UKC

Replacement disk brake

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SiWood 11 Jul 2012
I am quite new to up to date mtb technology so please excuse my lack of knowledge on this subject.
My front disk brake on my Orange P7 (Avid Elixir R) is causing problems by pads sticking. The local reputable bike shop told me the unit was faulty from new and should be replaced. Any warranty period is probably finished even if I could find the paperwork.
Can anyone recommend a good equivalent Avid replacement model as I think the Elixir R model is now discontinued.
I assume I can just replace the whole front brake setup.
Thanks in advance for any useful advice.
In reply to SiWood: without seeing them its hard to say exactly what might be wrong with them. you've got two options really: get a second opinion as to wether they are actually fault or just need cleaning (easy job) or take them back to the shop you get them from and as they've admitted they're faulty, they should fix or replace them under sales of goods act (this superceeds any warranty you might have). I know which Id try first!
 David Hooper 11 Jul 2012
In reply to higherclimbingwales: i think sale ofgoods is good for 6 years regardless of what manufacturers warranty says.

Loads ofgoods replacement brakesaround.Shimano SLX is probably all you ever need at a second nsible price.

Consistently good reviews but pricy isFormula R1.

Or you could fly the flagand go for Hope X2 or similar
 Bob Hughes 11 Jul 2012
In reply to SiWood:

If you end up having to replace it...

There are lots of other elixir models still in production even if the R. If possible, I'd try to stick with similar brakes front and back so e.g. your brake pads are interchangeable / compatible (you only need to carry one set of spare pads or you can put rear pads on the front to get you home in a fix) and only one bleed kit.

I say this from experience - being tight I bought a cheap Shimano brake to replace some avid 3s and ended up spending the best part of the difference on a new bleed kit and pads.
 MHutch 11 Jul 2012
In reply to SiWood:

Sticking when extended or the other way round? What did they say was wrong with them?
 LastBoyScout 11 Jul 2012
In reply to SiWood:

I have dismantled a caliper and cleaned it to fix a sticky piston - they were Giant MPH3. It's messy and a faff, but possible.

If you're replacing them, then I'd agree with the Shimano SLX as a good option - check the online shops for best price, I got my XTs from Ribble.
 gethin_allen 11 Jul 2012
In reply to SiWood:
+1 for the shimano option, even deore are a good option.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...