UKC

Gopro problem with adhesive mount on ridged helmet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alps_p 21 Jul 2012
Just bought the camera and realized that my Petzl helmet has a ridge/crest along the centre of it. Neither the flat nor curved adhesive stickers that came in the box would stick to the helmet surface closely enough. At the moment it seems that my options are, (1) try mounting using the stickers I've got, slightly off-centre - has anyone done this? (2) buying another mount, suction cup perhaps? (3) using the strap instead of adhesive stickers?

Just wondering if anyone has had similar problems..

I'd like to fix this before an alpine trip (Mittellegi hopefully) next week!..
 Flett 21 Jul 2012
In reply to alps_p: Try a vented helmet mount, I had the same problem with my Contour cam
 muppetfilter 21 Jul 2012
In reply to alps_p: I prefer the chest mount, it lends itself to smoother footage. Film of you waving your head left and right all the time soon gets boring.
OP alps_p 25 Jul 2012
In reply to flett53: thanks guys for replies. I'm going for the vented helmet strap as I don't have the chest one yet. Unfortunately there does seem to be quite a lot of up and down bounce on the footage when I walk with the helmet - I guess I will just have to live with it on this trip, and maybe get the chest strap later
 str1nger 25 Jul 2012
In reply to alps_p:

I use the basic head strap (with the rubber grip) as my helmet is smooth. I once used the sticker grips but when climbing in the ice and cold the glue stiffens up and it easily falls off with the slightest bump.

Also be aware, last climbing trip i managed to scratch the lens becasue when it is on your head you cant see where it is in relationship to the wall......£12 spares are available on the net. I think i am going to get the chest harness as there will be less liklihood of knocking it and the videos will be smoother. Sony Vegas Pro has a "stabalise" option if it does get a little bouncy.

Hope this helps

Mike
 agibb 25 Jul 2012
In reply to alps_p:

A guy at my office fixed his gopro to his smooth mountain biking helmet with sugru, which is remarkeable stuff. Available here:

http://sugru.com/

It's an air-curing adhesive rubber. Good for all manner of things.
 mlt 25 Jul 2012
In reply to agibb:

Amen to Sugru. That stuff kicks ass.
 David Hooper 26 Jul 2012
In reply to alps_p: helmet strap is fine but secure loose straps or the will flap around and leave your recording with horrendous background noise.I just purchased chest strap and it's a far superior POV for mtbing at least

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...