UKC

Dream Dad crag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nik king 17 Jul 2012
I'm on holiday in Snowdonia next week and i'm nurturing a dream.

In my dream there's a deep blue sky studded with cotton wool clouds. The easily angled 25m high slab in front of me is reflecting the warmth of the sun off it's perfect single pitch of clean grey granite. My 9 year old is attempting her first ever severe, having climbed half a dozen diff's and vdiff's earlier in the day on the same easily accessed crag whilst i cheer her on, belaying her from the comfort of a bottom rope. The rest of the family watch on whilst lazing comfortably on the flat ground at the base of the crag rising frequently to chase to dog who bounds playfully in the long grass.

Is this merely a wishfull vision of climbers heaven or does this magical realm truly exist?
 richardh 17 Jul 2012
In reply to nik king:

France.

yes, I read your post, good luck in Snowdonia.
 staceyjg 17 Jul 2012
In reply to nik king:

Little Tryfan!!

Now all you need is the blue sky (forget the clouds)!!
 Bulls Crack 17 Jul 2012
In reply to nik king:

Not a lot of granite in Snowdonia. It was a dream!
OP nik king 17 Jul 2012
In reply to richardh:

Aha, that may be why in the dream I can't understand a word of the chatter from the locals at the crag.

Second thoughts, could still be Wales.
 Wilbur 17 Jul 2012
In reply to staceyjg:
> (In reply to nik king)
>
> Little Tryfan!!
>
> Now all you need is the blue sky (forget the clouds)!!

Yes EXCEPT it's 50m high...

staceyjg 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Wilbur:

is it?? Been a long time since I have been there, must be bigger than I remember!! Are you sure??
 staceyjg 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Wilbur:

Oh, just checked, upto 80m in parts... maybe his 9 year old could do her first diff lead on one of the shorter routes, and do it in one pitch... or he could go and buy a 100m rope to setup a top rope!!

Dave Ferguson 17 Jul 2012
In reply to nik king:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=10821

lliwedd bychan, delightfull family crag away from it all, not polished like the ogwen alternatives, can't guarentee the weather though
 Scarab9 18 Jul 2012
In reply to staceyjg:

I've seen a tiny kid with dummy in mouth doing a top rope on little tryfan from an anchor set up at 1/3rd height. she was loving it. So defintely worth considering.
 Tom Valentine 18 Jul 2012
In reply to nik king:

Barmouth Slabs? ( Never been myself but it sounds nice).
Good fish and chips nearby.
 MariaT 19 Jul 2012
In reply to nik king:
Treadog upper tier? Can't remember the grades, but it's shortish and I seem to remember a family top-roping some routes, with dog in tow and they seemed to be having fun. Didn't even mind me swearing my head off as I had a 'moment' leading next to them
 MariaT 19 Jul 2012
In reply to MariaT:

* Tremadog upper tier *
 chris wyatt 19 Jul 2012
In reply to nik king: Next time come to south wales and climb on pobbles bay or king wall. (its a beach rather than a meadow) Alternatively you could try anglesey - Holyhead mountain. I've never climbed there but the setting seems about right

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...