UKC

Scarpa Charmoz for island peak?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Frazzman 19 Jul 2012
I'm looking at climbing island peak this November and I was thinking about foot wear. I currently have a set of scarpa charmoz's would these be adequate? I know it's not advised but will i get away with it?

Any advice, past experiences, or mocking is welcome

Frazer
 Darkskys 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Frazzman: I wouldn't recommend it mate, mainly the Charmoz are aimed at 4000m's e.g the alps etc.
I topped out on Mont Blanc with these on in summer and when doing research for them temperature wise they were at teir limit.
 L.A. 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Frazzman: I doubt it. Ive done IP a few times and Nepal Evos are almost at their limit there. It can get pretty cold in november @ 6000m and worrying about, and managing cold feet is no fun at all.
If you can pay enough to go to Nepal pay a little more and buy some s/hand Vegas or similar Then at least you wont have to turn back due to cold feet and regret wasting a trip for the sake of a few £s

Jimbo C 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Frazzman:

I've only worn my Charmoz for easy Scottish Winter routes. They'd probably be up to the job from a technical point of view but I certainly wouldn't want to use them anywhere seriously cold.
 Glen 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Frazzman:

I like my charmoz for scrambling and a bit of snow/crampon work here and there but I definitely wouldn't take them anywhere where it is likely to be cold, or lots of snow/crampon action.
In reply to Frazzman: if you value your toes I would get some warmer boots.
 mattc 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Frazzman: Double boots advised!!!
 David Hooper 20 Jul 2012
In reply to Frazzman: definitely not,you need something better insulated
 Alex90 20 Jul 2012
In reply to Frazzman:

La Sportiva Spantiks, Scarpa Phantom 6000, La Sportiva Baruntse...I'd be going for one of those. Quite pricey but worth it for your toes I guess.
 avayaman 21 Jul 2012
In reply to Frazzman: ummmmmm NO! I wore Scarpa Vega's on Mera and still got cold feet. I've got a pair of Scarpa Charmoz and I didn't wear them on Mont Blanc and I'm glad I didn't.Charmoz 4000m max.
Get some double plastic boots-vega's or Koflachs. Keep your toes!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...