UKC

The MUST have T5 van!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam Mayfield 16 Jul 2012
Now I have had a T5 but it looked nothing like this and was too small for Rich and myself as it had the rock and roll bed which was too narrow!

youtube.com/watch?v=ydxhdaC-F0s&

How cool is this new one?

Sam Orange :0)

check out the price though!!!!

better video here actually

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIG9P0lB1iA&feature=related
 muppetfilter 16 Jul 2012
In reply to Sam Mayfield: Aye ... but you will still be grubbing about under the drivers seat when the soldered central locking wire corrodes at 40,000 miles ;0)
 Cuthbert 16 Jul 2012
In reply to Sam Mayfield:

You can't stand up in it. Not cool.
OP Sam Mayfield 16 Jul 2012
In reply to Saor Alba:

sign of getting old Saor when you need to stand up :0)

Which is why I now have a hightop Transit

Sam Orange
 Climber_Bill 16 Jul 2012

Nearly £55,000 for the top spec model!!!

Don't think there'll be too many of those sold at the moment.

Rich.
 Climber_Bill 16 Jul 2012
In reply to Richard White:

Let's say you owned it for 10 years and used it for 50 days a year, so 500 days over 10 years.

That is £110 per day cost for your accomodation and that does not include fuel, insurance, servicing etc.

Rich.
 gethin_allen 16 Jul 2012
for far less than the cost of something like that you could buy a proper campervan and be the envy of all your T4/5 driving friends when you sit back in your spacious lounge or go for a shower, or take the skis/bikes out of the garage.
The only downside is the fuel that such a van would drink; a nice hymermobil with a 2.8 TDI gets about 22 mpg
 muppetfilter 16 Jul 2012
In reply to Richard White: factor in the resale value which will stay high even after 10 years.
 gethin_allen 16 Jul 2012
In reply to Richard White:
"That is £110 per day cost for your accomodation and that does not include fuel, insurance, servicing etc."

But you don't scrap a 55K van at the end of 10 years, even my 10 year only ford focus has some value as it stands.
 Climber_Bill 16 Jul 2012
In reply to gethin_allen:
> (In reply to Richard White)

> But you don't scrap a 55K van at the end of 10 years, even my 10 year only ford focus has some value as it stands.

No of course not. Some of those costs would be recouped from resale. And there are also lots of other campervan and motorhome type vehicles nearly or as expensive.

However, as climbers, we travel away lots of weekends and for a few weeks a year. This would be a very expensive form of combined accomodation and transport.

To justify going away as often as we can, most climbers I know try to keep costs to a minimum. Using one of these, as great as they probably are, is not keeping costs to a minimum.

Well, maybe it is if you normally stay in 5 star hotels. But that aint me!

Rich.
 sammycolon 16 Jul 2012
You could try this one at a bargin price http://www.firebox.com/product/4865/Marchi-Mobile-eleMMent-RV
 Bulls Crack 16 Jul 2012
In reply to ollieollie:

Anyone want to join me in a campaign to get these things banned from our roads?
 the power 16 Jul 2012
In reply to Bulls Crack: no
 cas smerdon 16 Jul 2012
In reply to Sam Mayfield: It looks impressive but when it opens out the back is a bed and you don't need a bed and seats at the same time. I have a T4 that sleeps 2 on a rock n roll bed and 2 in the roof and it has 4 seat belts.

Are you going to France this summer? I'm going to Switzerland on 25th July then on to France on 4th August until 22nd, in my T4.

Carole
In reply to cas smerdon:

Hi Cas, how you doing? T4 good move.

We are staying local this summer so Alberacin, Montenejos etc

Have fun drive safe.

Sam orange x
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to ollieollie)
>
> Anyone want to join me in a campaign to get these things banned from our roads?

Because?
Frogger 16 Jul 2012
In reply to Bulls Crack:

I don't think they are actually on our roads, given how many they will have sold (or rather not sold)..
 Madden 16 Jul 2012
In reply to Sam Mayfield: Jealousy, I can only presume
 Oliver Houston 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Sam Mayfield: Must admit, I want one... Can't (won't ever) afford it.

However, how many seats has it got? does the pod have to be extended for people to sit in the back while driving? Or is it only really a 2-seater? (in which case why on earth would you need the extra room?)

Also even in the pop-up roof, doesn't look like there's a bed, so is it only 2 birth? Or do the seats in the kitchen area fold down, so you have 2 doubles in tandem, maybe???

My converted (and soon to be returned to rightful owner) T4 seats 4 comfortably while driving and sleeps 4 at a push. So the doubleback seems like a good concept, but actually not as practical as it could/should be.
 Fraser 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Oliver Houston:
>
> However, how many seats has it got? does the pod have to be extended for people to sit in the back while driving? Or is it only really a 2-seater? (in which case why on earth would you need the extra room?)

You precisely highlight why this is a well-engineered, bad design. It is essentially a 2 seater, although in the 2nd video the reviewer says you can specify a double passenger seat, so it could become a (max.) 3 seater. To my mind, this is the fundamental flaw in the idea.

It certainly looks very nice, but there's no point in solving a problem by creating a further, bigger problem.
OP Sam Mayfield 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Oliver Houston:

That's the down side the seats, at the moment you can only drive with two people but sleeps 4 as yes it has a drop down bed.

Good for storage though and extra room for us would have been great as we have 5 dogs!

However the killer for me is not standing up as mentioned below that's why we have a transit high top.

Sam
 Cuthbert 17 Jul 2012

Pros and cons I guess. A T4 or T5 isn't good even with a pop up roof for where we live (north of Scotland) as the roof isn't strong enough or warm enough for winter use. I have a Trafic LWB High roof which is great as you can stand up and it drives fairly well. I recently had 710 miles from one tank.
 Toby_W 17 Jul 2012

No that's it, I want the 1.9 million pound one because it has a propeller windscreen wiper. How cool is that?

Cheers

Toby
 Richard Carter 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Toby_W:

It looks a bit girlie, you want a real campervan, like one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsieu7cKna0&feature=related

:-D
OP Sam Mayfield 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Richard Carter:

How do you park that a tesco?

:0)
 Richard Carter 17 Jul 2012

You park wherever you like, who's going to argue with you
 gingerdave13 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Richard Carter: this is the car for parking where you like!

youtube.com/watch?v=DHZAUnQeIVo&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...