UKC

European Car Insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bennys89 09 Jul 2012
I am moving to the Alps in October (France to be precise). I will be out there year round and only heading back to UK every 6 months-ish.

Anyone who has spent time in the alps with a car, do you know about insurance requirements?

I have spoken to many British insurers and they only cover europes for max 60-90days in the year. I will be spending 6months at a time, if not longer out there.

Does anyone know about insurance companies who would cover this?

Any suggestions will be great.

Cheers.
 imkevinmc 09 Jul 2012
In reply to bennys89: so you'll be resident in France. Which means complying with French regulations. You're stepping outside of normal tourist rules so can't expect a UK insurance company to cover you.
 bigbobbyking 09 Jul 2012
In reply to bennys89:

Try looking into Farmer's Union car insurance. Some folks who live in Geneva managed to get cover while they were out for long periods (1-2 years) without returning to the UK... May have changed by now.
Phil Payne 09 Jul 2012
In reply to bennys89:

Have a word with these guys: https://www.stuartcollins.com/quote.php

OK if you're spending time 50/50 in UK/France but if you're doing a permanent move then you will have to re-register your car and get French insurance.

It's quite easy to re-register, but can cost about £1000 by the time you get the headlights changed, get control technique, carte gris and and European CofC and number plates. Bonus is that after it's done, there's no road tax, MOT every 2 years and insurance is cheaper.
OP bennys89 09 Jul 2012
In reply to Phil Payne: Thanks guys!

Phil that looks like a possibility, I will get in touch with them and see what type of cover they offer and what the policies cover.

I will be out there all winter and probably back and forth a handfull of times over the summe but mainly based in france.

I will be employed by english companies if this makes any difference??

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...