UKC

Car parked outside house for nearly 4 months..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Title says it all really. Parking is a premium on our street, you come home after 8pm and you will more than likely park at least 50 meters away from your house. Ok, I can live with that. But, there has been a car left right outside my house for just under 4 months. It is taxed and nobody on the street knows who it belongs to. I called the local police station who told me that it is not reported stolen and as it is taxed, it is legally parked and there is nothing I can do about it. Obviously they wouldn't divulge who the owner was.

It's starting to wind me up now.

Any non illegal suggestions as to what I can do?
 MG 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Game of Conkers: If there is a (unfortunate) minor accident, DVLA will let you know.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@mo...
 TobyA 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Game of Conkers: Not much help for you but where I live you can text the reg plate to the vehicle registration authority and they will text you back the owners phone number so you can call the owner and moan!
 Trangia 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Game of Conkers:

Do nothing and stop letting it wind you up.

If it or other cars were coming and going and parking in the same place every night would that bother you? Assuming you managed to secure this space when it was empty, what would you do then? Leave your car parked there for 4 months? Would that make you feel better?
 Scarab9 19 Jul 2012

leave a note under the wiper. If it has been parked there for 4 months without moving (it may be they only use it for short journeys during the day when most people are working) then it's quite likely that the owner will walk past it and notice the note.
 EarlyBird 19 Jul 2012

Are there any unopened milk bottles building up on any of your neighbours' doorsteps?
In reply to Trangia: Agree that it's not "my" space, and I would rarely get a spot outside my house even before this car turned up. It maybe irrational, but it does p1ss me off a bit...and not just me I might add, the neighbours on both sides a fecked off as well. Like I said, there is not enough room for all the house dwellers cars. I had no issue before with any car parked outside my house, just the fact this one is now going to be there until potentially November (that's when tax runs out).

jkarran 19 Jul 2012

> Any non illegal suggestions as to what I can do?

Worry about something else.
jk
In reply to Scarab9: It doesn't move in the daytime. neighbours are retired and have never seen it move and also the disks are so rusted the brakes haven't been used at all. And there's a newspaper on the drivers seat...which has not moved either.
In reply to jkarran: I don't have anything else to worry about..
 Milesy 19 Jul 2012
> (In reply to Scarab9) It doesn't move in the daytime. neighbours are retired and have never seen it move and also the disks are so rusted the brakes haven't been used at all. And there's a newspaper on the drivers seat...which has not moved either.

The street does not belong to you or hour house unfortunately. If it is not causing an obstruction, not stolen and is taxed then there is nothing you can do. It is a public highway. How long until the tax runs out? You are going to need to wait until then for either it to be come untaxed or for the owner to collect or retax it.
 deepsoup 19 Jul 2012
If you think it's been abandoned, maybe you should report it to your local council as an abandoned vehicle. It doesn't really matter that it's taxed:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/WhereYouLive/Streetcleaninglit...
 Scarab9 19 Jul 2012

as in the above link then and let them investigate.
could be someone who's been ill long term and therefore not driving. Could be someone with a driving ban. Could be other things.
 Trangia 19 Jul 2012

I know exactly how you feel as I used to live in a road where there was not enough parking and as you say you start to get irrational about other cars taking what you perceive to be your "space" (even though it isn't)! So I wasn't having a go at you merely suggesting that you have to try and work through this irrationality

I remember getting to the stage that having secured a space reasonably close to and occasionally even outside my house I got paranoid about driving it again in case I "lost my space". Strangers and non residents who "dared" to park in "our" street were regarded with paricucular venom. The upside of this paranoia was that I saved a lot on wear and tear on the car and fuel and took to walking more than usual or using public transport. I remember sitting on a bus once, looking at my fellow travellers and wondering how many of them were using it to preserve their precious parking space! At this stage I realised what a twit I was being and decided to stop worrying about it, accept that I had no parking space and to consider that if I returned from a trip to find a space then it was a bonus.

Eventually I moved house and off street parking became a priority on my "must have" list
 owlart 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Scarab9:
> (In reply to Game of Conkers)
>
> as in the above link then and let them investigate.
> could be someone who's been ill long term and therefore not driving. Could be someone with a driving ban. Could be other things.

When I damaged my neck and was unable to drive, my car stayed in the same place on the street for about 18months!
 jkarran 19 Jul 2012

> I don't have anything else to worry about..

Lucky you.
In reply to Trangia: The funny thing is, the rest of the street are far more aggressive towards parking than I am. Bins and cones were all put out when they moved their cars to preserve the space. That behaviour was stopped by the council sending everyone a letter saying it would investigate anymore activity of this nature. I really don't mind not being able to park outside my house, we only have one car, my two neighbours have five cars between them. That doesn't bother me.

But for some reason...this car has.

Good points re someone being ill or lost their licence.

Maybe I should cut my nose off to spite my face and request the coucil make the street permit holders only

doz generale 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Trangia:

My last flat was in london, near a tube station, no parking restrictions so it used to fill up during the week with commuters using the tube. Really annoying! i could never park near my house and often had to park in the next street. I remember getting irrational about parking and would always treasure the "just outside the house" spot if i was ever lucky enough to get it. Some of the residents petitioned the local council to put parking restrictions in place so that you could not park there all day but not sure if it ever came to anything.

I now live in a house with a driveway! my irrational parking stress is a thing of the past!

To the OP if i were you i would register the car as abandoned. I'm not sure if this i the case but if a car is classed by the DVLA as abandoned you can claim it as your own! You may get a free car out of it!
 Rubbishy 19 Jul 2012

Maybe it belongs to a Tetrapak billionaire.
 SFM 19 Jul 2012
In reply to John Rushby:

If that's the case then I'd check the boot first...
Bimbler 19 Jul 2012

Wait for the tax to expire? At worst you are nearly half way there!

Sounds like someone is unfortunately dead or dying. I'm sure you can pay a small fee to dvla if you have a legitimate reason to require their address -may need to be creative here...
fxceltic 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Game of Conkers: put an anonymous call into the police "theres a bomb in the boot of a car... etc"

one controlled explosion later and problem is dealt with, easy.
Cthulhu 19 Jul 2012
In reply to doz generale:
> (In reply to Trangia)
>
> I now live in a house with a driveway! my irrational parking stress is a thing of the past

Until some twunt parks across your drive. Not so bad if you're out, but someone once blocked my drive with my car on it...
 Neil Williams 19 Jul 2012
In reply to jkarran:

Or ask the Council to implement a permit scheme. But expect to pay a fee for reserving parking for residents.

Neil
 Neil Williams 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Trangia:

"Eventually I moved house and off street parking became a priority on my "must have" list"

And mine. I actually pulled out of a house purchase when, on making an evening visit, I noticed that people were not respecting allocated spaces. Was good in the end though, I got a bigger house with a proper driveway and garage in an area nearer to where I wanted to be for about the same money, so I was happy.

Neil
 Milesy 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Cthulhu:
> Until some twunt parks across your drive. Not so bad if you're out, but someone once blocked my drive with my car on it...

I believe it is actually illegal for someone to block you in and prevent you "access to the public highway" but conversely it is not illegal for someone to block you from getting *into* your driveway.
ceri 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Milesy: Where we used to live, people would come to the pub round the corner and block us into our parking space. Only thing to do would be to report them as drunk drivers when they leave the pub
 Milesy 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Neil Williams:
> And mine.

My last house had off street parking and we had still had constant grief with our neighbours over it because the space was unlined and unallocated.

We were a terrace of 4 houses with two large spaces outside each of which could sit two cars comfortably (one car for each house) or three cars at a very difficult squeeze. One of the neighbours at the other side of the terrace had two cars but rather than parking their extra car in their own side they straddled their main car over a large space and then forced myself and next door neighbour to squeeze our cars together for their secondary car. So you would be rushing home just so you could straddle your own car across your own space. If you didn't you can barely even get out your door and the neighbour at the other side rathered we were inconvenienced than them! argh
 EeeByGum 19 Jul 2012
In reply to doz generale:

> I now live in a house with a driveway! my irrational parking stress is a thing of the past!

When we were looking for houses, my wife wouldn't even consider terraces with street parking for very much this reason!
 Milesy 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Milesy:

By the way my new house has a dedicated drive way and it is absolutely awesome. I never knew something would be so important..

My street also has these recessed "guest bay" spots dotted randomly every hundred or so metres and they have now became the permanant parking spots for people with big transit vans who don't want their unsightly vans in their own driveways. I clocked this before we picked our house and picked our house as it didn't have one of these outside.
Wonko The Sane 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Game of Conkers: How DARE someone park a street legal car on a public road!!!!!

Cheek.
 Steve John B 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Milesy:
> (In reply to Cthulhu)
> [...]
>
> I believe it is actually illegal for someone to block you in and prevent you "access to the public highway" but conversely it is not illegal for someone to block you from getting *into* your driveway.

I thought you couldn't park next to a dropped kerb?

re OP, maybe they're saving up to get it fixed?
 gingerdave13 19 Jul 2012
In reply to EeeByGum: i'm beggining to wish i'd done the same thing. However, the same sized house with off street parking in our town is basically 100k+ more expensive.. try justifying that to yourself!
 gingerdave13 19 Jul 2012
In reply to gingerdave13: p.p.s basically had my car parked outside neighbours house for 5 months due to broken back.
 deepsoup 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane:
Well quite, if its merely parked. But if it seems like its been abandoned, there's no reason to wait until the tax runs out before looking into that.
 Gordonbp 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Cthulhu:

> Until some twunt parks across your drive. Not so bad if you're out, but someone once blocked my drive with my car on it...

And there's not much you can do about that either.
Having access to your drive across the pavement is a privilege in law, not a right of way...

Gordonbp 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Milesy:

> I believe it is actually illegal for someone to block you in and prevent you "access to the public highway"

AFAIK the access to the road across the pavement is a privilege in law, not a right of way - so no I don't think it is "illegal" to park across a driveway. Damned annoying, but not actually illegal...
In reply to Gordonbp:
> (In reply to Milesy)
>
> [...]
>
> AFAIK the access to the road across the pavement is a privilege in law, not a right of way - so no I don't think it is "illegal" to park across a driveway. Damned annoying, but not actually illegal...

I don't know the in's and outs but I saw this situation on a police programme once. The offending car got towed...
Cthulhu 19 Jul 2012
In reply to franny:
> (In reply to Gordonbp)
> [...]
>
> I don't know the in's and outs but I saw this situation on a police programme once. The offending car got towed...

We got no joy from the police - they suggested we phone the council. The council suggested we call the police.

Nowadays we have a private firm doing parking enforcement. One phone call to them and the car gets towed. I haven't needed to do it myself but my neighbour had someone parked across his drive when he got home from work. The tow truck was there within 15 minutes!

victorclimber 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Game of Conkers: a large nail down the side should do the trick
 EZ 19 Jul 2012
In reply to victorclimber:

And thank God for amazing people like you!
 EZ 19 Jul 2012

At the very least watch the date that the tax runs out and have it impounded when it does so.

Of course if it does have the tax changed and stays there I would be rather disappointed if I were you.

From http://www.money.co.uk/article/1006498-new-compulsory-car-insurance-laws-ho...
"Any vehicle registered for use on the road now needs to be insured. This applies to all cars, vans, motorbikes, motorhomes and trucks, even if they aren't in use."

You can check the insurance status of the vehicle for free here: http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/
 birdie num num 19 Jul 2012
Hire a towing dolly and tow the offending car round to Trangia's house. It can happilly stay there for the next four months.
 Trangia 19 Jul 2012
In reply to birdie num num:

That would be most unfair on the car's owner.
 Sharp 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Game of Conkers: Lift the car to the side, build a hollow platform where it was parked, place the car on top of said platform and then use the space underneath.

Ben
 Blue Straggler 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Milesy:
> (In reply to Milesy)
>
> By the way my new house has a dedicated drive way

Are there undedicated "drive ways"?
 Bulls Crack 19 Jul 2012
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Game of Conkers) Not much help for you but where I live you can text the reg plate to the vehicle registration authority and they will text you back the owners phone number so you can call the owner and moan!

About what? It's parked legally on the highway.
 birdie num num 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to TobyA)
> About what? It's parked legally on the highway.

That's why Num Num wouldn't complain or even advertise his upset. Num Num would just tow it down the road and leave it in the middle somewhere.
It's parked legally but selfishly.

Kipper 19 Jul 2012
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Game of Conkers) Not much help for you but where I live you can text the reg plate to the vehicle registration authority and they will text you back the owners phone number so you can call the owner and moan!

Not in a world where they know how to correctly deal with personal data they won't.

(We had the same thing as the OP - got the same response from the council/police, but eventually the local lads came and got their car started and moved it)

mountainmadness 19 Jul 2012

Maybe the owner has gone travelling or 'away' for a while.

When I cleared off for 6 months I left my car outside a house near the train station that marked the start of my travels, this was in London btw. When I got back my car had a letter on the screen requested I move it, they left a number which I called and explained, they were fine and came out to see me, I apologised for any inconvenience caused and gave them a small bag of treats I'd bought in Brazil and all was good. We stayed in contact and now call each other friends.

Be nice, no need for all that nails shit and stuff, you might actually make new friends.

Just my tuppence
In reply to Bulls Crack: That's the thing. It's parked legally so there is nothing I can do about it. If I could have found out contact details of the owner I would have reached out to them and asked them if there was any reason why it was no longer in use and if they wouldn't mind moving it, possibly to outside their own house.

But not possible....so there it is. I will just start looking forward to the day it goes rather than getting annoyed about the days before that.
 stonemaster 20 Jul 2012
In reply to Game of Conkers: How about placing a polite note under the wiper asking if the owner requires assistance to move the vehicle to a better place? Good luck.
 Mike Stretford 20 Jul 2012
In reply to Game of Conkers: As others have pointed out you can report it as abandoned if it does bother you too much. Whatever happens some form of assistance will be needed to get the thing moving again.
 cuppatea 20 Jul 2012
is it insured?

http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

*wink*
 The Lemming 20 Jul 2012

Four months?

That's a pathetic amount of time. My neighbour has abandoned a car outside my house for 2 years straight.

Saying that, he is going to court in August for keying my car and he was found guilty of assaulting me, this month. I may be bit slow on the uptake but I don't think my neighbour likes me.
 Neil Williams 20 Jul 2012
In reply to Milesy:

"My last house had off street parking and we had still had constant grief with our neighbours over it because the space was unlined and unallocated."

I've had this, the space was marked on the land registry entry so clearly owned, but the developer didn't mark them out.

If I'd owned it I would have marked it myself. But as it was it caused no end of hassle.

IMO, buy a house with a proper, obvious driveway. Which means staying away from new estates, but that's fine as houses in new estates are often crap little wooden-framed boxes anyway.

Neil
In reply to Blue Straggler:

"Are there undedicated "drive ways"?"

Probably not, but there are many houses with shared "allocated parking", on which people tend to park more than one car when they are allocated only one space, park in the wrong space, leave junk, bins etc.

It's a stupid idea invented by modern day housebuilders for the sake of being able to squash in a few more houses on their crappy estates. At least if you're going to do it, line the bays and mark them with the number of their owners.

Neil
 Mikkel 20 Jul 2012
In reply to Neil Williams:
And fine people if they dont park in them.
close to where i work there is a new build estate, each house got its own parking space, most with room for 2 cars.
Most of them park on the road though, blocking 1 lane, guess they are to lazy to do the 20 sec walk from the parking space that came with the house.
In reply to Mikkel:

"And fine people if they dont park in them."

In most countries in Europe that aren't the UK, you may only park where it says you can, rather than the UK approach which is that you can park somewhere unless it says you can't.

It'd be a painful change, but may be something worth investigating.

Neil
 Duncan Bourne 20 Jul 2012

>
> Any non illegal suggestions as to what I can do?

Nar but if you slip us a few quid I'll phone up the rozzers in a thick foreign accent and tell them it is a car bomb. That'll shift it.
Mind you you might need your front windows replacing when they blow it up
 parkovski 20 Jul 2012

When this kind of thing makes you so angry it's time to leave the city... Possibly to live in some sort of cave, it's up to you really.
 krikoman 20 Jul 2012
In reply to Game of Conkers: Fire, and lots of it.
In reply to parkovski: Cave parking is actually far worse. You have to buy a parking hermit off the council
Jimbo W 24 Jul 2012

We live in a small cul de sac with very little parking space. We had neighbours move in recently who turned their large garden / off road parking into one large garden. They have two quite big estate cars, a BMW and a VW Passat. One of them works full time, part time, but goes into work with the husband. They put one of their cars infront of their driveway / lowered curb (which is now a purely historical driveway given that the area is now totally garden with beds and children's climbing frames etc, so no room for car). The other car goes along the adjacent pavement. Each morning, they do a car shuffle, swapping the passat with the BMW at the adjacent pavement parking space keeping their lowered pavement / driveway free to be parked in by them when they return in the evening. I've never seen both cars away, during the working day, evening or weekend. Their behaviour has made already tight parking far worse, and I think it is incredibly selfish. Consistent with this, the family don't really communicate with anyone else in the street despite us trying to be friendly. So i've pretty much written them off!
 Alex Slipchuk 24 Jul 2012
In reply to Game of Conkers: you could cover the car in bird seed, daily late at night is best. Won't take long before the tax disc is obscured, especially if you have a pigeon population. You could then phone local authority as an environmental hazard. But of course i wouldn't recommend it as it could cause a slip hazard on pavement and resulting law suit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...