UKC

First Road Bike, what do I get?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Vaughany89 17 Jul 2012
As the title suggests, I'm looking at getting my first road bike. I don't have a massive budget so not looking for anything too fancy. Is a Diamondback DBR Pursuit good for a first or should I look at something else?
 Voltemands 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Vaughany89: I think that with bikes you get what you pay for, and I was also in your situation a couple of years back. I'm glad I saved up the money to get a good bit of kit ~750. However, that mayn't help you. When I was looking at low end bikes, the Carrera TDF seemed to be the best option for little money.
 Scarab9 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Vaughany89:

depends how much you're looking to spend but I have an old roadie from Decathlon (about 5 years old I think, though I've only had a year and half after getting it second hand).

It's not the fanciest bike and there's certainly lighter out there, but for the cost (based on new price) it's very good and has done pretty well being ridden 150k a week for over a year not to mention what it had before I got it. There's usually some bits that you'll find you'll replace after not too long but in general they seem to make good bikes and it will still end up being a good deal.
 jacobjlloyd 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Vaughany89: buy something second hand and upgrade components yourself as needed - you'll get more bike for your money that way, and won't look like such a tart. Loads of good bikes on ebay, and there are some mega deals now and then on gumtree.
 cousin nick 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Vaughany89:

I recently bought a road bike (I sold my Mercian 25+ years ago!). Like you, I didn't want to spend much and in my case, I wanted something that was gonna be reasonably comfortable for a 50 year old on day long rides.
I therefore decided pre-owned was the way forward and searched regularly on ebay and via retrobike too, but limited my searches to a distance so that I could see the bikes before buying.
I looked at several (Thorn - sadly too small, vintage Peugeot - too knackered!) and then finally ended up buying one from a guy in our village! A 14-month old Specialized Secteur, only done 1000km and less than half the price of a new one. Chuffed to bits with it.

So, I'd recommend searching around, having a look and if poss, a test ride before buying.
Another advantage of this approach is that you get to chat to some genuinely interesting people and the bike you end up buying might have some interesting history under its wheels.
Good Luck
In reply to cousin nick:

I got back in to cycling after 'inheriting' my daughter's old Raleigh Kelloggs Tour model that I'd bought for her as a teenager. It was reasonably well specced for its age with 12 speed shimano gears, Q/R wheels and Reynolds tubing.

After about 6 months I was hankering for something a bit better and noticed that my LBS had hung some decent quality s/h Campag parts (9 speed Veloce gears, Victory chainset & brakes) on a shop soiled ally frame with carbon forks. It was my size and it was a snip at £250. It's basically the Ribble Audax (but with Bill Nickson transfers). It still gives excellent service as my winter hack some 5 years on.

It's always worth looking for a used bargain.
 jules699 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Vaughany89: I'm being lazy and bumping off the back of this...also on the prowl for a new first road bike. Got a road-ish at mo but its flat bar. Tempted by the ribble sportive 7005....any advice?
loopyone 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Vaughany89: I bought a second hand Trek 1000 SL with upgraded wheels and front chain rings for £150. They seem to generally go for around £200-£250 on ebay and it is brilliant. I have ridden friends more expensive and newer bikes and really can't tell the difference.
 Tiberius 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Vaughany89:

The most important thing in my view is to get one that fits.

At the budget end, they're all going to be made of alloy, nothing wrong with that, just not the comfort and lightness of a £1,000 plus carbon bike...but you're unlikely to be doing the sort of rides where it really makes much difference (i.e. 100+ mile).

Groupset doesn't really matter, try to avoid sora, but the budget versions of SRAM and Campag seem fine in my view. tbh whatever you get, even sora, will do, if you like the sport, in 12 months you'll probably want to upgrade and have a clearer idea of what you want.

I'm always dubious about 2nd hand, there are perfectly good bikes new for £300 or so, I've seen many 2nd hand bike on ebay go for more than you would pay new for a similar spec bike. Of course you CAN get bargains, luck of the draw unless you know what you're looking for.
 steve taylor 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Vaughany89:

One of the cycling mags recently reviewed a £300 Decathlin B'Twin bike against some rather more expensive models and it came out very well. Don;t remember the name of it, but it had carbon forks

Found it: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-id_8167038.html
 JamButty 17 Jul 2012
In reply to tatty112:
> (In reply to Vaughany89) I bought a second hand Trek 1000 SL with upgraded wheels and front chain rings for £150. They seem to generally go for around £200-£250 on ebay and it is brilliant. I have ridden friends more expensive and newer bikes and really can't tell the difference.

Yep go second hand, get a good make and quality for a few hundred quid, then if you really get into it get a carbon one for £4000.
I got a Spec Allez 2008 last year for £150, in fantastic condition.
 nniff 18 Jul 2012
In reply to Vaughany89:

ANother vote for second hand. I gave up with ebay after a while and switched to gum tree. You need to be patient and need to be quick when the right bike comes up. You also need to be doscerning as you will speak to people who are plainly not the legitimate owners of the bike.

I got a mint condition Trek (alloy with carbon forks), almost unused but a few years old, full 10 speed 105, pedals, computer and a matching jersey and shorts for £350.

The closest I could get new with a sprinkling of 105 was at least double that.

3leggeddog 18 Jul 2012
In reply to nniff:
> (In reply to Vaughany89)
>
> I got a mint condition Trek (alloy with carbon forks), almost unused but a few years old, full 10 speed 105, pedals, computer and a matching jersey and shorts for £350.
>
Eewww, second hand shorts
 nniff 18 Jul 2012
In reply to 3leggeddog:
> (In reply to nniff)
> [...]
> Eewww, second hand shorts.

Quite, so in the bin they went.

ajsteele 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Vaughany89:

What about looking for 2011 bike models on sale like this one which is pretty cheap http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/ventura-strada-road-item172443.html?gclid=CN...
Rigid Raider 19 Jul 2012
I would strongly recommend Decathlon's Triban 3, it's outstanding for the price. I've just bought one for my son aged 13 and I showed it to a roadie neighbour and challenged him to put a price on it. With the 6061 aluminium frame, gorgeous red paintwork, carbon fork, triple chainrings and Shimano 2300 gears he reckoned £500, when it actually cost £300. I put some decent tyres on it and my son is thrilled with it and has even started coming out with me for some 25 miles + rides.
Dean hepworth 04 Aug 2012
jumping in on this thread , im also looking for my first road bike , i am 6ft2 ive looked around evanscycles and chainreaction i would probably spend upto 600 maybe i seen this and didnt think it looked to bad what do you think?
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/jamis/ventura-sport-2012-road-bike-ec03...
Tim Chappell 04 Aug 2012
In reply to Vaughany89:

This isn't my first road bike, nor is it particularly cheap. In fact it's the most expensive bike I've ever owned. But as it happens, this very day I bought one of these:

http://www.feltbicycles.com/United-Kingdom/2012/Road/F-Series/F95.aspx

Got it for £550 instead of £649 because my friendly bike shop man likes my face. I've only ridden it 10k so far, but it feels pretty good. At that price, it had bloody better
 Tiberius 05 Aug 2012
In reply to Dean hepworth:
> ...i seen this and didnt think it looked to bad what do you think?

For that price you can certainly do better than Sora. Look at posts higher in this thread for suggestions/discussion.
 sopaz 05 Aug 2012
In reply to Vaughany89:
You really can't beat the BTwin Triban 3 from Decathlon - Not sure how true this is but a staff member told me they lose money on every one they sell, on the presumption you will buy one and spend loads more buying lights/helmet etc.

Dean hepworth 06 Aug 2012
after having a mooch around i have been looking at ribble bikes
the sportive 7005 would that be a good starting point , and if so would there be any upgrades i should grab while im there ?
also i have no pedals so can anybody tell me what way to go with those ? thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...