it strikes me as a good way to spoil an enjoyable hobby. I would however enjoy taking on the nexus management in a positive way by actually researching solutions / costs and the positive outcomes that may result in additional revenue and staff moral which seems to suffer from their apparent neglect.
Algebraist 01 Aug 2012
In reply to General Lee:
I'm a regular climber at Amersham and have been for a number of years. Yes it can get hot but I've never seen it as a major issue. On more hot days it is definitely rather hot - but as long as there are a couple of fans going to cool yourself between climbs, as there have been recently, its ok. More frequently it is rather warm from above a few meters from the ground but not really found a problem for climbing. Given that the UK is often too cold rather than warm it can be a nice change!
In terms of problems for climbing I think the cold at Hemel in winter is much more of an issue!
However having said that - if there are people being put off climbing by the heat then nothing wrong with putting a bit of pressure on Nexus and management to sort it out and get the temperature a closer to an ideal level.

I don't agree at all with the comment about the routes being poor at Amersham. All the routes are on walls with good moulded features and the route setting is always interesting. The only thing I usually complain about is difficulty but then its quite fun going to places like Milton Keynes and Westway and "laugh" at quite alot of inconsistent grading or easy routes. Also feel that Amersham is good practice for outdoor stuff because of the features.
Also please Hemel - can you redo your routes more often. That was more the reason why I stopped going there after seeing the sames routes up for many, many months!
Damonclark 24 Aug 2012
In reply to General Lee: I'm not to sure their business is doomed... its been operating for around 15 years..

I think the problem is being located next to the pool, I'm sure if they could fix, they would..

However the XC in Hemel Hempstead is perfect at the moment... and good news, the end section is being covered over for winter..

Damonclark 24 Aug 2012
In reply to General Lee. XC will be implementing a regular route changing schedule asap...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...