UKC

North Wales this weekend- Conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lukeva 18 Jul 2012
Are there any folk in Llanberis/Ogwen area who can help with a few questions, I realise that it will mainly be conjecture, and that the country is basically a washout, but, we are looking for routes multi-pitch routes VDiff – Softer end VS.

We are planning a trip to N Wales this weekend:

1) What is the likelihood of any routes in the above grade range being dry Friday/Saturday? We were thinking maybe Carreg Wasted: The Wrinkle, Crackstone Rib, Skylon, and or Shadow Wall

2) If the above is notoriously wet are there any quick drying routes/crags that folk can recommend?

3) If rock routes are all destined to be wet and slippery horror shows any recommendations for adventurous long scrambles that maybe safer in the wet? Maybe East Gully Ridge, Glyder Fach or Amphitheatre Buttress (I realise this is V Diff)

4) Should we stay at home and come back next year?

We are happy with cragging or mountain routes, any advice most gratefully received

Thanks
 Marq 18 Jul 2012
In reply to Lukeva:

The routes on the East Face of Tryfan were bone dry on Sunday, no seepage to speak of. Friends were climbing in the slate quarries both Saturday and Sunday without problems as well.

Marq
 CurlyStevo 18 Jul 2012
In reply to Marq:
Tryfan east face was definately dryer / less seeping than the pass in the main the weekend before last. There is much less vegetated hill side above it in the main which makes all the difference
 gingerdave13 18 Jul 2012
In reply to Lukeva: jumping on this topic... what are conditions like underfoot? I'm guessing slightly damp!

I'm intending taking the missus up the watkins path (ohh er!) camping at the NT place at the start.

Plans for sunday are yet to be decided options include:
glyder fawr/fach from the south.
Moel Hebog from beddgelert
Moel Siabod from capel curig
or a lakey walk Llyn yr Adar & Llyn Edno with possibly moel Meirch tacked on.

any input on these appreciated. Thanks!
OP Lukeva 18 Jul 2012
In reply to Marq:
> (In reply to Lukeva)
>
> The routes on the East Face of Tryfan were bone dry on Sunday, no seepage to speak of. Friends were climbing in the slate quarries both Saturday and Sunday without problems as well.
>
> Marq

Thanks slate may be an option...
OP Lukeva 18 Jul 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> (In reply to Marq)
> Tryfan east face was definately dryer / less seeping than the pass in the main the weekend before last. There is much less vegetated hill side above it in the main which makes all the difference

Right, that makes a lot of sense. I've done Grooved Arete so was thinking elsewhere but could well be worth a look
 Marq 18 Jul 2012
In reply to gingerdave13:

I would expect that some parts of Moel Siabod would be really boggy given all the rain of late!

Generally damp underfoot but no worse than say autumn conditions. No need for gaiters on the approach to or from Tryfan.

The Glyderau from the south goes on a fairly good path I seem to recall so most probably okay. You should get a good feel for conditions on the Saturday though.

Marq
 gingerdave13 18 Jul 2012
In reply to Marq: cool, cheers for the info. I thought the Siabod option was goig to be a bit optimistic.
 ark05 18 Jul 2012
weather is ok at the moment.

forecast looks fine for the weekend... wasted is south facing so i'd say it will be mostly dry..

dont bother with anything north facing.. it takes far longer to dry.
In reply to Lukeva: I was out for a run today over Mynydd Mawr in the hebog area and it was reasonably dry and the forecast for the next few days is looking good. we're off to Gogarth tomorrow which generally gets the better weather if it's crap elsewhere.

Tryfan was quite dry last week and the Glyderau is quite rocky so dries quickly anyway.
I have no idea what the pass is doing at the moment. I've been waiting for a guaranteed dry spell to get out up there but so far i've missed out though I know wastad tends to be drier than its higher counterparts in the pass as does the Grochan. Dinas mot dries quickly if there's a wind.

All in all, I'd risk it as there will be dry rock somewhere.
OP Lukeva 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Lukeva: Thanks for all the comments, very helpful
 gingerdave13 20 Jul 2012
In reply to Lukeva: p.s looking like a good 'un.

wonder how rammed it'll be!
 snoop6060 20 Jul 2012
In reply to gingerdave13:

Is Gogarth main cliff generally OK at the moment? And the pass (sunny side)?

Cardi 20 Jul 2012
In reply to Lukeva: It rained heavily all afternoon today
OP Lukeva 23 Jul 2012
In reply to Lukeva: What a great weekend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...