UKC

Jon Lord has died

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 16 Jul 2012
Of cancer at the age of 71.

http://www.nme.com/news/deep-purple/64953

I played the clip on the web page and must admit to getting a lump in in my throat as the song reached it's climax, as a sixteen year old I and probably half the street knew every note of it. I'd forgotten what fine musicians were in that band.

coinneach 16 Jul 2012
In reply to Removed User:

Aye I remember seeing him with Whitesnake at The Apollo.

Biggest cheer of the night was when a roadie switched on his Leslie speakers and that enormous "WHooosh" filled the theatre!

Met him after the gig too and he was a Gent.

In reply to Removed User: Just starting a Purple period in memory. Fine musician, that man.

T.
In reply to Removed User: Bastard...even though they were before my time I was a Deep Purple fanatic in my mid/late teens an loved Jon Lord's Hammond work. Think I might break out the Fireball Album in his honour.
 David Hooper 16 Jul 2012
In reply to Removed User: i will be digging out Deep Purple in Rock later tonight. Lucky enough to have grown up with them.
 JamButty 16 Jul 2012
In reply to Removed User: Sad - RIP
Really sad news RIP
In reply to Removed User: Yep, I grew up with them too.

Sad day, John Lord was a real gentleman by all accounts.
 deepsoup 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Nicholas Livesey:
> even though they were before my time I was a Deep Purple fanatic in my mid/late teens an loved Jon Lord's Hammond work.

Same here. RIP.
 graeme jackson 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Removed User: Very sad. I only saw deep purple once in 1972 but they remain among my regular listening.
 Dave Garnett 17 Jul 2012
> as a sixteen year old I and probably half the street knew every note of it.

Me too. Actually I still do, although I'm generally playing along with Richie Blackmore.

Made in Japan was the first album I ever bought when I was about 14 and I only recently got it again on CD to inflict on my kids in turn. The live version of Lazy still gets played on the way to the crag surprisingly often. Magical dueting of Lord and Blackmore.
 SimonCRMC 17 Jul 2012

Glad to know there's some Purple fans on here. Hope you're all doing the best tribute to one fo the greatest ever - digging out the old albums and playing them LOUD!
 John Gillott 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Dave Garnett:

I was in Sheffield at the w/e seeing the folks. My mother put some music on in the evening, a collection of old swing numbers, which included the track Bach goes to Town. Hold that tune I told her, and dashed upstairs to dig out The Made in Japan version of Lazy from among my old LPs that I'd left in the back bedroom. She always liked that track and we listened to the whole of it. Couldn't persuade her that we should go on to Space Truckin' afterwards though.
 waterbaby 17 Jul 2012

Not a bad age but still a sad day. I did wonder when it was announced whether anyone would actually know who he was....I do but I guess lots of people won't.

I was one when they formed Deep Purple, it never stopped me discovering them in my teens. I'm so glad I did.

He's left us the music
In reply to Removed User: Thanks for all the great music and Knebworth '85 Jon. Have fun Truckin' around the stars!
 Euge 31 Jul 2012
In reply to Removed User: Just found out about this and it is sad news. I saw him in 1984 with Whitesnake, still listen to them and DP nowadays.

RIP Jon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...